Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2020, 02:55 PM

Titanium Frame - 3M tape or no?

Hey, friends! I’m getting my first titanium bike and it should be delivered this coming week. Not having had one before I am curious if folks recommending putting the clear 3M tape on the frame in certain high impact/friction areas or if that isn’t necessary on titanium frames? I’m just not sure what to expect as far as how durable the titanium frames really are.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 08-02-2020, 02:57 PM
That guy..

You'll get cable rub like any other frame. Except instead of paint rubbing off
It'll be the finish on the metal.

Not a huge deal.

Personally. I like avoiding the cable rub at the ht. But other areas. I don't bother.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:00 PM

IMO cable rub is just part of being a bicycle so i only apply helo tape to protect the drive-side chainstay from chain-slap on my Ti gravel bike, same as on m CF and steel bikes.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:16 PM

Yes!!!!!

Yes. Use it. Who wants cable rub if you don't have to? I also put a chainstay protector on. Keeps the bike looking nice, isn't that a good thing? And it's cheap. Do it!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2020, 03:22 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
. I’m just not sure what to expect as far as how durable the titanium frames really are.
You know what I like about my Ti bikes....ride it, forget it, repeat.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
You know what I like about my Ti bikes....ride it, forget it, repeat.
I'm with Weisan. Forget it.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:34 PM

New or used bike? Brand new, you may as well put some on the sides of the HT (stuff is extremely cheap). If it's used, it'd already have some surface wear--it's just cosmetic. I hate marks/scratches, but that sort of wear I'm somehow able to ignore!
Old 08-02-2020, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

@mokofoko it’s new.

I’m not trying to be weird about overprotecting it, but I also don’t want to be foolish about it either! I’ve never used the 3M stuff before so I’m not sure how it holds up and looks over time. I suppose you can just remove it and replace it?

Someone told me if there’s marks and scratches you can scrub it out with a scotchbrite pad, but I’m not sure to what extent.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:50 PM
That guy..

Know what. I'm with everyone else. Just ride it. Once the tape gets old. It's ugly. I see the scuffs on my titanium bikes. Adds character.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:54 PM

Cross the housing around the head tube (i.e. right shifter/brake goes to the left side cable stop), and then the cables under the downtube, they wont rub as easily. You can clip short sections of cable liner and glue them together where you cross the cables under the downtube if you're worried about them fraying.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:11 PM

3m tape for cable rub on any bike looks tacky to me. I think it looks worse than the cable rub.

Clear tape for chain slap only.

If your titanium bike has a brushed finish then a little scotch bride and your good to go. If it is matt finish then SOL.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ79 View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys.

@mokofoko it’s new.

I’m not trying to be weird about overprotecting it, but I also don’t want to be foolish about it either! I’ve never used the 3M stuff before so I’m not sure how it holds up and looks over time. I suppose you can just remove it and replace it?

Someone told me if there’s marks and scratches you can scrub it out with a scotchbrite pad, but I’m not sure to what extent.
You don't need to buy the expensive 3m stuff. Any ol heli tape will work just fine. Companies like Xtremeguard sell large sheets (for tablets, etc) for only a few bucks after coupon. Just cut them up, slap them on--peel off with your fingernails when you want to. Mine last for years. For a low-contact (on the tape edging) location like the headtube, you won't have to worry about it ever peeling back on its own.

I've used scotch pads on TI before. Unless you're prepared to go over the entire bike, it'll likely never end up being a perfect match again once you go at it... you'll only really be concerned until you get that first mark. Fortunately, TI is easier to clean up marks vs painted. I dread having to paint match and fix paint chips, etc.

Last edited by mokofoko; 08-02-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
3m tape for cable rub on any bike looks tacky to me. I think it looks worse than the cable rub.

Clear tape for chain slap only.

If your titanium bike has a brushed finish then a little scotch bride and your good to go. If it is matt finish then SOL.
If people are close enough to spot the CLEAR tape on your headtube, they're way, way too close (for this age of covid19)
Old 08-02-2020, 05:19 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
peel off with your fingernails when you want to.
That takes a bit of finesse...in fact you need a certificate from beauty school.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Know what. I'm with everyone else. Just ride it. Once the tape gets old. It's ugly. I see the scuffs on my titanium bikes. Adds character.
I've got rolls of heli tape left over, which I use to custom cover keyboard keys, phones, etc. One $2 sheet would be enough to last a bike for more than a decade, even if you replaced the HT tape biannually. Some brands do tend to yellow over time (had that issue with BSE and early versions of ZAGG)--some don't.