Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Bottom Bracket Shell moved in frame

Hi all,

My first post, feel free to school me.

I have a carbon Focus Cayo Evo 3.0 frame from 2015 (just out of the 5 year warranty). I was replacing the bottom bracket, when I removed it there was an awful creak (BB not changed since new). On inspection the aluminium shell had rotated in the frame around 150degrees, so the round hole for the seat tube is now almost facing the bottom of the BB. In the rotation it has yanked all of the Di2 wires out of the derailleurs and crumpled them all up in the bottom of the frame between the sleeve and the carbon.

It's PF30, SRAM cups with a Shimano BB. I'm guessing the frame is goosed. Time for a new frame I guess. I need to get the wires out, currently the only option is to use a hacksaw with I'm loath to do.

The question is: can i rotate the aluminium sleeve or knock it out some way? Has anyone ever done this? I've given it a few taps with a hammer and chisel and it's not budging. I thought maybe I could put the cups back in, glue it all to the aluminium, put the BB back in and over tighten it to try and turn it back into shape. Seems ludicrous and I'll end up with a glued up BB shell.

Any tips or experience please?

Thanks a bunch,
Brad
Old 08-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Re:

Can the bb be reinstalled and the tools used to rotate the shell back to position? Since it's out of warranty... once you have the shell back in place maybe you can drill and tap a couple of holes through the bottom and screw the shell in place so this doesn't happen again. Maybe a plate linking the two screws to spread the stress over more carbon. I'm guessing airplane epoxy was the original build... so that failed.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:04 PM

Don't touch it.

Consider the wiring FUBAR'd and expect part of the repair costs to be replacing the wiring.

Sounds like you managed to remove the BB but the sleeve remains.

Contact a carbon frame repair firm like Calfee and see if they can perform the repair. They're experts and may be able to save the frame.

I realize you want to do the repair yourself but you have to consider what's more costly; a new frame or a repair? Even if it can't be repaired, I think it's worth the money to pay for the estimate.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Fix it like a vitus 979

Machine screws, epoxy and zip ties. In all seriousness, that thing is toast, unfortunately
Old 08-02-2020, 03:58 PM

This sounds like it's way above my pay grade...sounds like a job for Hambini, checkout his YouTube channel...
Old 08-02-2020, 04:00 PM

I'd send Calfee a note and ask about a repair.....that said I suspect you get to start shopping for a new ride.

Sorry.

dave
Old 08-02-2020, 04:22 PM

First step, hit up Canyon and see what they say. This is one of those times you might get a a little good will from the manufacture when you weren't entitled to any.

If they shoot you down, they'll probably at least offer you a crash replacement which could be a good route. Or like others have said you can likely have a place like Calfee or Ruckus fix it, shouldn't be too hard for anyone that's skilled at carbon repair.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 08-02-2020, 04:44 PM

If the shell got unglued that can be fixed. TO fix it you need to remove the whole thing and epoxy it back. Easier to say than do it because never done the repair but if you google you will find some people that have repaired it or can tell you who can do it.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:48 PM

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/t...what-adhesive/
Old 08-02-2020, 08:32 PM

I would recommend this glue if you go for a DIY repair. It is intended for bonding aluminum and carbon.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
First step, hit up Canyon...
LOL Freudian slip? It's a Focus. But I agree, hit em up, especially if you're the original owner.

And post pics here so people know they make 5 year frames.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:42 PM

Isn't FOCUS gone from the US market?

I'd still give them a try but...
Old 08-02-2020, 08:49 PM

Well, the problem the OP had is the reason why colnago started doing like indentations in the BB shells in the C40 and C50s, so the BB stays there forever w/o moving. No idea about the other models tho.

If the OP goes by the DIY, I would advice him to play with the idea of putting maybe a pin or something in there to hold the shell forever to the carbon as a preventive measure.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadesofTi View Post
Hi all,

My first post, feel free to school me.

I have a carbon Focus Cayo Evo 3.0 frame from 2015 (just out of the 5 year warranty). I was replacing the bottom bracket, when I removed it there was an awful creak (BB not changed since new). On inspection the aluminium shell had rotated in the frame around 150degrees, so the round hole for the seat tube is now almost facing the bottom of the BB. In the rotation it has yanked all of the Di2 wires out of the derailleurs and crumpled them all up in the bottom of the frame between the sleeve and the carbon.

It's PF30, SRAM cups with a Shimano BB. I'm guessing the frame is goosed. Time for a new frame I guess. I need to get the wires out, currently the only option is to use a hacksaw with I'm loath to do.

The question is: can i rotate the aluminium sleeve or knock it out some way? Has anyone ever done this? I've given it a few taps with a hammer and chisel and it's not budging. I thought maybe I could put the cups back in, glue it all to the aluminium, put the BB back in and over tighten it to try and turn it back into shape. Seems ludicrous and I'll end up with a glued up BB shell.

Any tips or experience please?

Thanks a bunch,
Brad
Send it to Ruckus or Calfee..he can bond that shell back in there....

Tags
bottom bracket shell, frame failure