Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I actually disprove that.
I've got a friend in Germany that also didn't ride SBT GRVL, so there's at least two of you.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:30 PM

I’m sure if local residents wanted to be a thorn in the side of “big gravel” they should discuss what “big gravel” hates the most…paved roads!
Old 01-08-2024, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
In 2009 I promoted (with the monumental and monumentally critical support of NCVC, one of the country's bigger cycling clubs) a race in Lost River, WV. This is a very rural area about 90 minutes from DC. I was told that Hardy County, at the time, had more people per capita on public assistance than anywhere else in the US. Except for one stretch of state highway that we used, I got the entire 13ish mile route repaved, and spent an ungodly amount of time on outreach to the locals. The area had been growing as a cycling destination, which brought money in. The race solidified that and brought a lot of money in - about 100 people chose to spend the night locally and do a group ride the next day. Just the gas fill ups that race attendees and the 88 volunteers (that number is permanently etched in my head) got locally would have been a significant impact for any given day. Everyone involved put a lot into doing everything possible as correctly as possible. I was astonished by how little clean up we had to do in the parking fields, and the route cleanup trash details picked up some gel wrappers and stuff, but all told the riders were great. We contributed a few thousand to the local volunteer fire and rescue department out of proceeds from the race. A local rotary club type of deal did a barbecue and sold out before the second race wave had started. I still like to think we had a huge positive impact.

One gentleman along the race route was quite opposed to it. He told me so when I visited with him, even when I explained the measures we were taking to minimize inconvenience and the benefits that we were bringing - including the huge potholes outside of his driveway that were getting filled thanks to the race. No one was ever prevented from using their road for more than a minute or three, but because we routed all vehicle traffic in the clockwise direction of the loop, some people might need to drive a slightly longer way to get where they were going.

Overall, despite all of the good that we thought we were delivering, and the good behavior that race people exhibited, the general consensus we got from the locals was that they hated everything about it. Some were very pro, but it wasn't hard to see the against. And I committed one actionable and grave error - we had podium champagne for the winners, and the state park where we hosted the event was dry. I hadn't asked and no one had told me. That was the only evident alcohol at the event, and it was 100% on me, and we lost the venue because of it. The race carried on for a few more years (I actually wanted to make year 2 a gran fondo but was overruled), and racers generally loved it while the locals, except for an extremely enthusiastic minority, by and large hated it.

The point of this long rant is that whatever good you think you might be doing might not be seen as good by the people you think should benefit. Especially if people are pooping in people's yards. That's just ridiculous.

This is also the place where I need to acknowledge Jay Moglia, who was a great partner in bringing the event to life and who unfortunately passed unexpectedly a few years ago. He was an icon in DC cycling.

edit - we had tons of porta potties to supplement the bathrooms on site.
I hate to hear that your event wasn't better received by the local populace, but I'm unsurprised. The more I interact with rural types, the more I'm convinced that a significant percentage of them just want to be in a place that never changes, away from other people, and are often wary and suspicious of anyone unfamiliar or new.

I know that doesn't describe everyone in those areas, but the most vocal ones are in my experience.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
I hate to hear that your event wasn't better received by the local populace, but I'm unsurprised. The more I interact with rural types, the more I'm convinced that a significant percentage of them just want to be in a place that never changes, away from other people, and are often wary and suspicious of anyone unfamiliar or new.

I know that doesn't describe everyone in those areas, but the most vocal ones are in my experience.
It’s almost like they don’t want to live in the city.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
It’s almost like they don’t want to live in the city.
Agreed, but it's not like having an extra 300 or so people around for a day is "living in the city".

It's one thing to want land and space, it's something else entirely to be a misanthrope.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:29 PM

Quote:

And there's something wrong with that? Sounds like Utopia to me.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:33 PM
Back At It!

wow, lots of opinions on this one.. a couple of thoughts from me..

1. it was mentioned this race happened in peak hay season.. having some family that hays in Oregon, that is a BIG deal.. you may only have a day or two to get your hay done depending on weather.. and that means getting your equipment to/from the fields and getting your hay hauled to the final destination. Not an insignificant issue

2. it was also mentioned that the event happened at the same time as the state or county fair.. again, having grown up in an area where farming and 4H was King, this is a HUGE deal for that community.. if they can't get their livestock to and from the fair, that is a big deal.. even in 2023..

3. finally, I think we all know riders/racers can be a-holes to both folks on the road and the environment.. I've seen a lot of folks mention NIMBY.. well, some riders view that the other way.. they don't don't care how they leave the scene since it's not their back yard.. not all or maybe even most, but it only takes a few..

it sounds like they can make some changes in the future (dates that don't conflict with the fair or prime haying times) and some logistical and route changes and could make it work..

