Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrimbrake View Post
https://udog.cc/blogs/about-us/technology

Attachment 1698079244

Really digging my UDog Tensiones. A rather new company, read about the wide toe box in a shoe review article and decided to try them. 15% off first order. No affiliation, just sharing so more people will learn about them and hopefully help those with foot problems or simply wanting a shoe that is designed like the human foot. Also, would love to see this brand succeed so their shoes stay in business.

I was going to buy Lakes originally but at the price, I didn't want to take the gamble after reading mixed reviews and all the different models of shoes is overwhelming. At under $150 shipped (with the 15% off) I figured I'd try these instead. Glad I did.

Fast forward a few months and I get an indoor trainer so I bought a pair of clearance Shimano RC100s for indoor use because the description mentioned the wider toe box and for $50 with an easy velcro closure I said why not? They arrived and I tried them on and was disappointed. While my big toe seemed less scrunched my pinky toe had no room for movement and was pushing inwards. Returned them right away.

I've been through this trying to find MTB flat pedal shoes for years. Mostly comparing toe boxes in pictures and reading as many reviews trying to figure out what has a wide toe box. There was a pair of Five Tens that was discontinued, a pair of Fiziks that were okay but finally found some lower end Shimanos that about a year ago that work but are now being phased out. Not sure if the new replacement model will have the same generous toe box width. Not sure why there isn't a brand pushing human foot shape tech in MTB as they do it for hiking and trail running. Happy that UDog has done it for road/gravel cycling. Maybe they will make a flat pedal shoe one day.

Well there isn't a single MTB shoe currently that doesn't look like an early 00s era skate shoe meets star wars paratrooper, which as a grown adult I have no interest in looking like. I've found any flat soled vibram trail runner shoe fits better and looks normal usually for less than the cost of MTB brands. Altra Grafton for example work great and the soles are just as good as 5.10s I've tried. I've also had okay luck (on the wide fit) Salomon trail runners, topo athletics, and even Sense of Motion (best foot shape imo, but best suited for mellow XC riding).
Old 02-19-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
Well there isn't a single MTB shoe currently that doesn't look like an early 00s era skate shoe meets star wars paratrooper, which as a grown adult I have no interest in looking like. I've found any flat soled vibram trail runner shoe fits better and looks normal usually for less than the cost of MTB brands. Altra Grafton for example work great and the soles are just as good as 5.10s I've tried. I've also had okay luck (on the wide fit) Salomon trail runners, topo athletics, and even Sense of Motion (best foot shape imo, but best suited for mellow XC riding).
I wear Altra Lone Peaks daily and love their width. I’d check out those Grafton (great trail btw) but if the sole is super soft my pins would tear them up pretty quick. Currently using Shimano GR5s which have been great and can be had cheap right now since they came out with a replacement model. They look less like a puffy early 2k skate shoe. Before that I had Fizik tensors but for the price they didn’t last and the toe box was slightly less wide than my current Shimano. Previous to that was 5.10 Freeride Contacts(zero tread under the pedal so the pins grab anywhere) which were great for the toe box but discontinued and the regular Freeriders are slimmer. Mostly ride trail/enduro with a lot of rocks in Vegas so I don’t mind a burlier shoe for protection.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrimbrake View Post
I wear Altra Lone Peaks daily and love their width. I’d check out those Grafton (great trail btw) but if the sole is super soft my pins would tear them up pretty quick. Currently using Shimano GR5s which have been great and can be had cheap right now since they came out with a replacement model. They look less like a puffy early 2k skate shoe. Before that I had Fizik tensors but for the price they didn’t last and the toe box was slightly less wide than my current Shimano. Previous to that was 5.10 Freeride Contacts(zero tread under the pedal so the pins grab anywhere) which were great for the toe box but discontinued and the regular Freeriders are slimmer. Mostly ride trail/enduro with a lot of rocks in Vegas so I don’t mind a burlier shoe for protection.
Yep I hear you. The graftons held up great when I rode a lot living in Tucson for about 2 yrs on a set of large Shimano XT flats.

Last edited by lorenbike; 02-19-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
Yep I hear you. The graftons held up great when I rode a lot living in Tucson for about 2 yrs on a set of large Shimano XT flats.
Nice