Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 PM

This brings up a good point. Ask your doctor to check your stool for blood. They can give you a packet you take home, and smear a little poop... then send it in. Easy to do as part of early cancer screening. The finger prostate exam is really a shot in the dark (literally) but they can do a blood test. Also cheap and easy... As we ride out in the sun, get your skin looked over yearly - including butt cheeks, between fingers and toes, scalp... Melanoma hides...

And CANCER - FU*K YOU
Old 11-26-2019, 07:59 PM

Update

I am almost through week 4 of a 6 week chemo/radiation regiment. So far so good. Oral chemo twice a day and get my second chemo infusion next week.
I have been feeling good for the most part. Just starting to get the radiation burn to the affected area. Being active has been my saving grace imho.
Hikes with the doodle a few times a week and still riding 2/3 time a week but just 12 to 15 mile at a slower pace. I think today may have been my last ride till I am all healed up on my back side. Today was a bit uncomfortable with the rad burn becoming more prevalent to the treatment area.
Wife is not keen on me riding due to my WBC down to 2.1 and platelets really dropping over the past week. Staying active and a great support group helped me tremendously.
I will get through this and the treatment has not been as horrible as I had in my head going into this. I think these last 2 weeks will really start to affect me both mentally and physically,but i am almost complete.
Dr. today said it looked like it was caught at a stage 2.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:03 PM
Everything is connected

Good karma and a bunch of dancing bananas headed your way.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Good on you, glad to hear things aren’t as bad as expected. Chin up and kick its a$$.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the update, and what sounds like good news to me.

I can't offer much advice, but as to how cycling might cause such a malady, I would think that dehydration would most likely have something to do with that, the same sort of dehydration that has always kept me somewhat paranoid about the possibility of constipation following longer rides in hot weather.

Good luck, and I hope that the rest of your treatment goes by as well as it has been going.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:05 PM

Thoughts and prayers for a complete healing Skiezo. All the best!!
Old 11-27-2019, 06:01 AM

Thanks for sharing, and your encouraging of others to get checked. I am long overdue for colonoscopy. And best wishes dealing with this. You seem to have the all important positive attitude.

Regarding the cycling being a possible cause, I would be willing to bet that there is no scientific evidence to support that.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Very good news on a long and difficult recovery..for you and sometimes those around you..you have a great support group, karma and good vibes do travel.

ANOTHER great point is to Get the EXAM!! Do it early(particularly with family history) and do it often...
Old 11-27-2019, 06:13 AM

You are strong! Good news. You are winning this one.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I am almost through week 4 of a 6 week chemo/radiation regiment. So far so good. Oral chemo twice a day and get my second chemo infusion next week.
I have been feeling good for the most part. Just starting to get the radiation burn to the affected area. Being active has been my saving grace imho.
Hikes with the doodle a few times a week and still riding 2/3 time a week but just 12 to 15 mile at a slower pace. I think today may have been my last ride till I am all healed up on my back side. Today was a bit uncomfortable with the rad burn becoming more prevalent to the treatment area.
Wife is not keen on me riding due to my WBC down to 2.1 and platelets really dropping over the past week. Staying active and a great support group helped me tremendously.
I will get through this and the treatment has not been as horrible as I had in my head going into this. I think these last 2 weeks will really start to affect me both mentally and physically,but i am almost complete.
Dr. today said it looked like it was caught at a stage 2.
Keep trucking.
Remember the worst of it is the last 2 weeks of therapy [I]plus[I] the two weeks following that.
It can be tough to keep morale high when the therapy is over and yet you feel worse than you did while on it.
It's important for both you and your support team to know that. Often times support drops off because therapy is over......people don't realize you need them more than ever at that point.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:41 AM

Great to hear it's going ok...and sounds like you have a great support system...I bet staying active has helped in so many ways and not just physical...best of luck for the final few weeks...sounds like you got this!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:52 AM

Good luck!

Glad I got my 10 year screening done with few weeks ago, about 8 mos over due.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Welcome news !

In an otherwise weary week of depressing news and the prospect of gray, rainy weather making planned trail runs and rides unlikely, it is great to hear you are well into treatment, still active, and have a good prognosis. Hoping you have some great Holiday hikes and/or rides!
jim
Old 11-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Hang in there. You’re in my thoughts.