Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2024, 10:43 PM

It's official, my bike is "old school"

Just did a couple hour spin after work, ending in the dark. While stopped at a traffic light a very fit guy came up beside me, on a top shelf super aero slick concealed everything bike with discs. We got to chatting while waiting for green and rode together briefly after. He was very friendly and you could tell he was a bike enthusiast regardless. Had plenty of compliments on my Serotta Ottrott, including saying something to the effect of, while he enjoys his latest & greatest rig, he also appreciates "old school bikes like that."

First time I've heard that phrase from someone describing this rig. Have heard "that's a classic" and so forth, which is pretty close I suppose. As Walter Cronkite would say, "And that's the way it is."

Old 08-23-2024, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
[..] top shelf super aero slick concealed everything bike with discs [..] He was very friendly and you could tell he was a bike enthusiast regardless.
lol @ regardless

That bike is old enough to vote, it's literally too old for school
Old 08-23-2024, 05:42 AM

Personally I’d take an Ottrott over anything made in last 10 years thus reinforcing I’m old.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:51 AM

While riding the Toad Strangler on my Moots Baxter that received a compliment from one of a group of riders. His buddy looked at my bike with Fox 32 SC fork, XX1 AXS wireless shifting and says its cool for such an old school bike!

The perception of the masses always amazes me! I chuckled, said thanks and kept riding. While not the newest bike I don't perceive it as old school! Maybe it was the saddle and titanium tubes?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2024, 06:35 AM

Around 2016/17 riding and someone saw my Firefly (DOB 9/13) and he said the same thing!
Old 08-23-2024, 07:45 AM

Last Saturday I rode my 2004 Rambouillet in the Chautauqua Gran Fondo. At least 8 other riders were effusive about my orange ride, with the word "beautiful" used by half of the commentators. I guess it was pretty easy to stand out when the vast majority of other bikes were black.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:50 AM
Epic=No Smiles

A guy on my last Saturday group ride called my Colnago Extreme Power an "old classic." Yes, it's 16 years old, but it's built from carbon fiber and weighs 16.1 pounds.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:06 AM

A little while back I rode up alongside a guy who appeared to be in his twenties. I think I was on my Gios from 1991, so it really was “old school”. In any event the guy said, “ That bike is OLD….” I replied, “Everything you see here is old…” …..and then took off….
Old 08-23-2024, 08:18 AM
50 bpm

Was riding a recent gran fondo and a carbon-bike lad complimented my Serotta and said, “I bet it rides nice,” and I said, “You have no idea,” without realizing until later that I’d been unintentionally a d*ck!
Old 08-23-2024, 08:18 AM

Recently podiumed at the state championship gravel race. On a metal framed bike with mechanical shifting and rim (gasp… cantilever) brakes. Made for lots of laughs and friendly ribbing. The race was muddy and bumpy. Several bikes with e-shifting went DNF…

Greg
Old 08-23-2024, 08:58 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Last Saturday I rode my 2004 Rambouillet in the Chautauqua Gran Fondo. At least 8 other riders were effusive about my orange ride, with the word "beautiful" used by half of the commentators. I guess it was pretty easy to stand out when the vast majority of other bikes were black.
This year. I used three of my bikes at the same weekly group ride. I got one comment about my matte black Aero CFK Ekar bike (nice handlebar tape!),

0 on my ciavete Pego with Record and Lightweights

And 5 "wow! Nice bike" on my Columbus Max lugged and chromed steel bike

Last edited by martl; 08-23-2024 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:59 AM

Not long ago I was rode my TIG welded True Temper S3 (oversized steel) custom Teesdale up to the top of Mt. Wachusett (central Massachusetts). At the top I was talking to another cyclists who had just ridden up on a carbon fiber bike. He asked if my bike was titanium. I said, "No, its steel". He replied, "Oh, I've never ridden a steel bike - what's it ride like?"

I"m so old.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
While riding the Toad Strangler on my Moots Baxter that received a compliment from one of a group of riders. His buddy looked at my bike with Fox 32 SC fork, XX1 AXS wireless shifting and says its cool for such an old school bike!

The perception of the masses always amazes me! I chuckled, said thanks and kept riding. While not the newest bike I don't perceive it as old school! Maybe it was the saddle and titanium tubes?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
To be fair Adam, for most people - the Baxter looks like you took your old hardtail and put drop bars on it!
Old 08-23-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
To be fair Adam, for most people - the Baxter looks like you took your old hardtail and put drop bars on it!
I suppose you are correct!
Old 08-23-2024, 09:37 AM

If you are not riding fully internally cabled, slightly aero optimized carbon tubed bike, you are riding an old school bike. You can have the latest E1 Sram Red AXS on your Firefly/Moots/Mosaic/No22/Seven. But it is still an old school bike.

This message was sponsored by the Bike Industry.