Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 10:36 AM

Anyone here use ChasingWatts?

A cycling buddy developed the https://chasingwatts.com/web site a few years ago and has also built corresponding iOS and Android mobile apps. It’s pretty slick. The idea was to put everything in one place to plan a group ride: ride, route, weather and discussion.

Anyone heard of it or use it?

Personally, group rides have fallen out of favor for me in the last year but I’ll likely start to ease back into them soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram

Last edited by m_moses; 04-21-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:46 AM

Seems like a cool site, although I wasn’t too successful in finding rides in my area.

One bit of honest feedback: I think the name is misleading. I’m not interested in racing, and I assumed that’s what the site was about.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:07 PM

Looks great! (Though I got an error trying to set up a group ride...)

I'd imagine this is similar to the RCC app but free? (I've never joined RCC due to the fee...)

Last edited by chicagorider; 04-21-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
One bit of honest feedback: I think the name is misleading. I’m not interested in racing, and I assumed that’s what the site was about.
I agree with you and the developer has been told this as well. Not sure if a change is imminent though.

Use of the software seems to be finally getting some traction here locally (Houston area) after a couple of years. The owner keeps refining the apps, adding features and he’s marketing it a lot more as well.

But for it to be useful, people have to use it. If you don’t see any rides in your area, there must not be any users. So that’s the conundrum. You’d almost need a club or shop to dedicate some time to getting it off the ground by populating it with regular rides.

He’s done this in some areas by getting race teams onboard who use it to post their training rides.

My blog and Instagram
Old 04-25-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagorider View Post
Looks great! (Though I got an error trying to set up a group ride...)

I'd imagine this is similar to the RCC app but free? (I've never joined RCC due to the fee...)

I’m not familiar with the RCC app.

One cool feature of ChasingWatts is that you can transfer route maps directly from the app to your Garmin or Wahoo.

If interested in seeing its capabilities set your location to Houston and you’ll be able to see how it’s being used.

I changed the search radius to 3000 miles in my profile and then used the map to view rides posted in the US. Almost all are in the Houston area but saw some posted in Redding CA, Stowe VT and Chicago.

My blog and Instagram