Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 03:26 PM

Core work and yoga yo.

Does wonders for off bike fitness as well.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Having you considered doing some yoga?
This.
Or:
- buy a new fork
- don’t buy the bike

How can you possibly complain that a previous owner didn’t set the bike up for your fit??? Comical.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:28 PM
It's Polly!

Good rant.

A couple years ago, I bought a 56cm Bilenky Tourlite from original owner. Yes, I ride 56cm! And yes, guess what? Slammed stem.

Despite the slammed stem, matters got a lot worse when I realized that the fork was a 1" threadless fork. I sent it back to Steve Bilenky to get the steerer tube lengthened.

Meanwhile, I looked everywhere for a decent fork for that bike and came up with nothing. I looked because perhaps it was as simple as going with threaded forks. Everything I looked at was either carbon fiber, disc-brake, or cheap unicrown madness. I wanted a stylish fork worthy of being on a fine bike. The closest I got to was a Soma fork they stopped making.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
The problem there - at least in some cases - is that an owner will slam the stem for his enjoyment and then later sell the bike, often expecting to get some high percentage of what he bought it for even though it is no longer in that same, unaltered condition.
I think this in particular is what I'd have to agree with. Additionally, as someone else mentioned, what if some physical change to your body from age/injury requires some small adjustments? I get it, a slammed stem is sleek, but not worth the tradeoff IMO...

On the other hand, those people who don't cut and leave a foot of steerer tube...
Old 07-28-2020, 03:35 PM

Although I buy bikes planning on keeping them indefinitely, I always leave room both just in case and with a realistic expectation that I will be tweaking my position with time and that it will involve moving the stem up instead of down.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
This.
Or:
- buy a new fork
- don’t buy the bike

How can you possibly complain that a previous owner didn’t set the bike up for your fit??? Comical.
You (and some others) are missing the main point. Not being self-centered here. What I'm saying is that the owner would be better off come for sale time having some steerer for a potential buyer to work with. And of course in some cases I might be happier for that too.

And I said "matching fork" on higher end frames. If I shell out 2 bills on a beautifully painted high end frame w/ color matched fork and then have to swap out the fork, I'll pass.

Sure cut your fork for your fit, you can get that fit with a spacer or two on top. If that's too dorky for you, well .... FWIW, I also think not clamping to the very top of a thin walled carbon fork tube is preferable.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
It's hard to tell whether or not this is a serious thread. I hope it's not...
I fear it is.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Having you considered doing some yoga?
On the other hand, if those with slammed stems suffer a back, neck, or some other injury, or reduction in flexibility caused by something else that leaves them unable to ride a bike with a slammed stem, they're out of luck on all their bikes, yoga or no yoga.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Core work and yoga yo.

Does wonders for off bike fitness as well.
Core work and yoga cut into my saddle time yo...
;-)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
On the other hand, if those with slammed stems suffer a back, neck, or some other injury, or reduction in flexibility caused by something else that leaves them unable to ride a bike with a slammed stem, they're out of luck on all their bikes, yoga or no yoga.
In that case, they could just flip that -17 degree stem and raise the bars a lot. There's usually a way to tinker fit except with regard to something I have where the original owner not only cut the steer tube for slamming the stem, but cut it so short that it could only work with a very particular stem with a very low stack height. I ended up getting another fork.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:47 PM

I used 10mm of spacer on the two LOOK 585 frames, but newer frames often have a little taller head tubes, so my Colnagos have the stem slammed and use -17 stems to produce the 10cm or 4 inch saddle to bar drop that I want.

I can raise the bars up by about 2cm, just with a -6 degree stem and lot more if that stem was flipped up.

When I sell a frame, I list the height of the bars above the floor and the saddle to bar drop to expect with some common stem angles, so there are no surprises.

I've always sold frames quickly.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:48 PM

On the other hand I might lay down for a nap and never wake up. Why would I set "my" bike up for the sake of some potential future owner? Silly IMO

It's not your bike.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:48 PM

Cut the steerer all you want and be happy. Sell it at 25% and make the buyer happy w/ lots of cash to buy a new fork.
Win win.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Au contraire, Ryun's tendency to slam his stem has saved me thousands and thousands of dollars through the years. I'm incredibly grateful!
Old 07-28-2020, 03:52 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I agree with the OP.
I would go further though.

First of all, why all the sizes and colors? I only ride one size, and only like black bikes. So, if they are planning to resell, keep that in mind.

Also what's with all the "minor scratches"? If they would just ride around in bubblewrap, they could sell it on the secondary market much easier.

So many fauxpas when people buy new bikes! Next time, consider my needs because I might just consider to look at an ad to maybe not buy that bike.