Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 PM

Jan Heine interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6x5VC2nAuE
Old 03-20-2018, 02:05 PM
Everything is connected

Thanks for sharing Eddie.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:13 PM

It is one Russ' better PLP talks. Jan provides good-natured commentary of how BQ came to be the way it is and why he does the thing he does. I dig it.

...When each of us reflects on what make cycling fun, I bet we can all trace at least one meaningful thing back to him. Fat supple tires, anyone, anyone? A bit of everyday adventure? etc etc. And Jan's stuff is getting better too as I think he's diversifying from his original rando-focus.

Instagram
Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Very nice
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 PM

Thanks for posting this!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 AM
Administrator

listened last night, quite a good interview, thanks for posting this.

pretty cool story about the beginnings of BQ, and how it was essentially an instant [relative] success.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:13 AM

Thanks for posting. He hits all the familiar themes (minus fenders). Jan has probably influenced the landscape more than any other single person.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:18 AM

Enjoyed this, thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
It is one Russ' better PLP talks. Jan provides good-natured commentary of how BQ came to be the way it is and why he does the thing he does. I dig it.

...When each of us reflects on what make cycling fun, I bet we can all trace at least one meaningful thing back to him. Fat supple tires, anyone, anyone? A bit of everyday adventure? etc etc. And Jan's stuff is getting better too as I think he's diversifying from his original rando-focus.
This is a really good point. Jan really liked the carbon diverge and loves his disc firefly.

Would not be surprised if compass expanded in some sort of way to embrace more modern tech.

Not finished with the interview but liking it so far.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Thanks for posting. He hits all the familiar themes (minus fenders). Jan has probably influenced the landscape more than any other single person.
True.

No randonneur in the 80's or 90's at least dressed in 1930's cycling garb until he came along and made retro dress-up fashionable over the past decade or thereabouts.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
This is a really good point. Jan really liked the carbon diverge and loves his disc firefly.

Would not be surprised if compass expanded in some sort of way to embrace more modern tech.

Not finished with the interview but liking it so far.
He was never against "modern tech" he was more against what the major cycling manufacturers were putting out, him along with Grant Peterson and Sheldon Brown were a voice for those of us who didn't fit the mold of Speed Racer, as I affectionally called Spandex Kit only crowd. I found there were others like me when I came upon the Internet-bobs in the mid 90's.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Did Jan ever figure out why the carbon diverge climbed faster than his so-called planing bike? I wasn't surprised. I don't remember any followup in BQ explaining.

He obviously found a niche market to sell stuff. Amazing to me. I still don't get the retro knickers, why wear non-aero kit that buggers up the crotch. They sell.

After eating breakfast at Loudeac on PBP, I came out and there was a crowd surrounding the bike of a rider who had also just arrived. The French and others were oggling all the retro fancy stuff on Jan's bike. It was quite the spectacle. It was like seeing a bunch of teenage boys fondling a Playboy circa 1967. Whether he created or tapped into an unfulfilled something or another, it is unclear. It is a remarkable thing seeing randos dressing and riding circa 1930-50's type equipment and kit on brevets....it is cool looking.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
He was never against "modern tech" he was more against what the major cycling manufacturers were putting out, him along with Grant Peterson and Sheldon Brown were a voice for those of us who didn't fit the mold of Speed Racer, as I affectionally called Spandex Kit only crowd. I found there were others like me when I came upon the Internet-bobs in the mid 90's.
I don't think I said he was ever against modern tech, if I did that is not what I meant.

Interesting you bring up Grant P, I feel like riv is not really keeping up. I guess they have their crowd but that diverge is a good example, and when Jan had it on the mag a few times in a row people were already dissing the magazine, "specialize must be sponsoring bq" amongst other idiotic comments.

Also on the spandex, I have to say, it looks ridiculous but so does the clothes compass sells. But comfort is comfort so whatever suits who is ridding in it.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I don't think I said he was ever against modern tech, if I did that is not what I meant.

Interesting you bring up Grant P, I feel like riv is not really keeping up. I guess they have their crowd but that diverge is a good example, and when Jan had it on the mag a few times in a row people were already dissing the magazine, "specialize must be sponsoring bq" amongst other idiotic comments.

Also on the spandex, I have to say, it looks ridiculous but so does the clothes compass sells. But comfort is comfort so whatever suits who is ridding in it.
Cool, just so you know who you are talking too. BTW I'm more in line with Jan's way of thinking then Grant but I was talking about how things were 20 years ago or so.

BTW I like the amusing part of the interview about testing customs bikes and one bike Jan tested, he didn't like how it rode and felt bad for the person the bike was made for since they hadn't received it before Jan tested it.

Last edited by bobswire; 03-21-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM

The whole comfort vs fashion thing is interesting I didn't realize he had much of a role in that.

It's much the same as MTB clothes. If you are just going on comfort and functionality it's impossible for me to put up with baggy MTB clothes. I started MTB riding when 99% of MTB riders were wearing the same things as road riders. The baggies came along and no matter what when I try them I just think they suck.

I get sweatier, I snag the shorts on the bike when riding technical terrain, getting off the saddle, etc.. they bounce when pedaling hard, they slow you down in the wind, etc..

Riding old fashioned clothes on the road is just more of the same to me.. if it makes my ride slower/less convenient/less comfortable and costs me lots of money forget it.

I do like a lot of the stuff he has evangelized but I'm also in that camp that I don't need it to look retro.

Good interview, although I've only gotten to listen to about 1/2 of it so far. People make such a big deal out of his claims on the internet that I think I thought he would be a contentious type of person but he seems pretty cool, the kind of person I'd be happy to ride with/talk to.