Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2022, 04:10 PM

After suffering though many crappy tail lights I was almost ready to give up and live with my latest Blackburn light. I had been considering the Bontrager Flare RT and just got it and glad I did. very small and sufficiently bright and easy to operate. The mounts work well. One problem I had was I could not mount a light on my seatpost because there is not enough seatpost showing. With my recent new bike with a sloping top tube now there is enough room. On my other bike I still need to mount it on the seat stay so I ordered the Bontrager seat stay mount so I can use the same light on both bikes. I cannot find any faults with it.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:18 PM

I recently picked up the Detour light from outbound lighting, and am enormously pleased with it. It's probably overkill for the riding I do, but it's hard to overstate the confidence boost when riding at night. Even, or especially in places with constantly changing illumination from streetlights, cars, etc.

Edit: also wanted to add, they're based out of Chicago, including their manufacturing, and my emailed questions were answered by one of the founders/engineers in hours. So I'm very happy to support them.

Last edited by eephotog; 09-18-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eephotog View Post
I recently picked up the Detour light from outbound lighting, and am enormously pleased with it. It's probably overkill for the riding I do, but it's hard to overstate the confidence boost when riding at night. Even, or especially in places with constantly changing illumination from streetlights, cars, etc.

Edit: also wanted to add, they're based out of Chicago, including their manufacturing, and my emailed questions were answered by one of the founders/engineers in hours. So I'm very happy to support them.
Seconding Outbound; excellent quality, fantastic support and service and the best beam pattern I've run across in 20+ years of riding.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ413 View Post
I used to use a Dinnotte Quad taillight. It was good, but a little big, and a little fussy re: mounting hardware. Switched to a Lezyne Zecto Max taillight. Side by side, it seems brighter than the Dinnotte, is smaller and cheaper, and attaches with a rubber band type mount. I’ve been stopped a handful of times by drivers asking what it is because of the brightness/visibility. “I saw you half a mile back” type comments. This is all in daytime riding. Many thousands of miles on the Lezyne and no problems at all. In flashing mode I’ve done plenty of 6+ hour rides without coming close to draining the battery.
Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I have the Dinnotte Quad, but when it needs replacing, I will surely go with the Lezyne.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:32 PM

Big fan of the Fenix lights, you can bring an extra battery with you and swap it out in the light. This is helpful if night riding for an extended period of time, or multi day.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:24 AM

Open source firmware

(Apologies for zombie thread, but days are getting shorter) I've been using a Sofirn flashlight as a "be seen" front light, which uses a 14500 cell, which can be swapped with an AA cell in a pinch (less Wattage output though). The big advantage is the firmware is Anduril, which is open source, and has many options as default including a solid-flicker mode I like. Had to print a custom mount, which is another advantage. Not enough lumens for nighttime rides, for which the Lumintop B01 StVZO-like reflector and 21700 cell is appealing (no Anduril though )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Hard to believe that 5 years ago, I never used lights. Barely used a Garmin Edge 500 (kept forgetting it).

Then the slow integration of taillights, which have gotten better, more complex, and more expensive.

So, detail your "light journey," if you have one. Anything new under the sun?

Thanks.

Last edited by Carbonita; 08-28-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:13 PM

Front: Cateye Ampp 500 (also have the Cateye Volt 400 on another bike)
Rear: Garmin Varia (Mainly for the radar function which works great)
Old 08-28-2023, 12:27 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonita View Post
(Apologies for zombie thread, but days are getting shorter) I've been using a Sofirn flashlight as a "be seen" front light, which uses a 14500 cell, which can be swapped with an AA cell in a pinch (less Wattage output though). The big advantage is the firmware is Anduril, which is open source, and has many options as default including a solid-flicker mode I like. Had to print a custom mount, which is another advantage. Not enough lumens for nighttime rides, for which the Lumintop B01 StVZO-like reflector and 21700 cell is appealing (no Anduril though )
Been a fan of NiteRider lights for many years now.. I guarantee they have something that will work for you and their customer service is awesome..
Old 08-28-2023, 03:50 PM
slower than you

Cygolite, front and back. Very bright, awesome battery life.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I have the Dinnotte Quad, but when it needs replacing, I will surely go with the Lezyne.
Does it have a clip to use on a saddle bag strap? It seems to have one but sure how it used.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
After suffering though many crappy tail lights I was almost ready to give up and live with my latest Blackburn light. I had been considering the Bontrager Flare RT and just got it and glad I did. very small and sufficiently bright and easy to operate. The mounts work well. One problem I had was I could not mount a light on my seatpost because there is not enough seatpost showing. With my recent new bike with a sloping top tube now there is enough room. On my other bike I still need to mount it on the seat stay so I ordered the Bontrager seat stay mount so I can use the same light on both bikes. I cannot find any faults with it.
After having the Flare RT for awhile I am really disappointed with it.
The beam is very narrow so cars that are passing can barely see it.
Battery life sees low. I was using the bluetooth feature with my Garmin but do not really like it and it probably drains the battery. I would rather control the light myself. I just ordered a Magicshine SeeMee 200 hoping it has a wider beam angle and longer battery life.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:26 PM

Garmin Varia front & rear

I tried Cycliq front and rear lights/cameras for a season, and couldn’t deal with the awful support and lights/cameras that were not reliable. I switched to the Garmin Varia RTL515 rear and UT800 front. I can’t imagine not riding with the rear Varia, and I like the ability to pair both with my Garmin Edge and let the Edge automatically control them. I’m waiting for the next generation of Varia radar/camera and hopeful that Garmin does a front light with a camera as well.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:36 PM

Most Days.

Front Garmin Varia 800
Rear. Garmin Varia ( I have many models camera and non-camera)

If riding at night or off-road night : I can chose from :

Lupine Betty on the helmet or handlebars
Lupine SL on the bars.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:41 PM

Thirding (fourthing?) the recommendations for Outbound. Excellent lights.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Outbound. I have the bar and helmet. https://www.outboundlighting.com/
I use these too and they are awesome! I especially like the beam cutoff which reduces the likelihood of blinding oncoming riders or motorists. Customer service is top-notch.

Cygolite is best bang for the buck, with much longer run times than the competition.