Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 07:53 AM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2444912
Old 08-01-2020, 08:14 AM

Somebody must be riding the high end aluminum frames-about the time we moved out of Brooklyn (10 or so years ago) I was seeing incredible deals on NOS alu racing frames--I kept being tempted and then talking myself out of them.

I haven't seen deals like that since--I suspect it was probably about the time that the suppliers were going all in on plastic, and thought they might as well ditch the old stuff...

I'd still like to have a go on a first class alu frame--Colnago Dream, Merckx SC or ????. But it would have to be a deal...
Old 08-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Strong Walker

Early cannodales were harsh because bike magazines with no clue about engineering told us they were.

Sent from my 2003 soda can Principia rex
Old 08-01-2020, 06:07 PM

Recently returned from riding my Basso Reef. I bought this frame new in 2004 and have been happily riding it since - must have well over 10k miles. Made from Easton 'Ultralight Race' aluminum (with an interesting tear-drop shaped top tube), from the era of the Merckx Team SC. I continue to be impressed with the functioning of the Campagnolo 10 speed components (as long as the g-springs are replaced every so often). This is a great riding bike, not harsh at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0416.jpg (137.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 08-01-2020, 06:32 PM
aka RAEKWON

Some of the best bikes I have had were/are aluminum. I would take it over steel or carbon right now.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I'm gonna stir the pot and say it's not the frame that makes the comfort. You're looking at two triangles, and incredibly stiff structure in a vertical plane.

I think the big improvements in aluminum frame ride would be carbon seat posts (flex, if you choose the right one), forks, and tire width. Perhaps older aluminum frames lacked clearance for larger tires? And of course, what's the use of larger tires if you're not dropping air pressure?
Well versed and couldn't agree any more. This aluminum frame is a rocket with the wheels as pictured. Crit ready. When I swap out these large profile clinchers and throw on a set of low profile tubulars it becomes a whole different animal. Not as comfortable as carbon, especially when it gets vertical, but worthy on any given day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89761070-0B18-48A5-98CF-2E4CA7A471F8.jpg (137.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Early cannodales were harsh because bike magazines with no clue about engineering told us they were.
^^^Truth^^^ I had a Cannondale 3.0 frame that I picked up NOS twenty years ago. I added an Easton EC50 fork that perfectly complimented the frame. The front/rear stiffness balance was perfect. I rode that bike all over the world and never felt it was uncomfortable. With a Turbomatic 2 saddle, comfy bar tape, and reasonable tire pressures, it was a great road bike. My current CAAD9 and CAAD10 are 3-5 pounds lighter, but not any more comfy.

Greg
Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Some of the best bikes I have had were/are aluminum. I would take it over steel or carbon right now.
Gaulzetti corsa.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:08 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Gaulzetti corsa.
I want another rock lobster. Keeping my road lobster and want a gravel lobster to replace my Open. Do want to try a alloy gaulzetti and would totally buy another spooky. The specialized allez sprints also look great
Old 08-01-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I want another rock lobster. Keeping my road lobster and want a gravel lobster to replace my Open. Do want to try a alloy gaulzetti and would totally buy another spooky. The specialized allez sprints also look great
Having ridden two Gaulzettis I’m convinced he employs spooky magic with the frame geo and tube sets. Still the finest cornering rides out there IMHO

That being said Alu gets a bad rap, even though for affordable performance they’re hard to beat with the advances in hydroforming and the associated improvements of other items to help with smoothing out the ride. Dampening bars, stems, seatposts, tape and other touch points make a huge difference while keeping the responsiveness of the frame.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:18 PM

Principia Ellipse

I just built this up last week. Frameset has been sitting untouched since purchase in 2004. Threw on some modern components. Rides beautifully, silent and extremely smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7134.jpg (129.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:39 PM

Perfectly happy with the ride of my 88 Cannondale ST. This one is from the Tange steel fork era. Now wears 28mm GP SII’s at 80 psi but have owned it long enough that it’s also been shod with 23’s and 25’s. Gets more miles than any other bike in the collection and traveled around the country more often as well (at least when travel was a thing)- Southern California, Eastern Washington state, Drifteless area of Wisconsin, plus the killer hills of Virginia.

Never understood the boneshaker reputation, but like any frameset of that era it benefits from updated wheels and components- mine is set up with high end Shimano 10 speed.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:42 PM

I will add that my old Cannondale ST 600 with a steel fork was more compliant than my all aluminum 3.0 or SM700. It was a smooth ride which I attribute to the fork and ability to run wider tires.

The SM700 was a straight up bone rattler and I don’t think it had anything to do with any magazine or bike literature. It would cause my hands and other bits to go numb every ride.

The 3.0 was also as stiff feeling as any bike I have ever ridden and would cause numbness. It felt fast and I loved the look of those fat tubes, but not very comfortable.

The newer aluminum bikes I have owned from a Trek Stache to the Zanconatos were far better riding bikes, but also had carbon forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2020, 04:39 PM

I've heard and read many accounts of riders who say that they easily detect the differences in feel and performance of different frame materials. I've also read and heard accounts of people who have done blind testing of different types of frames. Those who have done blind testing seem to be much less certain that they can discern any differences.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I don't get all this talk from some about older bikes don't ride nice. Be it aluminum or steel. Not buying that argument at all.
They do ride nice.

But compare an older frameset to modern steel, there is a big difference in ride quality. Both are equally 'fast'.