Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Check dumpsters and attics for an old Malvern Star. That's what you need.

Yes, I love this idea! :-) a nice 5 star would be awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 12:46 AM

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273984808960
Thoughts???? It’s the right length TT, but a bit over budget, but then again...... it is made by a local legend and those wheels sure are pretty..... mmmmmm

Old 07-31-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
Thoughts???? It’s the right length TT, but a bit over budget, but then again...... it is made by a local legend and those wheels sure are pretty..... mmmmmm

Pretty damn nice if its the right size. If you bought and treated it right it would NOT lose resale value.

Ask Dazza if he's still got info/build sheet for it. Or find member Llewellyn here for a testimonial. He's in Perth but usually around with a good word.

PS: that's my size.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:59 AM

I think you should buy this and be done with it! It's absolutely beautiful.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2020, 01:15 PM

Gibbo, I think you can find really nice Vintage track stuff in australia, track was and probably still big there. And the best thing, probably way better than a brand new chromed bianchi pista.

U guys had many really good builder. Just ask in the velodromes, sure somebody has something hanging around in a shed.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:43 PM

Track bike advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Gibbo, I think you can find really nice Vintage track stuff in australia, track was and probably still big there. And the best thing, probably way better than a brand new chromed bianchi pista.

U guys had many really good builder. Just ask in the velodromes, sure somebody has something hanging around in a shed.

Thanks for that, I do love a good used bike so I will ask at the track and keep my eye on that Llewellyn as well. I sent Dazza a DM regarding the bike so hopefully he sees it and gets back. I really would like to learn more about it.

Last edited by gibbo; 07-31-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I am pretty new to track racing and was wondering what the thoughts are on used track bikes? I am considering a used steel track bike from the 90’s, but wondering if something newer would be better possibly aluminium? Help a newbie out!! :-)

Used bikes are very common in track racing because track racing doesn't put the same kind of wear and tear on bikes and components that road cycling does. Track stuff gets overall less mileage and is more durable, so as people upgrade or switch stuff, they pass their gear around a lot.

If you're looking to get on the boards - and yes, get on those boards! - then do it with ANY TRACK BIKE. A lot of tracks have loaners for intro classes - at least that's how it is in the states, not sure if it's the same in australia.

That LLewelyn is lovely for sure but if you're looking to race and if you have some racing experience, then you might be more at home on a more modern bike. So many companies make decent track bikes that are prices as entry-level bikes - an alu frame with a carbon fork is likely to be stiff and reasonably aerodynamic (look one that's marketed as a track racing bike rather than as a city bike for the masses). One example is the Specialized Langster Pro - it's like a $500 frameset, or something, but I raced it up to UCI level. And, I know people a far cry faster than me who raced on $400 ebay frames.

Any of these affordable bikes are a platform for buying the stuff that matters - a couple different chainrings and cogs, faster wheels if you want, and handlebars that you're comfortable with (a lot of off-the-shelf track bikes come with very deep traditional track drops in 42cm, which are too wide and deep for most racers). Any of those frames would be a great starter bike - if you find that it works for you, it will suit you for a long time. Or, it will provide you with a decent platform to gain some experience while you learn what bike you'd prefer.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Why?
I'm a functional rider. My equipment may not be sexy or stylish but it works in a workingman's class way.

My steel frame works fine in terms of holding the different parts of the bike together. But there's no benefit to buying a steel track frame for racing, if you're racing, versus an aluminum or carbon frame. Again, generally speaking. Steel frames are going to be heavier and more flexible. Functionally not really ideal, at least if you're racing. For me, if I was going to spend, say, $500 on a track bike, I'd try and get an aluminum one. For unlimited/higher funds, a carbon one.

An aluminum frame will be lighter and probably stiffer. A carbon frame will be lighter and probably stiffer.

Ride really doesn't matter on a track bike, which is the one big perceived benefit on a steel frame.

The only reason I raced my steel frame is that it was basically free.

