Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 PM

Computrainer custom setup

I know Computrainers are on there way out but I was able to get one with minimal investment. Who has experience setting one up with a heads up monitor maybe with perfpro that can provide guidance?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbianchi View Post
I know Computrainers are on there way out but I was able to get one with minimal investment. Who has experience setting one up with a heads up monitor maybe with perfpro that can provide guidance?
Not sure what you mean by “heads-up monitor,” my wife and I have two Computrainers, each set up with a laptop. We use Zwift, and I have a bunch or ErgVideos that I don’t use too much anymore. Each one is screwed into a piece of plywood covered with flooring tile. There are some instructions here. I just used two 4 x 8 sheets of plywood glued together for each platform and didn’t bother shipping them. I built the controller unit stands too. https://www.racermateinc.com/wp-cont...atform2014.pdf
Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 AM

What you presented is a certainly part of what I am looking for. What I imagining is the platform with a display mouted to a stand that would show a Perf Pro live analysis. Anyone done this?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:31 AM

If you have an HDMI out on the PC/Mac you're running Perf-Pro on you could send it to a TV display. There are lots of options for tripod tv stands if you need something more portable.

Side note - I'm guessing from your user name we used to ride together for GP. If so - What's up Keith!

Pete in Bloomington
Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 AM

Even without hdmi there is the old fashioned rgb cable, some older tvs still accommodate, or you can buy a dedicated larger lcd "monitor". Me, I use an old projector, used from ebay for around $100, projected on a screen that's close to 120 diag, but you could just use a wall. Lots of cables though, from controller to computer to ftdi adaptor then out to projector. Its in a dedicated space. Actually was, went to kickr last year.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Even without hdmi there is the old fashioned rgb cable, some older tvs still accommodate, or you can buy a dedicated larger lcd "monitor". Me, I use an old projector, used from ebay for around $100, projected on a screen that's close to 120 diag, but you could just use a wall. Lots of cables though, from controller to computer to ftdi adaptor then out to projector. Its in a dedicated space. Actually was, went to kickr last year.
I have an AppleTV connected to my TV, and can use AirPlay to mirror my PC with Airparrot 2 software. http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/. I do have a good, pretty modern Alienware laptop.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbianchi View Post
What you presented is a certainly part of what I am looking for. What I imagining is the platform with a display mouted to a stand that would show a Perf Pro live analysis. Anyone done this?
When you say Perf Pro live analysis, are you talking about the SpinScan feature?
I use a mobile workstation to mount a computer tower, monitor, and accessories, which might be up your alley since you don't mention using a wall-mounted display. My Ziotek works well for this function, and came from these guys:
Cyberguys Ziotek mobile workstation
Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM

My Computrainer is Nintendo vintage........hooked up to an older lcd display via rgb. Have not used the spin scan attachment in years.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
If you have an HDMI out on the PC/Mac you're running Perf-Pro on you could send it to a TV display. There are lots of options for tripod tv stands if you need something more portable.

Side note - I'm guessing from your user name we used to ride together for GP. If so - What's up Keith!

Pete in Bloomington

YES! Hey Pete.

I am just getting started with the Computrainer at home. I haveused a Computrainer regularly at The Fix studio in South Minneapolis and found the feel to be great. I will be building a permanent platform with a computer or monitor mount.