Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 10:07 PM
Back At It!

SMP Saddle Measurements

If you have an SMP (other than the Pro), can I ask a favor?

I've found that I prefer a saddle that is 70mm wide at 120mm from the rear of the saddle. I have an SMP Pro that is ok, but not my favorite and I've found does not fit the parameters above.. additionally, I've been trying to get comfy my Giant Revolt and, just tonight, realized it has a saddle that does not fit my preferred saddle parameters either.. I really want to try an SMP with the above numbers, and I figure models like the Drakon or some similar might..

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2024, 08:21 AM

The Stratos model is very close to those dimensions. Saddle angle is critical, IMO. I place my bikes in the same place with a level floor, place a flat,etap plate on the saddle from tail to nose and use a digital level to get around 2.5 degrees, nose down. I use an 11cm saddle to bar drop.

I measured mine at the location specified. Factory info won't get you there.

Last edited by Dave; 02-18-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:26 AM

I used to be a big fan of the SMP Forma and the Carbon Lite. It is not a direct answer to your question but I had made this list (I think I might have gotten it from Steve Hogg) back then....

I also have an old Forma I keep around and measuring it (although not precisely because I can't find where I put my calipers) it appears to be 73mm at 120 from the back. Although that measurement is at the bottom of the saddle where it might hit your thighs not the top which would hit your bottom and is narrower there. I will also point out with the curves and swoopy-ness of the SMP's it is really an effort in estimation on measures.

Also, I always found Albabici the importer to be really really helpful when I had questions.

Last edited by htwoopup; 02-18-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:54 AM

Albabici has a technical drawing for all their SMP saddles showing all the dimensions. Got to any saddle page (Dynamic here) and then scroll down the page to the link "Click here for saddle technical specifications" and you'll get a graphic like this for each saddle.

And not to disrupt this discussion, wondering if anyone has used the Dynamic (my current go to for road; also have the Lite 209 and Drakon on mtn and fat bikes) and the newer Nymber. Also interested in the new flatter models (F20/F30) and experiences with them.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:39 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Albabici has a technical drawing for all their SMP saddles showing all the dimensions. Got to any saddle page (Dynamic here) and then scroll down the page to the link "Click here for saddle technical specifications" and you'll get a graphic like this for each saddle.

And not to disrupt this discussion, wondering if anyone has used the Dynamic (my current go to for road; also have the Lite 209 and Drakon on mtn and fat bikes) and the newer Nymber. Also interested in the new flatter models (F20/F30) and experiences with them.
thanks and not a disruption at all, I appreciate all the info!

**lot of good info on the link, but not exactly what I was looking I don't think.. appreciate though!

Last edited by fourflys; 02-18-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:37 PM

These are very rough measurements using a tape measure not calipers so take it that into consideration but a Dynamic 120mm from the back of the saddle is roughly 68mm. I don't have a Drakon at the moment but it is the same base as a Dynamic with more padding so if I were to guess it would be approximately 70mm at the same point. The Lite 209 has even more padding so would probably come out a few mm more than the Drakon but again I don't have one in front of me to take direct measurements.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:45 AM

Steve Hogg published this overview of all the models a decade ago:

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ll-about-smps/
Old 02-19-2024, 08:11 AM

My Stratos was in the low 60mms at 120mm from the rear.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:18 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Steve Hogg published this overview of all the models a decade ago:

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ll-about-smps/
yep, read it a couple of times.. still didn't answer the question I asked in my initial post..
Old 02-19-2024, 10:19 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrimbrake View Post
My Stratos was in the low 60mms at 120mm from the rear.
thanks, I appreciate that!