If I fit I'd have bought a Jamis Sonik or the entry level Fuji track bike. Some aluminum simple thing. Throw on a nice rear track wheel (disc or very tall carbon tubular rim), put a "non-quick-release" skewer through a good front wheel (tall carbon tubular rim off a road bike) and you have a pretty killer race bike for a budget price.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
My steel frame works fine in terms of holding the different parts of the bike together. But there's no benefit to buying a steel track frame for racing, if you're racing, versus an aluminum or carbon frame. Again, generally speaking. Steel frames are going to be heavier and more flexible. Functionally not really ideal, at least if you're racing.
But how much does a pound or two of frame weight matter on the track? And how flexible is the typical steel track frame? At the highest levels of track racing these things make a difference, of course, but for having fun racing on the local track, a steel frame is just fine, in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
But how much does a pound or two of frame weight matter on the track? And how flexible is the typical steel track frame? At the highest levels of track racing these things make a difference, of course, but for having fun racing on the local track, a steel frame is just fine, in my opinion.
weight? doesn't matter (I think my track bike might be heavier than my road bike). flex? matters a lot. steel bikes - well, particularly older ones - may have generally been stiff enough for racing back in the day, when gears in the low 90s were the norm even for sprints. now, frankly, i know plenty of amateurs who can ride flying 200 times that would have qualified them for the sprint rounds of the Olympics not long ago, and now people are riding much larger gears - around 110" being common. A flexible frame will handle low torque/high RPMs better than high torque/lower RPMs.

Another aspect of flex is handling at high speeds on steep bankings. For the same reason that we inflate our tires way higher than we do on the road, we want bikes that don't compress in tight turns. I've ridden loaner bikes around small tracks - cigar-shaped ones where there's a tighter turn-radius - and the squish in the corner is evident and unsettling.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I am pretty new to track racing and was wondering what the thoughts are on used track bikes? I am considering a used steel track bike from the 90’s, but wondering if something newer would be better possibly aluminium? Help a newbie out!! :-)

There was a 54cm Serotta track bike on the Serotta fan page classifieds on Facebook.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Remember, the question was what should the OP buy or consider buying.

A free steel frame? Great! Paying similar money for a steel vs aluminum? Not as great.

Getting a good used track bike/frame, bang for buck, aluminum. Weight really doesn't matter because the range is so small (+/- 4 pounds for frame? maybe 6 pounds for bike) but it's better, for the same dollars, to carry less if the stiffness is the same. In fact I sacrifice weight for fit, so I'm running about 2.5-3x weight in the stem, about 2-2.5x weight in the saddle, but that's because the ones I'm running fit me.

As far as stiffness goes, again, for the higher power track events, more is better, and bang for buck, aluminum.

So bang for buck, aluminum. Minimum track bike prices are in the $500-800 range, and if the OP can get an aluminum framed bike, that's what I'd get.

Remember, I'm the one with the steel track frame. Essentially it was free for me, as I've owned it for 30 years. Did I race it? Yes. Was it fine? Well, yes, at the totally grassroots level racing I did. But if someone were to ask me if my bike was as good as an aluminum one? Admittedly no, not at a similar price.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:47 PM

I am no massive power monster, 15s power of 1000 - 1100 w is my peak. I was wondering if wheels would make more difference than frame material?
Old 08-03-2020, 12:01 AM

Nor I, so neither of us are Sean Eadie or Ryan Bailey. My experience is limited, but good tracking (doh!) is what's needed in a track bike.

I'd go stiffness over wheelsets firstly, then look at deep fairing carbon wheels 'n all that stuff, because you want a frame which is not going to whip or buck into the turns, especially on steep banked boards.

Then again, I had to retire a front wheel (very low profile Araya rim) because it was an excellent road wheel, but on the track had too much flex and spent more time shifting the bike off line rather than following a line.

Agree with Carpediem... bang for buck it's aluminium.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I am no massive power monster, 15s power of 1000 - 1100 w is my peak. I was wondering if wheels would make more difference than frame material?
Obviously depends on your size and aerodynamics, but that can be plenty of power to make some serious speed.

But yes, since average speeds in track racing tend to be higher than comparable road racing, fast wheels will absolutely make a difference.

Again, they don't need to be fancy - my spouse raced UCI and Nat'l Championship events on a set of $400 china carbon ebay wheels. They had a channel for the tire seam, offset spoke holes, bladed spokes, and basic sb hubs. Pretty good for the money - anything better would have been twice as much at least.