Last edited by fourflys; 01-08-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:35 PM
Boeuf Chane

I can see how those folks would have a problem if 3000 Lycra-clad weirdos showed up for a ride. Folks who live where I ride used to respond to BAM (Bike Across Missouri) with tacks in the road.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I've got a friend in Germany that also didn't ride SBT GRVL, so there's at least two of you.
I’m embarrassed to admit that I was there in 2022 (I didn’t have my car!) but didn’t bother to do the ride.

I think this is probably a tempest in a teapot and just a local conflict between the ski town and the surrounding ranchette owners.

BTW, when I ride gravel, I’m looking for an outdoor experience and pee wherever I want.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
It's one thing to want land and space, it's something else entirely to be a misanthrope.
This. But, for whatever reasons, rural America seems chock full of misanthropes.

Bike-packing in rural VA, every other house seems to have signage to the effect of “NO TRESSPASSING WE HAVE GUNS AND KNOW HOW TO USE THEM!” And the alternate houses have purple flashes on all the trees.

I have a coworker with acreage out in the boonies. He once got in a huff because somebody XC skied across the edge of his property. I couldn’t understand why he was upset. It’s just trees out there (no farming operation to disrupt, not near his home/garden, etc). He only knew they were there because the skied after work and had headlamps on - had they gone through mid-day, he likely would never have known.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
This. But, for whatever reasons, rural America seems chock full of misanthropes.

Bike-packing in rural VA, every other house seems to have signage to the effect of “NO TRESSPASSING WE HAVE GUNS AND KNOW HOW TO USE THEM!” And the alternate houses have purple flashes on all the trees.

I have a coworker with acreage out in the boonies. He once got in a huff because somebody XC skied across the edge of his property. I couldn’t understand why he was upset. It’s just trees out there (no farming operation to disrupt, not near his home/garden, etc). He only knew they were there because the skied after work and had headlamps on - had they gone through mid-day, he likely would never have known.
Having grown up in rural VA I can totally understand and even embrace this. I guess I'm one of those misanthropes too by some of ya'll's judgmental posts here. We are all not the same and that certainly does not make anyone of us better than the other. Although that sentiment does not seem to be shared by all commenting here.

Is there a problem with respecting someone's privacy and their property?

Oh and for reference. I still have the scar on my shoulder from a hunter trespassing on our farm. Dumb ass heard me and shot in my direction without even identifying what he was shooting at. Luckily I just lost a chunk of meat off the point of my shoulder. And in earlier years we had one of our prized Tennessee Walking Horses shot and hobbled by another idiot trespassing to hunt on our farm.

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-08-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post

And there's something wrong with that? Sounds like Utopia to me.
Nothing wrong with preferring rural living whatsoever. I just don't understand resentment of others not from your backyard, nor general resentment of cities and urbanites.

Rural areas wouldn't have electricity and other infrastructure without the economic engine of the urban areas. Of course, rural areas provide farmland and other things needed by the cities. It seems silly to pretend that one doesn't need the other.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Having grown up in rural VA I can totally understand and even embrace this. I guess I'm one of those misanthropes too by some of ya'll's judgmental posts here. We are all not the same and that certainly does not make anyone of us better than the other. Although that sentiment does not seem to be shared by all commenting here.

Oh and for reference. I still have the scar on my shoulder from a hunter trespassing on our farm. Dumb ass heard me and shot in my direction without even identifying what he was shooting at. Luckily I just lust a check of meat off the point of my shoulder. And in earlier years we had one of our prized Tennessee Walking Horses shot and hobbled but another idiot trespassing to hunt on our farm.
It's not misanthropic at all to want your property to be respected. It's a bit misanthropic to get really angry at a one-day event occurring on public roads that you happen to live near.

I wasn't being judgmental toward people who prefer rural life, I just don't get the hostility toward "outsiders" that sometimes accompanies it. I don't get mad when rural people come into "my" city to buy groceries, go out to eat, shop, or work.

I'd wager no one on this board would trespass to hunt, but most of us would happily ride public roads away from where we live. I think the difference there is pretty clear.

Last edited by tommyrod74; 01-08-2024 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:08 PM
Meh

Quote:
Nothing wrong with preferring rural living whatsoever. I just don't understand resentment of others not from your backyard, nor general resentment of cities and urbanites.

Rural areas wouldn't have electricity and other infrastructure without the economic engine of the urban areas. Of course, rural areas provide farmland and other things needed by the cities. It seems silly to pretend that one doesn't need the other.
Ya’ll could probably stand to read this article. I promise it’s worth it!

“Beyond the Myth of Rural America“

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-rural-america
Old 01-08-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Signs or purple blazes arent going to stop someone from disrespecting your property or your person.

99.9% of the people that pass by a house/farm/etc out in rural areas are respectful, wont bother you and will probably wave. But instead people want to put up all of the signs and not so thinly veiled threats of violence for 100% of the people to see. It makes me scratch my head and wonder what it is they're afraid of out where there's 11 people in a square mile or they think everyone's coming by to steal something.