Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Zwift Price Increase

FYI - received an email from Zwift this morning that starting in June, the monthly price is increasing to $19.99 per month.

It was a good reminder for me to cancel as we roll into the warmer months.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

sorry I quit swift a couple increase ago.. but $20 bucks is alot for that platform
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

Yeah, it's definitely getting up to a level where I question that value.

Currently on the "free" year from buying a new Wahoo trainer. Likely will cancel when that's done next March.
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

$20 is how much I pay for TrainerRoad but it actually feels like its worth it in my opinion. It has done me wonders since early March. $20 for Zwift is crazy.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonn View Post
FYI - received an email from Zwift this morning that starting in June, the monthly price is increasing to $19.99 per month.

On a side note, MyWhoosh just released a version called "MyWhoosh GO" that appears to be very stable on lower end computers. It lacks the roaming animals and cheering hordes but everything else appears to work. It is $19.99 less than the future price of Zwift.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
Retired!

From DC Rainmaker.

Kevin g
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonn View Post

I cancel my account each March, and start back up in December.

At $20 a month it’s still worth it to me.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

I pretty much only train indoors, and Zwift gives me something to do.

It inspires me to sprint as hard as I can, which I never, ever did in 30 years of trainer riding prior. It taught me to sprint longer than 17 or 18 seconds; now I think of a long sprint as 30s, and I'm trying to increase that a bit. It inspires me to push in races, something I only rarely could even do on a trainer (with Velodyne, and it was against computer riders, not other people, and I tried a Computrainer for a bit). In the winter I'll grind some long climbs for hours, efforts that would take Herculean mental energy without Zwift, but seems not as bad on Zwift.

Zwift inspired me to get a rocking frame for my trainer, and after blowing up a CycleOps fluid unit again, I moved to KK Road Machine units (and fried the bearings on one). I can hit 1400w on the trainer, as much as I'll need, and it's on the bike I ride outside.

Zwift also inspired me to upgrade my SRMs from wired to wireless, because I was getting shorted 50-100w by using zPower (With the CycleOps Fluid2, if I was doing 250w on the SRM, Zwift would register on zPower about 180-ish, the delta dropped a bit with the KK Road machine unit). The wireless SRMs are much more robust, can record a lot more data, and are much more reliable (no wires). I wouldn't have done it as quickly if it wasn't for Zwift, and it's so good that I converted all my SRMs, not just one.

The price increase, for a monthly person like me, is $4 per month, $48 per year. That's less than the cost of one crit, and with no crits around, I only do about 6 or 7 a year now. I do the track, and it's either $100 (for Nationals) or $20-30, but I'm spending $100-200 in gas alone to race, and sometimes $200 for a hotel room.

I work a spring series. Last year I got SPOT insurance, an add-on, and I paid about $300 for four races (didn't start one). As I only lasted 3-4 minutes in each one, I skipped SPOT this year, and paid about $200 for four races, starting 3 of them (just unpinned the one number).

So for me, $48 more is a no brainer, $240 a year, no brainer. Same price as 4 races IRL.

I consider myself enthusiastically frugal, a phrase I learned recently. I'm riding 10s, mech everything, rim brakes, but they're custom frames, custom stem, big carbon tubular wheels (for races). I spent $1500? on my team kit (but should last me 5+ years as it's my team). I have SRMs because they work, but I buy them used, refurbished from SRM (sometimes they offer one like that), or my track one I got on a super duper sale ($1000?). I spend money where I think it's a good value, and I don't spend it where I don't. I think Zwift is a good value in my life.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Mine is paused due to injury, but I think if you like the racing, it is worth it. When not injured I really enjoy doing the weekly team time trials, and the odd group ride. If I only did the once a week TTT, it is worth it to me to pay $5 per race (AKA a coffee at SBUX....)....
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

I've kept my Zwift account year round for several years now. I figure if I jump on and do even four rides a month during the summer it's not a bad deal at all. The other months I'm doing 20+ rides/mo. I do wish I could get outside more, but it's just not in the cards at this life stage/
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy View Post
I just read that about the kids account. I think they should keep the kids account. My son has zero interest in cycling but there are a bunch of kids on bikes on Zwift.

I think there are also some non-kids signing up as kids, but that's a different story.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

If you live in a northern climate where you have to train inside for 6 months a year $20/month is still a good deal for what you get. I am surprised there is no prepay annual option?
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
If you live in a northern climate where you have to train inside for 6 months a year $20/month is still a good deal for what you get. I am surprised there is no prepay annual option?
there is 200/yr 2 free months
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

It's been quite a few years at $15 dollars so I see this as no surprise. They might do better with their customers if they up it only a bit per year rather then a big bump but still what is it we are talking here? The price of a Coke and a snack at your convenience store per month. IDK why people are making such a big deal over it.

I always cancel this time of year but I will reup next year unless there is something better. I never heard of MyWoosh though and am surprised to hear the eracing went over there. I've found the races in Zwift to be the best indoor training experience one can have.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

I rarely train outside anymore, since 2014 and before. I used to ride outside pretty much March-Nov, and often around Christmas we have a warm spell so I'll do a few rides on vacation days. Now... I rarely ride outside, although I rode in Feb when it was 70 or something insane (I wore shorts).

I think (lol) I got my riding skills thing down pretty well, having ridden outside for 35-38 seasons of racing, but the last 11-12 years I've primarily ridden indoors, to the point that fellow racer called me to see how I motived to ride indoors, then told me he was looking into "game-ifying indoor cycling" - that became Zwift.

Before having a kid I would have gone out a bit more, but now it seems that kid activities and such take up some of that riding time. And don't get me wrong, I am not blaming the kid, and in fact I was prepared to give up cycling if necessary, but a month or two after our son was born, my wife told me I couldn't stop riding. lol.

(I haven't tried riding at night recently, and I loved riding at night. Maybe time to plug in the light batteries)

Anyway, even on days like today (80F, sunny, pollen just starting but almost non-existent still, no bugs yet, dry not-humid) I'll be indoors. I'm off work because wife had a medical thing and I am not riding outside because she can't drive right now, son is at school, and I need to be 100% ambulatory if anything happens to either (and I have to pick up son regardless). Plus I don't want to ditch them, and so instead of riding I did stuff around the house. I'll do a Zwift ride tonight.