Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 08:05 PM

OT: Dealing with anal C

So I had a scope done a few weeks ago and a follow up scope w/biopsy last week and was diagnosed with early stage anal cancer. Luckily they are saying treatment is chemo/radiation only, so no cutting out of parts. 6 weeks of 5 days a week radiation and chemo 1 or 2 days a week.
I am playing the waiting game at the present time and waiting on blood work and CT scan and then meet with the Team that is be doing the treatment. I am real close to Hershey Medical Center so my treatment will be handled at that premiere facility.
The DR. said that long days in the saddle for the last 35+ years may of atribulated to the C but he cant say 100% but did say he has seen his share of cyclist over the years with the same or similar diagnoses.
If it don't feel right don't wait,get it checked out sooner than later. I choose the sooner.
It has not quite set in yet but I have faith that all will turn out well.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Stay strong. Best wishes for a full recovery.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 PM

Best wishes for a full recovery and getting back on the saddle.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Tired Member

The treatments are fairly well directed now. With Hershey medical nearby, you are in good hands. Best wishes to a speedy and full recovery.

I've had two family members who went through cancer treatment several years ago. Both are doing well. From their experiences, I would say that there's no reason to panic, which seems to be a fairly common reaction to cancer. Take a reasonable amount of time making decisions for your health.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Best of luck with the treatment and recovery. Sounds like you'll be in good hands.

I've never heard of cycling causing anal ca. I suppose it's possible but there would likely be a heck of a lot of ex-pros with it, if it did cause it.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 PM

Will definitely keep you in my thoughts. I am sure you are being well advised and cared for. That does not at all take away from the fear, anxiety, and turmoil this must be causing you. You aren't alone - reach out to support groups. It helps to hear from others who have or are going through similar angst.

Stay strong.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:17 PM

Sending good vibes to you and your family. Sounds like you caught it early. Do you mind stating what made you get checked out? Symptoms and such. It may help others here that might be experiencing something similar. If not I understand. Best of luck to you. Matthew
Old 09-10-2019, 10:25 PM

Sorry to hear of the recent diagnosis. I am just a little over two years post ca so I have some idea of what you are going through. If you want to talk feel free to
PM me for my email/ phone number. Stay positive!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:59 PM

I’m glad it was caught early. The best of luck to you.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 AM

They caught it early and at stage one the chemo and radiation will kick in and kill it. You will feel like crap but that a is small price to pay to be cancer free. In two months your treatments will be done and you'll be well on the way to making a recovery. Feel free to vent, rant and inform as you wish.

there was this thread over on RBR which I found informative. Amazing how many ppl have went through cancer.
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/lo...on-347176.html
Old 09-11-2019, 05:44 AM

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

So can anyone explain why cyclists might be at a higher risk? I mean other than long hours sitting with friction, what would be the cause?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:55 AM

You’ll make it through! Best wishes
Old 09-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

So can anyone explain why cyclists might be at a higher risk? I mean other than long hours sitting with friction, what would be the cause?
I'm no onkologist (can' even spell it), but if cells are damaged and are then repairing, that is an opportunity for a cancer cell to also make itself a home during the repair stage. Maybe if there is rubbing, irritation and some skin damage?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Sending good vibes to you and your family. Sounds like you caught it early. Do you mind stating what made you get checked out? Symptoms and such. It may help others here that might be experiencing something similar. If not I understand. Best of luck to you. Matthew
What made me get checked?
In late 2017 I did a double metric century in high heat and humidity and suffered saddle sores that did not really go away totally. In mid/late 2018 I noticed a small lump on my anus and thought it was an external hemorrhoid. In January of 2019 I went to my family Dr. and he also stated it was a external roid. In july/august of 2019 my bowel habits changed significantly both in frequency and shape even tho I am on a high fiber mild protein diet so I had a scope ordered with biopsy and that is when they ordered a second scope and better biopsy.
That is where I am now. Waiting to hear from the Dr.'s to get everything rolling in the right direction.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:19 AM

Prayers and well wishes to you as you face this.