Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
@ XXTwindad: This is one of my favorite things to ponder, the history of where I am riding, on a major historical level and on a personal, very local historical level. There are derelict objects to be found all over the place, some of which took a lot of labor to create or expense to purchase. What is the history and what was the purpose of that decrepit shed, outbuilding, tractor, car, isolated piece of stone wall, furnace, piece of machinery, remnant of playground, enshrined rusty old bicycle, or fragment of unidentifiable artifact that might have once been part of something recreational or agricultural/utilitarian?
These things once meant something significant to someone or someones. What was that thing and when did it lose its meaning?

Pondering this increases my joy of bike riding, and discovering the answers compounds that joy with meaningfulness.

Back when I was spending more time in NJ and coincidentally got very into Revolutionary era history, finding out that a place where I often rode and walked was the rendezvous point for a critical meeting between George Washington and one of my historical heroes, the Marquis de Lafayette, wow, that made such a difference to how I experienced that place!
Really great post. Start a blog! I’ll read it. 🍻
Old 11-06-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Really interesting write-up that touches on a deeper subject: to what extent are we responsible for knowing (or appreciating) the history of the areas we like to ride in (or "on" as the case may be)

I think about this frequently while cycling in the Headlands/Mt. Tam area. Worth pondering. For me, at least.
Girltwindad, I agree. My wife and I live and ride in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, as does Michael (Baron Blubba). Virginia has a very rich, although not always great, history (slavery, confederacy to protect the "state's right" for slavery). I have become a civil war buff, and 6 battles occurred in or around Winchester (1st, 2nd, & 3rd battles of Winchester, 1st and 2nd battles of Kernstown, Cedar Creek). We love riding through the historical sites.

Longbranch Plantation: a historical site today but a slave-worked plantation before the end of the civil war.

Battle of Cedar Creek, or Belle Grove, which was the Plantation on the battle grounds.

Belle Grove Plantation: Like Longbranch, a historical site today, but a slave-worked plantation before the end of the civil war. The Emancipation Proclamation didn't mean much to the Confederate south.

Last edited by dcama5; 11-10-2023 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:14 PM

More fun in the sun.
Having a blast riding with some old friends in South Florida.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 bikes Deerfield.jpg (132.5 KB, 295 views)
Old 11-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Vendor

77 degrees on November 7th? We'll take it! A friend came down from NJ to visit me in VA today, and we spent nearly six and a half hours exploring all the rolling dirt and mountainous country roads in and around the Fort Valley region.
Phew, what a day! It doth not get much better than this, folks. If any Paceliners would ever like the tour, please send me a message and I will do my part to make it happen.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 11-07-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
77 degrees on November 7th? We'll take it! A friend came down from NJ to visit me in VA today, and we spent nearly six and a half hours exploring all the rolling dirt and mountainous country roads in and around the Fort Valley region.
Phew, what a day! It doth not get much better than this, folks. If any Paceliners would ever like the tour, please send me a message and I will do my part to make it happen.

Hey … is that ENVE bike carbon? How’s it ride? 😉
Old 11-07-2023, 07:29 PM
Vendor

It’s both stiff and compliant, and built to last!
Old 11-08-2023, 06:29 AM

Fall ride on the Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2908.jpg (151.5 KB, 251 views)
Old 11-08-2023, 12:10 PM

Had a great time at Shawangunk Grit this past weekend. I did the shorter 23 mile course but I think next year I'll do the longer 50 mile one. Beautiful place!
Old 11-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Vendor

ah87, those are stunning pictures. I've no idea where Shawangunk is, but will be googling it shortly! Post google edit: Ah! It's on the way, heading south to north, to my parents' house in Fleischmanns, NY! This is exciting!

Today's adventure was endlessly rolling country gravel/dirt/paved roads with a visiting friend, mostly in the Clarke County, VA area. 'Pavement Ends' --is there a more beautiful two-word sequence in the English language other than perhaps 'Free Refills' and 'Ice Cream?' (Which, when combined into a four word sequence, become exponentially sweeter.)

Old 11-08-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
ah87, those are stunning pictures. I've no idea where Shawangunk is, but will be googling it shortly! Post google edit: Ah! It's on the way, heading south to north, to my parents' house in Fleischmanns, NY! This is exciting!
This route was in the Mohonk Preserve. Really beautiful and well-maintained park two hours from NYC administered by Mohonk Mountain House. There's a nominal fee to enter that goes towards maintenance costs. Here's the 23 mile route that I rode. Definitely want to come back!
Old 11-08-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
A nice bicycle that is not seeing enough time in rotation.

Is this the frame that was just in the classifieds recently? Looks nice
Old 11-08-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbm View Post
Is this the frame that was just in the classifieds recently? Looks nice
Yes, and it is really nice. I picked it up as a compliment to another steel mid reach metal bike but I think there is too much overlap between the two! This one will be hitting the classifieds for the 54ish folks once I make an ad.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Had a meeting to attend earlier in the week in the Albany area. Weather was predicted for mid 60's and sunny, so I drove up early with a bike in the truck. Glorious day out with low traffic and quiet roads.

Short ride, no major climbs, but very punchy terrain. 32 miles total with 2800' of elevation. All the little stuff adds up.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:09 PM
ZhugeLiang

Lake Georgetown, Cedar Breaks Park

Old 11-11-2023, 05:27 PM

Today's ride

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk