Old 11-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Rapha-Rapha store
Moots-Vecchio's
ammunition-Gunsport Colorado
guns-same as above
greeting cards-Bloomin, Two Hands Paperie
hardware-McGuckins

Yes, I know all the above stuff made somewhere else but....
Old 11-26-2019, 10:44 AM

My biggest local merchant is my "neighbours"

I buy a lot of used stuff. Barely indistinguishable from new for a fraction of the price and there is no need to take more resources to make them or ship them as they are allrdy here. Win win.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:55 AM

Wine from Adobe Road.

Spirits from Stillwater, Griffo or Spirit Works.

No good local beer, or I should say no good local stouts, best two were from breweries that went out of business this year.

Meat from Beffa Springs.

Chocolate covered apricots from DeBrito's (from my youth).

... and always worthy of being on my Xmas list, a gift certificate to Black Mountain Cycles.

Last edited by donevwil; 11-26-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:16 AM

The commonwealth of PA has archaic booze laws and the PA Preferred rules have made for some great local options. Breweries, distilleries pubs etc that all float a bit outside of distribution monopolies. All kinds of choices, straight from the source
Old 11-26-2019, 12:30 PM

Via Vermont: Darn Tough on socks...they have a yearly factory sale...think it just ended actually...but I go over there every 4 or 5 years and spend a hundred bucks or so...the socks I wear that run 25 a pair in stores I get for 8 bucks a pair...buy a bunch and good to go for another half decade...

Maple Syrup...of course it's everywhere here it being Vermont...a buddy of mine does his trees...25 a gallon!

Bag Balm...about 20 years ago I bought a 5 pound bucket of it at a tractor supply store here for 20 bucks...it never goes bad...can be used on ANY part of the body...maybe even cooking!...bucket still going strong and maybe a third gone...if I had kids or grandkids would leave it to them and they could prolly pass it down as well...but alas...

Speaking of local: cured my bee sting allergy by listening to my doctor for once...he told me to try to find a beekeeper as close as possible...found one a few houses down...anyhow, the idea being these same bees hit all the plants in your hood...and you develop an immunity...so been buying this fellow's honey for 6 bucks a quart for years now...and it actually worked! No more epi pens in my saddle bag for me...

Eggs...another neighbor has chickens...so 2 bucks a carton...of course they taste much better than the store ones...and at 2 bucks per as much as I like chickens I figure he can do the work and I can relax on that one...

Last edited by cash05458; 11-26-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:40 PM
Randomhead

I'm not that big on shopping, and this area doesn't have too many stores that are to my taste, but here are a few.
W.C. Clarke's coffee. They roast their own beans.
Freeze Thaw Cycles.
Wiscoy pets.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:06 PM

Yokel from Local

Let's see...
Lots of local brews but I loves me a Boom Sauce, from Lord Hobo, a couple towns south.
Grillo Pickles, several towns away but starting to sell right in town.
A few towns east, in Beverly, is where Bob P makes some of my favorite toys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bob-parleeSM.jpg (71.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 11-26-2019, 01:18 PM
#RYFB

Every ski trip to Mammoth includes a stop for jerky at Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop. Everything's good but particularly love their elk and boar jerkies.

Many good bakeries in LA, I always have loaves from Lodge Bread in Culver City.

And the best pastrami in the country (yep, I said it) is at Langer's. Must try if you're a fan of the salted cured meats.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
Via Vermont: Darn Tough on socks...they have a yearly factory sale...think it just ended actually...but I go over there every 4 or 5 years and spend a hundred bucks or so...the socks I wear that run 25 a pair in stores I get for 8 bucks a pair...buy a bunch and good to go for another half decade...

Maple Syrup...of course it's everywhere here it being Vermont...a buddy of mine does his trees...25 a gallon!

Bag Balm...about 20 years ago I bought a 5 pound bucket of it at a tractor supply store here for 20 bucks...it never goes bad...can be used on ANY part of the body...maybe even cooking!...bucket still going strong and maybe a third gone...if I had kids or grandkids would leave it to them and they could prolly pass it down as well...but alas...

Speaking of local: cured my bee sting allergy by listening to my doctor for once...he told me to try to find a beekeeper as close as possible...found one a few houses down...anyhow, the idea being these same bees hit all the plants in your hood...and you develop an immunity...so been buying this fellow's honey for 6 bucks a quart for years now...and it actually worked! No more epi pens in my saddle bag for me...

Eggs...another neighbor has chickens...so 2 bucks a carton...of course they taste much better than the store ones...and at 2 bucks per as much as I like chickens I figure he can do the work and I can relax on that one...
2nd that on Bag Balm, all round useful product, not sure about cooking with it
Old 11-27-2019, 12:53 PM

Speaking of bread, there was a bike shop next door not too many years ago, Bike Religion is now gone and the yeasty smell of fresh baked bread was too much to resist. Great pastries.
http://www.cestsibonnb.com/

I like to go to Adrenaline to buy an inner tube just to look at the steel Colnago for sale or all the Ti frames on the wall. One of the few, or only local place I trust to do anything to my steel frames. They speak Campagnolo as well.
https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...ategoryID=2121
Old 11-27-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
What are some of the great things that you still buy locally?
Now that we live in NC, furniture and it is made in NC. We are about to order custom pieces from https://www.charlestonforge.com/. We toured the factory.....everything sourced in NC.

Oooops, our bedroom furniture was crafted by the Amish in OH. But we did purchase from a local retailer.

God, I hope no one posts a link about abuses at NC furniture manufacturers.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:16 PM

Bit of a dredge, but man, supporting local businesses can be expensive. Gotta do it though! I just paid $176 after tax for two GP5000s. Feel like a total fool paying that much knowing how much I can get them for online, but I had a blow out and needed something before the weekend. They're also sold out most places in 28c, but Velo Pasadena had loads of them.

In an effort to support other local businesses, we recently cancelled Amazon Prime as we rarely used it. We also became members at our fantastic local DVD/Blu-Ray rental shop, Vidéothèque. Movie rentals are purchased in packages. We started off with ten for $35. Which actually ends up being cheaper than Amazon film rentals and much better quality.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:22 PM

3dfuel.com is local to me, and a great bunch of folks work there to make quality 3D printer filament here in the US.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:28 PM
SageOfMilwaukee