Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Buying Local - The Good Stuff!

So the Amazon thread got us thinking about the changes going on full throttle in the world we live in.

What are some of the great things that you still buy locally?

Local craftsmen/women, artisans, merchants, etc?

Bonus points if you are specific and maybe turn other forum members on to a great shop they may not have known about.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:26 AM
Administrator

I'll start.

I'm a coffee junkie, and definitely notice a huge difference if i buy my beans locally from a shop that i know roasts them in-house.

so much fresher and full of flavor. plus - i get to try new blends and things.

i dont think i will ever go for buying beans regularly over the internet. local wins every time for this one.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:08 AM

Baguettes - Marie Bette bakery and Market St Market are easy winners over the chain grocery stores. Disagreement in the family over which of those two better, but the bakery has the added benefit of multiple tasty treats to pick out as well. Both are also easy bike ride away.

Hardware store - Martin Hardware - bike ride away and there’s always someone within 20 feet to give advice. If they don’t have it, they can direct you to another local supplier.

Lotsa good breweries in my town, but Random Row has 1/2 price growlers on Mondays and ... wait for it .... easy bike ride away!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:36 AM

Inside Line Equipment. Best bags in the biz. And local to the East Bay.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:36 AM

I try to shop local when I can. Here is my list of great things I have lcoal to me that I use regularily.

Velocolour is local to me - drive by them every day on the way to work, Noah actually lives about a block from my house. Their tool rolls work well, and can't say anything that has not been said about their paint that has not already been said before.

We shop at a butcher that sources its meat from local farms, nice to know where the farm is and what the animals ate.

Our vegetables in the summer come from a CSA program run by a friend's brother. Another nice to know what you are eating.

My suits are bought from a local shop that sources from Coppley - a shop in Hamilton - about 45 minutes away. My other suits are from Samuelsohn - in Montreal so kind of local in the fashion world. Nice to get high quality made to measure for less than off the rack "designer".

Wines - we have started drinking a significant amount of local wines - Prince Edward County (2 hrs away) and Niagara (1.5 hrs away). Fun to explore and meet the people who make the wine and learn about what they are trying to do.

My hardware store, while part of a chain (Home Hardware) is actually a dealer co-op and is great, they don't have the best selection, but they will have what you need - or you can order what you want on line from them and have it delivered to the store and they get "credit" for the order. Best of both worlds.

Saving up for a pair of Peter Feeney shoes, a local shoemaker.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:45 AM
Classics Fan

Simon Pearce makes some excellent glass ware, and are located on one of my favorite routes. Lately they've branched into more house ware stuff, which I understand is a business decision, but feels a bit like selling out.

King Arthur Flour is one of the oldest companies in the US and produces some great products.

Pompanoosuc Mills produces high end solid wood furniture. Some really great stuff.

And a shout out to a local artist, Matt Brown who makes Japanese style wood block prints.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:53 AM

Kingman, AZ has good booze. Probably the best rum I've had since I was stationed in Italy and could buy Havana Club.

https://www.desertdiamonddistillery.com/

Flagstaff is only two hours away, I have two Coconino bikes.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Kingman, AZ has good booze. Probably the best rum I've had since I was stationed in Italy and could buy Havana Club.

https://www.desertdiamonddistillery.com/

Flagstaff is only two hours away, I have two Coconino bikes.
Let´s see those 2 bikes:
Old 11-26-2019, 09:11 AM

Abby tools
Spurcycle
Cushcore
Earth Cruiser

I really want to sell my Sprinter and get an Earth Cruiser but I may need to wait about 5 years when the kids are done with high school. That and sell my house.

There is a pretty good “ buy local” vibe here.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post

King Arthur Flour is one of the oldest companies in the US and produces some great products.
...and is worker-owned!
Old 11-26-2019, 09:18 AM

I only patronize my local dog food store (no PetSmart or Petco) and only send my dogs to my local veterinarian (instead of Banfield).
Old 11-26-2019, 09:21 AM

Very local to me ! Just across the street from the post office and bank in Hinesburg. Pick some up if you can find it, or are coming to the area....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.19.57 AM.jpg (48.2 KB, 488 views)
Old 11-26-2019, 09:29 AM

Local farmers market for produce. Local breweries. Local wineries. Local dispensaries. Neighborhood bike, bakery, and book stores. One baker that delivers to the house. Local home improvement center, Jerry’s, with better selection and service than Lowe’s or Home Depot.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:32 AM

Good thread! Arizmendi Bakery in Oakland. Worker owned.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Let's see...from west to east it goes something like this:

Palisade, CO peaches and too many wineries to pick just one to brag about. They also make some good Gin: Jackelope Gin being my favorite(Spirits)! There's a local brewery that makes some good beers and pretty good food to boot. They also have the only local marijuana dispensary. The owners do make an effort to grow some of their product locally and invest a lot of energy into the town(never mind the tax revenue they've contributed to the town.) Also Rapid Creek Cycles has invested a huge amount of energy in the local riding scene and river rafting adventures! They pretty much single-handedly developed and will build the palisade plunge, a trail that should rival The Whole Enchilada in terms of epic gravity assisted mtbiking trails. COPMOBA is pretty important when it comes to local trail building and public land access. Whether it's drumming up volunteers to turn a shovel for an old trail or a new one, or organizing and hosting fundraisers they're pretty awesome.

Grand Junction, CO has more manufacturing and is home to places like
MRP (formerly known as White Brothers, still making Kreitler Rollers) A lot of stuff is still manufactured in their shop, or at the very least engineered and assembled in house.
DT Swiss does make spokes here and assembles quite a lot wheels. Along with amazing customer service and tons of support for local riding and racing events.
There are amazing local bike shops in town whether it's suspension service, same day service, an eclectic selection, or folks that like to get rowdy they're all worth a visit.
Wiggy's makes some really great cold weather gear.
I haven't bought one yet, but Vintage Overland makes some awesome teardrop campers.
One day soon I plan to spend loads of money at Hill People Gear.
I have had a few pieces of Loki gear(mainly their head-ware) and loads of people rock their stuff around these part.
I don't eat sweets often, but it smells nice by Enstroms.

Fruita, CO is home to Over the Edge who put the valley on the map with their love of riding trails back before Mountain Biking was even a thing. The Copper Club is a great place to hang with some amazing pizza around the corner at The Hot Tomato.

There's loads more, but these are the ones that came to mind this morning.

Last edited by dustyrider; 11-26-2019 at 09:50 AM.