Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 02:40 PM

Slammed stem rant

I can't count how many times I've seen a beautiful frameset, in just my size, for a good price, only to have the matching fork cut for a slammed stem. Come on folks, what the heck is wrong with running a few spacers on top? Another "looks dorky" discussion? Is it just me or are the most active sellers on this forum listing the sweetest high-end framesets the ones who usually slam the fork (those who ride a 56 know who I'm talking about ).

Unless you think you are going to keep the frameset for yourself for a long time and not worried about aging, sheesh just cut the fork 2 cm higher and put on some top spacers. You will have a much easier time selling the frameset when it comes time for that.

Oh that felt good, thanks for listening!
Old 07-28-2020, 02:44 PM
Administrator

that's crazy. i buy bikes to ride and enjoy for myself, not curate for the next owner.

i would assert that if you are compromising some aspect of your bike in consideration of the next owner, you're doing it wrong.

IMO, of course.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that's crazy. i buy bikes to ride and enjoy for myself, not curate for the next owner.

i would assert that if you are compromising some aspect of your bike in consideration of the next owner, you're doing it wrong.

IMO, of course.
Yeah, this, totally. If my fit dictates a slammed stem, I'ma slam that stem and cut the excess off the top. Life is too short to ride ugly bikes :-)
Old 07-28-2020, 02:45 PM

hear hear.

leave some steerer for the rest of us

‘it’s cool to be uncool’
-marge simpson to bart
Old 07-28-2020, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
hear hear.

leave some steerer for the rest of us

‘it’s cool to be uncool’
-marge simpson to bart
in life, we all need to choose if we want to be the marge, bart or homer's of the world.

you have shown your cards cinema.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
I can't count how many times I've seen a beautiful frameset, in just my size, for a good price, only to have the matching fork cut for a slammed stem. Come on folks, what the heck is wrong with running a few spacers on top? Another "looks dorky" discussion? Is it just me or are the most active sellers on this forum listing the sweetest high-end framesets the ones who usually slam the fork (those who ride a 56 know who I'm talking about ).

Unless you think you are going to keep the frameset for yourself for a long time and not worried about aging, sheesh just cut the fork 2 cm higher and put on some top spacers. You will have a much easier time selling the frameset when it comes time for that.

Having you considered doing some yoga?
Old 07-28-2020, 02:48 PM

The solution is to buy new
used is just what it is used
Cheers
I do not cut mine I always thought the fork was stronger with a couple of spacers the top

Last edited by Fixed; 07-28-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:55 PM

I do get the op's rant and thats they reason you have to leave some 2 or 5 cm on top of the slammed stem. Because is frustrating to let a bike go because there's no room for a couple of cm of spacers.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:02 PM

My steerer tubes have been left a bit long. One bike has a 5mm spacer; another 10mm; another 20+mm (I should cut that one down but too lazy to pull the fork).
I’m not compromising this aspect for the next owner, I’m doing it for me. It’s called the aging process. Yoga won’t help what I have going on.
I’ve walked away from a few primo bikes that didn’t have enough steerer tube for me. The last thing I want to do is buy a bike and then not be able to find a fork for it.
To each his own....
Old 07-28-2020, 03:10 PM

Haha....this thread is perfectly timed for the discussion I had with my LBS this past weekend. I took my bike it to have the steerer trimmed as I had over 4cm above the stem. I’m also searching for a low stack headset dust cover so opted to keep 10cm of steerer left just in case. The Mech cut it and left 11....

So as soon as I find that dust cover I’m lopping off the rest. If you need more than a 220cm HT you should prob be riding another bike.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

IMO, of course.
The problem there - at least in some cases - is that an owner will slam the stem for his enjoyment and then later sell the bike, often expecting to get some high percentage of what he bought it for even though it is no longer in that same, unaltered condition.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:18 PM

Wait till you get old, and so wish you had kept that precious steerer
Old 07-28-2020, 03:18 PM

I don’t cut the steerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post

I don’t cut the steerer for a new bike, especially if I am just starting to ride it. If it’s a keeper I cut it, but always leave a little steerer above the stem just in case I lose a little flexibility.

I ride long distances, mostly on the hoods and my “fit” is based on riding “on top”. That said, when you buy the bike you own the right to do what you please, so I don’t see it as a “social responsibility”.

I agree, slammed stems, no bueno

Ray
Old 07-28-2020, 03:23 PM

This also reminds me I need to just buy a Park SG-8 cutting guide....LBS charged me $45 and that's not the first time. I have all the other gear, but always think "this will be the last time I need to cut one of these"
Old 07-28-2020, 03:25 PM

It's hard to tell whether or not this is a serious thread. I hope it's not...