Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2021, 06:06 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Looking at your stats, I see you're from the CHS SC area, so I looked on craigslist, where you must be looking.

Sounds like you're not too "audiophile" and the Pioneer dump speakers met your needs. From the speakers you mention as candidates, it also sounds like you are looking at floorstanders.

Yes; get the KEFs. I don't see the JBL's listed on craigslist in your area. If budget is an issue, there's a pair of Polk RT600i's for sale in Summerville for $90. You'll be happy either way.
No, the JBLs are new at Crutchfield.
Looking at the KEFs tomorrow.
The “dump” Pioneers met my needs bc i was poor.
Thanks, i did see the Polks for $90 but already arranged to see/hear the KEFs, which I will prob go for...
-Robin
Old 02-07-2021, 06:19 PM

I went thru this process a couple months ago and at the time jamos were on sale everywhere. Some highly regarded models too. Not sure what that was about but seemed like some great deals
Old 02-07-2021, 07:09 PM

I could be wrong but I think the Jamo's that are on sale everywhere are more home cinema orientated rather than Hi Fi, so that's obviously something to hear in mind. Depends on whether music or home cinema is your priority. They have a pretty neat Atmos add-on IIRC.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:17 PM

These little buggers are great! https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...waAjAvEALw_wcB
Old 02-07-2021, 07:37 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I could be wrong but I think the Jamo's that are on sale everywhere are more home cinema orientated rather than Hi Fi, so that's obviously something to hear in mind. Depends on whether music or home cinema is your priority. They have a pretty neat Atmos add-on IIRC.
yes, music only!
Old 02-07-2021, 07:39 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot870 View Post
i like B&H, and forgot to check their used section! dont get me going on Nikon Fs....
Old 02-07-2021, 07:49 PM

Speakers have developed a lot in ten years. You'll be better off with something new.

In that budget, I'd be looking at a pair of Q150s if you think you're keen on the KEF house sound.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...air-new/1.html

This is providing you can also budget for some stands. In a space that size, I'm not sure if you'll really benefit from a pair of floorstanders over bookshelf speakers. The dynamics of a bookshelf speakers are usually tuned for lower volumes, which could help in your case. Our living room/kitchen area is about 700sq ft and my B&W 607s really fill the room and they're a very small cabinet.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 02-07-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
yes, music only!
If you want musical then a used set of Paradigm Reference bookshelves will be near the budget and kick the pants off of any previously mentioned speakers. But they are somewhat lacking in deep bass
Old 02-07-2021, 08:03 PM

I am a big fan of Ascend Acoustics: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html
Excellent bang for your buck. I have a pair of the CBM-170’s in my office and they’re great. Also using their stuff for our TV surround sound, 5.1.
I’d check out the CBM or CMT in your price range. If you can find them used, even better.
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:04 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Speakers have developed a lot in ten years. You'll be better off with something new.

In that budget, I'd be looking at a pair of Q150s if you think you're keen on the KEF house sound.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...air-new/1.html

This is providing you can also budget for some stands. In a space that size, I'm not sure if you'll really benefit from a pair of floorstanders over bookshelf speakers. The dynamics of a bookshelf speakers are usually tuned for lower volumes, which could help in your case. Our living room/kitchen area is about 700sq ft and my B&W 607s really fill the room and they're a very small cabinet.
yes, i considered room size, plus my neighbors. but i hope im not here forever. maybe i am way behind in speaker tech, but i like having a separate mid-range, as well. dont i?
Old 02-07-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
I am a big fan of Ascend Acoustics: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html
Excellent bang for your buck. I have a pair of the CBM-170’s in my office and they’re great. Also using their stuff for our TV surround sound, 5.1.
I’d check out the CBM or CMT in your price range. If you can find them used, even better.
Good luck and enjoy!

I was also going to recommend the CBM-170’s. It’s a very well balanced bookshelf sized speaker at a great price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 02-07-2021, 10:48 PM

So far, for the price the matched pair of KEF's close to you is your bet/
They are a bit bright and need some help down low.
Make sure not to place them to close to the wall as it helps opening the mids up moving them a foot out or so

They are pretty easy to drive and really really like a tube amp / pre amp.

Last edited by sighting; 02-07-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:11 AM

I had those KEF's in my first system. You will like them--everyone else did! It was also great advice for you to find some old Vandersteen speakers (1C or 1B would be really great) as well as looking at what Ascend Acoustics has to offer.

The KEF's will be very very good, Vandersteens will seem a bit more musical, and Ascend Acoustics will seem a little bit more alive. All three, you will be drinking champagne for beer money and nobody will be the wiser

Good luck--you can't lose!
Old 02-08-2021, 01:18 AM

Quote:
yes. no place to place on a shelf....unless i place them on the old speakers!
Not a good idea. I put my brand new JBL L100 T3s on top of the old Cerwin Vegas due to lack of space. Within an hour one of them vibrated off and broke the neck off a mint 1965 Gibson Melody Maker that was sitting in the stand in front of the speakers.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:24 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
efficiency is usually stated as Db/1w
The specification you are looking for is Sensitivity

Quote:
i like having a separate mid-range, as well. dont i?
At your budget, not necessarily. The hardest part of a speaker design to get right is the crossover network, the components which divide the frequency spectrum into 2 or 3 (or 4, or...) subdivisions and assigns them to the respective drivers. A speaker with a midrange driver has, by definition, two crossovers (one between the woofer and midrange drivers, another between the midrange and tweeter drivers) and since both of those crossover frequencies are right in the middle of the range of human hearing, any aberrations or shortcomings will be more conspicuous.

In short, all things being equal it's easier to build a good-sounding 2-way crossover than a good-sounding 3-way crossover, especially if one of those Things Being Equal is the pricepoint.