Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2024, 08:36 AM

Which bike for Cinorider: a style question

I plan to ride Cinorider this year and, having too many bikes, have to decide which one to bring. So I have a style question, akin to "which outfit should I wear to the prom?" In this case, I'm trying to figure out which of two bikes would be most in keeping with the spirit of the event:

MAP rando.jpg
1. my MAP randonneur bike: a modern take on a fat-tired French style randonneur bike. It has some vintage traits: traditional narrow steel frame tubes; horizontal top tube; front handlebar bag, ReneHerse randonneur handlebars, cranks, brakes and 650B x 42mm tires; fluted aluminum fenders; Son generator hub, front and rear generator lights. On the other hand it has a some undeniably non-vintage features: a welded main triangle, a 2 x 11 drivetrain with a modern derailleur which cannot be put in friction mode, and braze ons for two water bottles.

IMG_3354.jpg
2. a resto/mod 1982 Schwinn Superior. This has lots of real vintage touches: Reynolds 531 frame, Nervex lugs, an approximation of Schwinn's bright metallic orange paint, Brooks B17 saddle, the original bosses for 1 water bottle, a 3 x 6 granny plus half step drivetrain which supports friction mode. It has been modded with randonneur touches: Rene Herse brakes and mini rack (not shown in the photo), French handlebar bag. The aluminum fenders are Cascadia, which are creased rather than fluted. Tires are 650B x 38 with tread like Paselas.

I'll be doing a 4 or 5 day credit card tour before Cino, and I think either bike would work, although the gearing on bike 1. has a wider range. Bike 1. has a more comfortable ride and is a bit lighter.

On the other hand bike 2. is an actual vintage bike, (although it has a new fork for safety reasons.)

In trying to judge the vibe of the event from photos, I would guess bike 2. is the best one to fit in style-wise. Bike 1. is either a beautiful modern version of a French rando bike, or an embarrassing rolling advertisement for Renehersecycles.com, depending on the eye of the beholder.

What do you think? What sort of bicycles have people brought to Cino? If your bike is too modern do you get a raft of derision?
Old 02-18-2024, 09:17 AM

I'd go for the NGSB over the OOSB but YMMV
Old 02-18-2024, 09:31 AM

I appreciate your attention to audience, but I'd pick the dress that feels better when you slip it on; it must be easier to get into the spirit of the ride the more comfortable you are. Since the MAP is a bit more ready to wear (for the CC tour as well as the event?), that's gotta be the bike that can let Mark shine a little brighter.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:33 AM

Believe they ask(require?) the frame be built prior to 1987. Not sure when #1 was built?

Looking at the website though, very cool looking jerseys one can purchase.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 02-18-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDog View Post
Believe they ask(require?) the frame be built prior to 1987. Not sure when #1 was built?

Looking at the website though, very cool looking jerseys one can purchase.

Enjoy the ride!
You have a point and may be right but the MAP is most certainly in the spirit of things.

Both cool bikes.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davison View Post

What do you think? What sort of bicycles have people brought to Cino? If your bike is too modern do you get a raft of derision?
No one is going to give you a hard time based on your bike decision, as long as there are no CFRP components on it.

This is what I rode last year:

Old 02-18-2024, 09:58 AM

Cinorider seems to be different than Eroica. There aren't requirements, but a point system.

From the cinorider website:

"What is a Heroic bike? Your bike must have at least three of the following characteristics to be considered Heroic:
  • Steel frame
  • A frame made in 1987 or earlier
  • Non-indexed shifting
  • Old style clip pedals and straps
  • Single speed
  • Downtube shift levers
  • Tubular tires
  • Fixed gear
  • No braze-ons for cables, etc. All clamps

Things that could disqualify you from being heroic, even if you have three of the above
  • suspension forks
  • carbon frame
  • clipless pedals (maybe)
  • mountain bikeā€¦
"

So to be heroic, I have to get one more point for the MAP. I'll just revert to my old toe clips and straps! I can't go strapless. Maybe I'll sneak in a CFRP water bottle cage just to feel naughty.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:59 AM

I'd ride whatever bike you enjoy riding more...both are in the spirit of the event.

