Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Moots Vamoots CR DI2

Looking at this Moots and wanted to know your thoughts. Its DI2 only not sure if that's why it hasn't sold. Been on craigslist for awhile.

Let me know what you think price wise and it being DI2 only.

I have no experience with DI2 so any comments would be appreciated.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...533212393.html

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moots.jpg (117.7 KB, 247 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 PM

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Especially if it is in as good of condition as stated. Really nice build too.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM

Oh, and Moots are great riding bikes. I have two!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Barely Hanging On

The price seems fairly reasonable, though there are only so many people willing to spend that much for a used bike. Although I've never owned a Moots, it is on my wish list and a good friend who has two just ordered another one. As far as Di2 is concerned, it just comes down to personal preference and I prefer it. The hoods are thinner than mechanical, which I prefer, and I also prefer the easier shifting action. I first started with Di2 because of a used bike I bought that already had it and was Di2 only.

My two cents is that if this bike fits you and your budget, you will be extremely happy with it.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonB View Post
Looking at this Moots and wanted to know your thoughts. Its DI2 only not sure if that's why it hasn't sold. Been on craigslist for awhile.

Let me know what you think price wise and it being DI2 only.

I have no experience with DI2 so any comments would be appreciated.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...533212393.html

Thanks
If you inquire with the seller, can you ask how much it weighs? Just curious as a point of reference. Seems like a reasonable deal, provided cassette, chainrings, hubs, rims are in sufficiently good condition.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:47 PM

Hey Bryon, I've seen that one for sale and here's my take on why it hasn't sold yet:

1. It's still the doldrums of winter here - general enthusiast bike sales (ie, not race bikes) won't pick up in earnest until June.

2. Di2 only is still a bit of a tough sale - it limits resale and future options, and not every enthusiast wants to mess with it or understands it.

3. Most of those who're likely interested in spending at least a few grand on a bike, and aren't planning to race it, have been convinced they need 32c tires and disc brakes, along with 44mm tapered headtubes and PF30 BBs.

All that said, if it's something that will fit you and your riding style, I personally think it's a phenomenal bike for riding around here: 25-27c tires are fine for our roads, titanium is easy to maintain, and the geometry lends itself to quick, but not twitchy, handling and all-day riding pleasure.

As for value, here's how I'd look at it:

F/F/HS: $1500-1750
6870 Di2 Group: $650
Wheelset: $550
Ti Post/Stem: $350
Misc other: $100

And that's based on it being in very good condition, needing no maintenance or spares.

Personally, I'd be willing to go a bit higher given they're the original owner, especially if they are responsive to your inquiries and seem like they've treated it well (ie., they are bike nerds like us).

That puts you at $3250-3450 in my book; which isn't too far off their asking.

Let us know how it goes; and if you want some company and I can fit it in my schedule, I'd be happy to meet up with you when you check it out. Or consider having them meet you at CyclePath on MLK (the Moots dealer) and throw those guys some cash to give it a once-over. They are a great shop.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:53 PM

That's an incredible offer by Clean to help you out!! Certainly may be worth taking him up on it. And maybe the owner is willing to wiggle a bit on the price. If it checks all your boxes and you take Clean up on his offer and it indeed is a Moots in great condition then I would think you would be very happy with it.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Agree with Clean39T on his valuation. I would add that the fork and turquoise bits also limit the bike's appeal. Essentially, other than the wheels, everything on that bikes is previous model/out of production, ie, dated. And, yes, I know that may appear silly but those who want electronic want 9150 and 8050 not 9070 or 6870.

Offer $3000 without the seatpost and saddle.

Also, confirm the size and geo. Frame doesnt look like a stock 54 to me.

Last edited by m4rk540; 03-20-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:30 PM

I think Clean pretty much nailed it.

I also think that most who want electronic gear will want the latest and the latest usually means disc or e tap with no wires etc im sure campy and shim will soon follow. Moots however perhaps is best known for the opposite, a timeless bike. This paticular frame isent really that timeless (well ofc it is but you know what i mean) nore is it the latest and greatest tech. It sort of hovers in the middle which is usually not the best position for a seller. Means good value for you?!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM

Also consider that it’s a short-cage RD and mid-compact, so if you want “climbing gears” for our steeps, factor the cost of new rings, chain, cassette, and RD in as well.

All of this gets to why I generally only buy framesets and build them myself - unless it’s a screaming deal, making the resale hassle worth it, or exactly the parts I’d pick myself.. And at this point, I’m rarely finding the hassle to be worth it.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the great advise everyone.

Clean thanks for the generous offer. I'm going to think about it and I'll let you know if I end up contacting the seller. Not totally sold yet on the DI2 idea.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:17 PM
v a n i l l a

Dont forget the price should reflect the condition of the item. I would always pay MORE if the item was in great shape or had low mileage/use cycles.

Di2 - no one needs it but for sure really great once you have it.

Just make sure it fits you