Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 03:54 PM

I feel it's just as vain to refuse to consider a 0-degree or riser stem on a bike just because the steerer is cut to be slammed. Or get some Specialized Hover bars to raise it up... Good Lord there are so many decent options.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
au contraire, ryun's tendency to slam his stem has saved me thousands and thousands of dollars through the years. I'm incredibly grateful!
+1!!
Old 07-28-2020, 04:21 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
in life, we all need to choose if we want to be the marge, bart or homer's of the world.
Come on, Nick, you know that there are a whole lotta Lisas on the Paceline…in fact, I think they outnumber the others.

Personally, I'll go with Maggie -- as the saying goes (roughly), better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:27 PM

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:32 PM

2cm??? Nah
Old 07-28-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
On the other hand, if those with slammed stems suffer a back, neck, or some other injury, or reduction in flexibility caused by something else that leaves them unable to ride a bike with a slammed stem, they're out of luck on all their bikes, yoga or no yoga.
Yeah but then you get to go buy new bikes, and that's the best gift of all.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
I do get the op's rant and thats they reason you have to leave some 2 or 5 cm on top of the slammed stem. Because is frustrating to let a bike go because there's no room for a couple of cm of spacers.
5cm??? At least you have the option of using it for a flag pole.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
I can't count how many times I've seen a beautiful frameset, in just my size, for a good price, only to have the matching fork cut for a slammed stem. Come on folks, what the heck is wrong with running a few spacers on top? Another "looks dorky" discussion? Is it just me or are the most active sellers on this forum listing the sweetest high-end framesets the ones who usually slam the fork (those who ride a 56 know who I'm talking about ).

Unless you think you are going to keep the frameset for yourself for a long time and not worried about aging, sheesh just cut the fork 2 cm higher and put on some top spacers. You will have a much easier time selling the frameset when it comes time for that.

Oh that felt good, thanks for listening!
I'm with ya.

I cannot believe how many serial bike buyers will slam that stem and ride the bike a handful of times and then be confused why it won't sell.

Sure, the bike is for the original owner first and foremost and they can do what they want, but I also question fashion vs. function. I mean really, every single bike from every manufacturer dictated a slammed stem with zero spacers magically? All of a sudden every manufacturer gets your stack correct to the mm, accounting for different stems, bars, headsets, etc? I don't think so. Slammed is a lifestyle.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:35 PM

Slammed stem rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
I can't count how many times I've seen a beautiful frameset, in just my size, for a good price, only to have the matching fork cut for a slammed stem. Come on folks, what the heck is wrong with running a few spacers on top? Another "looks dorky" discussion? Is it just me or are the most active sellers on this forum listing the sweetest high-end framesets the ones who usually slam the fork (those who ride a 56 know who I'm talking about ).

Unless you think you are going to keep the frameset for yourself for a long time and not worried about aging, sheesh just cut the fork 2 cm higher and put on some top spacers. You will have a much easier time selling the frameset when it comes time for that.

Oh that felt good, thanks for listening!

Blame Velominati, rule #45 https://www.velominati.com

Slam your stem. A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem and a single 5mm spacer must always – always – be stacked above. A “slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset.

Last edited by MikeD; 07-28-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:36 PM
3D

There are plenty of people who’s struggling right now. And there’s this rant about steer-tube cut too short from previous owner. You must be pretty well off. My bike is my prerogative. If I don’t want that chimney look then so be it. And if that day comes when I cannot bend down to reach the hood on the slammed stem then it’s my problem isn’t it.

That said there are steer tube extender available to accommodate your needs, this shouldn’t be a problem associating with the way it looks just as long as you’re happy with it.

Haha good laugh reading this thread..

Btw.. I have bikes with slammed stem and bikes with chimney and I can careless of what people think of how it look.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:37 PM

I have at times taken this to the extreme - not cutting anything off a new fork, just so I can go ride the frameset and see if it "works" before messing with it...

I got some looks that day.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that's crazy. i buy bikes to ride and enjoy for myself, not curate for the next owner.

i would assert that if you are compromising some aspect of your bike in consideration of the next owner, you're doing it wrong.

IMO, of course.
I completely agree. I am also that person that preserves a few spacers out of caution, but I applaud those who are committed enough to chop that steerer

A bike is meant for the owner to ride as they like....
Old 07-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I have at times taken this to the extreme - not cutting anything off a new fork, just so I can go ride the frameset and see if it "works" before messing with it...

That'd be a stinger on the chest in a crash.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:

this the type of fred stuff we want to see. beautiful
Old 07-28-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I think you are on to something here and missed an opportunity. You could have tried another bar shape or even flat bars by adding another stem!

Last edited by PacNW2Ford; 07-28-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: correction