Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 02:12 PM

Integrated headset adapters for non integrated bike

I am not exactly sure what to call these, but I know there are some special headsets out there that allow for internal routing of cables through the stem/headset area.

I have a Felt AR, and I look at these new bikes that look so clean, and I am wondering if I can do that with mine. It has mechanical Sram Red 11s, and is one of the most aero frames ever made, but I hate seeing the cables flapping in the wind. I have handlebars that can run internally, and finding a stem that has them run internally is not difficult either. It is integrating it into the actual body that would be a challenge.

It isn't a must have, but I see no need for a new bike at this point, and I am just seeing if that might be a fun upgrade.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:51 PM

Probably not, or at least now without a new fork. Most frames that run the cables internally through the headset either:

Use an oversized top headset bearing (using a bearing for a 1 1/2" steerer on a 1 1/8" steerer) and then using a (proprietary) top race with slots to run cables between the headset and steerer.

Or

Use a fork with a non-round steerer (such as a square or a "D" shape), which leaves room for the cables to fit between the steerer and headset bearing

Or

Running the cables down through the top of the steerer, and then out through a hole in the back of the steerer.

If your Felt AR was not originally designed for internal routing, then it probably does not have an oversized top headset bearing, or a non-round steerer. In other words, internal cable routing through the headset is generally only possible with frames/forks that were designed for it.

If your frame uses a tapered steerer (1.5" bottom, 1 1/8" top), then you might possible be able to adapt the Columbus Trittico fork. But you'll need both the Trittico fork and stem to use this system.

(I suspect that one of the reasons the bicycle biz is so enamored with disc brakes and internal cabling is that it essentially required replacing the entire bike to get these features.)
Old 02-14-2024, 04:05 PM
Meh

Headset cable routing is a huge downgrade. Be thankful for your cables flapping in the wind every time you have to adjust your cockpit.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:36 PM

No way to go internal without a special fork that has an internal routing hole and 1-1/2 inch bearings. I have two Yoeleo frames with internal routing. It's not that difficult, as long as you're sure of your fit. If spacers are removed, they're split so they can be removed, but brake hoses might still need shortened slightly.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:40 AM

okay, thanks, everyone.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
(I suspect that one of the reasons the bicycle biz is so enamored with disc brakes and internal cabling is that it essentially required replacing the entire bike to get these features.)

It's 2024 ! ! Who would want those antique rim brakes and external cables anyway ? ?
Old 02-20-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Cat View Post
It's 2024 ! ! Who would want those antique rim brakes and external cables anyway ? ?
Someone who doesn't want to drop $5k on a new bike. The Felt AR is more aero that most new bikes, and I paid like $400 for the frame and I enjoy it.