Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2020, 09:06 PM

Relevant thread from awhile back: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=242683
Old 08-02-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
If you've already got a Crux in the stable, I think you'd find a greater expansion of your playground by adding a hardtail XC race rocket than an incremental improvement of a more MTB-influenced gravel bike.
Everyone has their level of comfort with underbiking, but I second this idea of reducing overlap.

My local anecdote is that I've ridden a good amount of Marin dirt on my 650b light-touring bike with Switchback Hills, but I really disliked the stretched out feeling while descending in the drops and simultaneously trying to get my weight behind the saddle. My cable-actuated brakes were also not the most confidence inspiring. So I picked up a great hardtail from a fellow member here and riding dirt became easier, but still remained fun and opened up other trails.

And climbing with proper mountain gearing is better than realizing you're out of low gears.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:42 PM
Randomhead

everything depends on the trails you are going to be riding on. There are some trails I have been on that would be fun on a gravel bike. But the trails closest to my house that go up into the nearby state forest take me a lot longer on my gravel bike than they do on my hardtail mtb. So if I really wanted to go that way into the forest, instead of through town and onto the highway for a couple of miles, it would be a lot better to use the mtb.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:29 PM
n - 1

I would suggest going with more of a “trail” MTB than full on XC. More relaxed riding position. ie, Santa Cruz Chameleon. Doesn’t sound like you are racing. I think a bike like the Chameleon will give you more confidence in those rougher sections of trail. Especially if you’re going to be rigid.

If you want steel, I really like my Niner Sir9 I’ve had for 4-5 years now.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 PM

When Garro built my Disc Dirt Road Racer with a unicrown fork, it was a better mountain bike than anything I ever rode in the late 80s or early 90s. The only place I won't take it is rock gardens. He built me a mountain bike for that.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:21 AM

Thanks for all the insightful advise
I have not given up totally on racing again
I just paid last month USA cycling After 9 years off
I am a cat 3 road and cross I may do some senior (games)citizens racing type thing in the future
Thanks everyone
Cheers

( I like the Santa Cruz Chameleon. it is a cool bike
And My friend at my shop would like to sell me a all city gorilla monsoon )

Last edited by Fixed; 08-03-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:38 AM

I have a chameleon and love it, such a great contrast to fat tired gravel bikes. A Gorilla Monsoon can do a bunch of riding, but the main offering over the crux would pretty much be just fatter tires and slightly slower handling. I would keep the crux light, try the fattest tires it will fit, and potentially complement with a hardtail and dropper.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 AM

For rough fire roads a rigid XC 29er is hard to beat. Also, those bikes were super common 8-15 years ago, and are now dated enough that you can get them for a great deal to try out the platform. New MTBs are great but mostly because the geo and suspension is improved for technical riding, which it doesn’t sound like you’re doing. I think I sold this salsa 2 years ago for under 600 dollars with a brand new drivetrain (I regret it):

Last edited by Burning Pines; 08-03-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:18 AM

Rivendell Hillbilly is perfect for your description.