That said...the Schwinn is awesome and hard to beat.

dave
Old 02-18-2024, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Also, I think I'm coming again this year, and I might be interested in the route you guys take to get over to the starting area. Perhaps I will join the last leg or two!

Still deciding what bike I might take.

One thing is for sure, I generally like retro stuff, but I really dislike clips and straps. Clipless pedals were one of really the best inventions in modern bike tech, IMO.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:14 AM

The only answer is: YES!
Old 02-18-2024, 10:16 AM

I'm trying to determine if I can make my Bob Jackson workable for this ride. I pulled the dropout screws and slid the wheel back, and that gives 40mm total between the chainstays, so I think I might sneak a 700x32 in there. Right now it has a 700x32 GP5000 that measures 30.5mm on old style narrow Mavic rims. Is a slick like the GP5000 good, or is a tire like the Gravelking SK with the small knobs a better choice?

I'm also working on making the brakes work as good as possible (see thread about brake levers.) I think I'd definitely keep the Paul Racer I have on the front and the original Campy sidepull on the back, unless folks think that upgrading the rear to a Racer is worth it. The Campy has new Koolstop pads so it will be optimized

I have to tear the bike down enough to see if fits in the Post Carry case too.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:20 AM

It's sort of off topic but I'll throw this out there. If you want a room (as opposed to camping) at Alamedas Hot Springs for Saturday night I would encourage everyone to make reservations sooner rather than later. It's not a huge place with unlimited rooms and it will no doubt sell out.

I reserved mine this past week and it feels good to have ticked that box so that I don't need to remember to do it later...when it might be too late.

My 2 cents -

dave
Old 02-18-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm trying to determine if I can make my Bob Jackson workable for this ride. I pulled the dropout screws and slid the wheel back, and that gives 40mm total between the chainstays, so I think I might sneak a 700x32 in there. Right now it has a 700x32 GP5000 that measures 30.5mm on old style narrow Mavic rims. Is a slick like the GP5000 good, or is a tire like the Gravelking SK with the small knobs a better choice?

I'm also working on making the brakes work as good as possible (see thread about brake levers.) I think I'd definitely keep the Paul Racer I have on the front and the original Campy sidepull on the back, unless folks think that upgrading the rear to a Racer is worth it. The Campy has new Koolstop pads so it will be optimized

I have to tear the bike down enough to see if fits in the Post Carry case too.
For the past few years I've used Rene Herse 32 slicks on a old school Mavic narrow rim and they worked well. I suppose that a small knob wouldn't be a bad thing but I've not felt like I was missing out with slicks.

dave
Old 02-18-2024, 10:26 AM
il Curmudgeoni

You will be fine with either bike.

Your bike doesn't have to be 'heroic' to be 'legal', it's more of a request. In the past years it was enforced more but they have relaxed things in the last few years.

On the other hand, if you want to make the MAP heroic, some friction shifters would do the trick. That would give you three qualifying items.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Also, I think I'm coming again this year, and I might be interested in the route you guys take to get over to the starting area. Perhaps I will join the last leg or two!

Still deciding what bike I might take.

One thing is for sure, I generally like retro stuff, but I really dislike clips and straps. Clipless pedals were one of really the best inventions in modern bike tech, IMO.
I have Campy Super Record track pedals on the Bob Jackson and wear 510 Freeriders on that bike. They are too wide for the road pedals, and I need a wide enough shoe to fit my brace.

I have barend shifters running 3x10, cranks are Cino-aged but derailleurs and barends are modern. I can run the barends in friction. If I bring the Campy NR wheels I have a Sachs 13-28 7 speed freewheel but I would want to upgrade the axle as previously suggested to me here since the rear was spread to 130mm.