Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Caviar?

Summary: Can anyone recommend the best readily available caviar for my 10-year-old to try?

My 10-year-old daughter is a foodie. Loves food, loves cooking. Especially loves seafood. We came across a story together the other day about caviar, and now she wants to try it. It has been many years since I've had any, and I know very little about it. So what is the best readily available caviar to start her out on? And by "best" I don't necessarily mean the highest quality - it could be that, but I mostly mean the best type/version/brand to start a 10-year-old out on so she isn't immediately turned off for life. (Although, fortunately, I doubt that would happen - I mean, she really loves seafood, especially shellfish and many less popular items.)

Anyway, any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Personally, I would take her out to dinner to a fancy restaurant where can try it.

Otherwise

https://www.californiacaviar.com/

They have many different types and really try to educate the consumer. So it could be fun researching and trying some different kinds.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-26-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:54 PM

Not sure it contains enough Caviar to be called caviar but.. this is what we would consider child friendly caviar in sweden. Its what everybody eats. Tho its quite different from regular caviar. I like both but i cant eat any processed foods anymore so only the "good" stuff for me .)

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kalles-...read-80028571/
Old 11-26-2019, 01:58 PM

I don't have any recommendations, but I do remember buying it by the side of the road in Azerbaijan (Caspian seaside). And also I ran into this on youtube, she might enjoy it--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aDJFdUjH4

I don't know where you are, but in the DC area we have several Russian ethnic food markets that have a bunch of caviar at a range of prices.

Last edited by zennmotion; 11-26-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:34 PM

What is your budget and where are you located? Online delivery options are crazy expensive, so as mentioned above, try the russian store/international food market and ask for their recommendations.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 PM

Find an Eastern European or Scandinavian grocery and get some nice red caviar. I think this is generally milder (and arguably prettier) than black (and definitely easier to get acquainted with than Kalles roe!, IMO (sorry @tuscanyswe))

A nice way to have caviar that's pretty kid friendly is to make potato pancakes and top with some sour cream, chives and caviar/roe. (It sounds like your kid doesn't particularly need a kid-friendly recipe, but potato pancakes with fish eggs is always delicious for me)
Old 11-26-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post
Find an Eastern European or Scandinavian grocery and get some nice red caviar. I think this is generally milder (and arguably prettier) than black (and definitely easier to get acquainted with than Kalles roe!, IMO (sorry @tuscanyswe))

A nice way to have caviar that's pretty kid friendly is to make potato pancakes and top with some sour cream, chives and caviar/roe. (It sounds like your kid doesn't particularly need a kid-friendly recipe, but potato pancakes with fish eggs is always delicious for me)
Heck, that sounds good to me.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:51 PM
v a n i l l a

Take her to a sushi restaurant and she can try both the large and the small eggs
as a start.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:00 PM

To someone who had both Japanese salmon eggs and caviar, what's the difference in taste between the two? Because growing up in Japan I never liked fish eggs.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:54 PM
v a n i l l a

I think the experience is both taste and texture.
The sushi will deliver texture and directionally the taste for <$10
Old 11-27-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post

^This. Although, I'd simplify the pancakes and just make silver dollar sized buckwheat pancakes. Easiest way too try caviar. You can also just do some thinly sliced lightly smoked salmon, dab of cream cheese and garnish it on top with caviar. Either a cracker or thinly sliced baguette will do.

As a foodie, you should read her some of the passages from A Year in Provence about eating in France. Your mouth will water. You will next need to make a truffle omelet and eat it with a towel over your head to keep the aroma in.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:13 AM

I’d go with Joost’s suggestion of taking her to a fancy restaurant. It’s all about context...

My 10yr old princess and I occasionally go out on dates - it is awesome! My 8yr old prince is a total pig - just eats, gets food everywhere, then says, 'Let's do Dad, I'm done' as I am sipping a beer. Not quite as fun

Last edited by d_douglas; 11-27-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
^This. Although, I'd simplify the pancakes and just make silver dollar sized buckwheat pancakes. Easiest way too try caviar. You can also just do some thinly sliced lightly smoked salmon, dab of cream cheese and garnish it on top with caviar. Either a cracker or thinly sliced baguette will do.

Great idea too. Buckwheat pancakes are easy and go great with all these foods (smoked salmon too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk