Old 08-03-2020, 05:05 AM
50 bpm

Garmin paid the ransom

Or so it would appear.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/repo...-to-hackers-2/

Seems as though it had no choice.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:13 AM

Evil Corp

Supposedly...a Putin "friend". Get used to it, this is going to be a thing. The guys with the pocket protectors are letting us down
Old 08-03-2020, 06:21 AM

What? No regular backups? Did they let employees store files on local hard drives? Most likely failed to do regular updates as well. I worked in the IT dept of a hospital that was hit a couple of years ago. It was hell for a couple of weeks and we had to re-image a lot of PCs. They did regular backups of data which was stored off-site each day. Some folks did save to their local drives and much of that was gone as the ransom was not paid. After that, local saving was prohibited and it you tried the data was put on a network share.

Tim
Old 08-03-2020, 06:39 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
What? No regular backups?
My understanding is that it infects the backups. The process is to gain admin level control first, generally through social engineering.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:47 AM
Administrator

i havent read the article yet, but if it turns out they did in fact go through sketchy channels and did pay the ransom - and not recover on their own terms - that tells me they are completely screwed up over there and heads should roll at the highest levels for both getting into this and the lack of a good response plan.

I am generally a garmin fan, but this disappoints me.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i havent read the article yet, but if it turns out they did in fact go through sketchy channels and did pay the ransom - and not recover on their own terms - that tells me they are completely screwed up over there and heads should roll at the highest levels for both getting into this and the lack of a good response plan.

I am generally a garmin fan, but this disappoints me.
+1

I am a garmin user and I agree this is very disappointing. People should loose their job. I really find it hard to believe that they may have thought they were ready for something like a ransomware or maybe they were just over confident that "nobody would want our stuff".

Having been in the IT industry a long time, you cannot be overly confident about any of this stuff. Management has to make it known that routine security/software updates are mandated.

Sermon over
Old 08-03-2020, 07:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Or so it would appear.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/repo...-to-hackers-2/

Seems as though it had no choice.
But NOW, they are another target for anther data kid-napping...A clean and fix was more than $10million??
Old 08-03-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Evil Corp

Supposedly...a Putin "friend". Get used to it, this is going to be a thing. The guys with the pocket protectors are letting us down
It's often human error from someone NOT in IT that causes many (not all) of these types of attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
My understanding is that it infects the backups. The process is to gain admin level control first, generally through social engineering.
Exactly. And often NOT the IT person is compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFly View Post
+1

Having been in the IT industry a long time, you cannot be overly confident about any of this stuff. Management has to make it known that routine security/software updates are mandated.

Sermon over
I am a 25+ year IT industry veteran (with the past several in information and cybersecurity) and as you probably already know, it is often management who refuses to listen about the need for stronger controls or is willing to pay for them. Everything is a cost-benefit analysis and Garmin may not have originally considered this type of attack a serious threat and/or worth paying to protect against it. For now, this is all speculation. If they ever do a full investigation and release the results we will know the full truth.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 08-03-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

If they ever do a full investigation and release the results we will know the full truth.
LOL! Never happen. Accountability? A leader once said "You can't handle the truth!"
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFly View Post
LOL! Never happen. Accountability? A leader once said "You can't handle the truth!"
And that is why I wrote that anything else is pure speculation.

Sometimes publicly traded companies are forced into full disclosure but it often happens weeks/months/years later (i.e. Equifax breach).

Heads will roll but it is often not those who actually deserve it.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:26 AM

Same thing happened to our company, about five years ago. Russian company hacked and shut down entire system, demanding ransom. After looking for other options for a couple weeks, we gave up, paid ransom and were back in service shortly after. Strangely, this is a 'gentleman's pursuit', of sorts, and there's an 'honor code', where they provide very good customer service to get system restored and operating, once ransom is paid. Without good customer service after the ransom payment, they understand their business model would fail and no one would pay. They were quite professional and the level of customer service was high, after the ransom was paid.

Since, we've spend a large sum trying to keep our system free from outside hacking. Nearly every consultant we've engaged has said there's little way to fully prevent it, and it's better to put resources into developing a parallel system and backing up data frequently. Given hacks of Twitter, Facebook and even Garmin, it seems they're correct, that no system is impenetrable.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Evil Corp

It's already a "thing" for at least a decade..

Target (dept store) 55M or so affected, through back door in HVAC system. Garmin may have been / most likely have been through 3rd party/partner network(s). My own company 3x all because of Sr Management NOT paying attention to IT protocol. (to echo the above, probably not direct IT)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
a parallel system and backing up data frequently
Isn't this (supposed to be) standard IT protocol?

Covers the rare occasion of a foreign hack and the MUCH HIGHER probability of employee incompetence totally screwing up one of your DB.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 AM

From what I understand, this is a not-so-new norm of sorts- companies pay the ransom. The choice is clear if the goal is to limit losses and damage, which amounts to getting up and running as soon as possible. I would guess the entities behind these attacks would do a cost-benefit analysis and have priced the ransom amount accordingly. Its the cost of doing business, and even the most sophisticated security is vulnerable to attack.

The social engineering, or human hacking aspect that unterhousen mentioned is particularly interesting, and accounts for a surprising percentage of the security breaches. And these are tech-savvy people who are being compromised. The thinking that only gullible or ignorant people are susceptible has probably resulted in companies being slow to recognize this as a very real threat.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
The social engineering, or human hacking aspect that unterhousen mentioned is particularly interesting, and accounts for a surprising percentage of the security breaches. And these are tech-savvy people who are being compromised. The thinking that only gullible or ignorant people are susceptible has probably resulted in companies being slow to recognize this as a very real threat.
Many companies have robust training programs for employees to recognize these attacks. They generate internal phishing e-mails to test employees and ensure that they follow company policy for dealing with cyber attacks. Employees who fail to follow cyber security policy are subject to remedial training, poor performance reviews, and ultimately termination. There's too much at stake to not take these attacks seriously. And you are very correct, it's amazing how very knowledgeable persons still fall victim to these attacks. The attackers are very good at what they do.

Greg