Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2024, 10:30 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Right now it has a 700x32 GP5000 that measures 30.5mm on old style narrow Mavic rims. Is a slick like the GP5000 good, or is a tire like the Gravelking SK with the small knobs a better choice?
I've used Paselas every single year that I rode Cino. Two of those years were on 28s that measured 26mm wide and I've seen many people do it on skinnier tires. As long as it's not muddy there's really no need for knobs IMO.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:44 AM

That Schwinn is killer
Old 02-18-2024, 12:38 PM

I'm exploring a different angle for NHAero even though he doesn't want me to. I've got a Austro-Daimler Vent Noir II vintage bike on the stand that is almost the same size as his BJ and has a frame that is wonderfully suited for 650B conversion. Preliminary experiments show that it will fit 650B x 42 with room to spare for fenders if necessary. Next I'm going to try 650B x 48 with no fenders--that would be a plush ride.

Brakes are TBD. Tektro 559s have been fitted and they work without the pads going to the bottom of the slots. Will try Paul long reach center pulls next--they might fit since the Tektro 559s are not bottomed out.

Going this afternoon to visit Bob Freeman to have him check out the frame. Alas, there is a dent in the seat tube about 5" down from the top, and unremovable rust spots on the chromed fork. (The whole bike is chromed in a weird smoky green-brown chrome.) But I figure if the bike is structurally sound it's perfect for gravel because it's already been dinged. Also great for urban use, because who would want to steal it?

The Campagnolo Gran Sport gruppo will have to go but I have parts for several different 3 x 9 setups with barcons and levers that have more mechanical advantage than the Campy ones currently on the bike.

Attaching luggage will be slightly challenging. The bike has fender eyelets and that's it. Either soft bike packing bags plus Klik Fix handlebar bag, or racks that attach at the fender eyelets and brake bolts will have to be used. Weight will have to be concentrated up front because the frame is very light.

I know Marc loves his BJ, but this bike has clearance galore! Just as much as the MAP. Why settle on British style under-biking when French style supple fat tires are an option on an Austrian bike? Talk about multi-culturism.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Also, I think I'm coming again this year, and I might be interested in the route you guys take to get over to the starting area. Perhaps I will join the last leg or two!

Still deciding what bike I might take.

One thing is for sure, I generally like retro stuff, but I really dislike clips and straps. Clipless pedals were one of really the best inventions in modern bike tech, IMO.
I would ride grippy flat pedals before I'd ride clips and straps.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:50 PM

Is this the correct Alameda Hot Springs?

https://www.alamedashotsprings.org
Old 02-18-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Also, I think I'm coming again this year, and I might be interested in the route you guys take to get over to the starting area. Perhaps I will join the last leg or two!

Still deciding what bike I might take.

One thing is for sure, I generally like retro stuff, but I really dislike clips and straps. Clipless pedals were one of really the best inventions in modern bike tech, IMO.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I ride grippy flats on some bikes, clips and straps on others, clipless on others. I don't know if they are equitable, but they are diverse and inclusive
Old 02-18-2024, 02:29 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davison View Post
Is this the correct Alameda Hot Springs?

https://www.alamedashotsprings.org
That's it alright!