Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2021, 04:16 AM

Veloce 10 speed ergo shifter cable failure

My Campy Veloce 10 Speed rear shift cable lasted all of 8 months and 2300 miles. The wire strands broke apart inside the ergo shifter mechanism. It was not an install issue as the cable came pre-installed in the ergo shifter from the factory.

Can someone help me find out why it failed so early?

Is the Veloce junk and I should look for a nice used Record 10 speed ergo shifter?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcolombiano View Post
My Campy Veloce 10 Speed rear shift cable lasted all of 8 months and 2300 miles. The wire strands broke apart inside the ergo shifter mechanism. It was not an install issue as the cable came pre-installed in the ergo shifter from the factory.

Can someone help me find out why it failed so early?

Is the Veloce junk and I should look for a nice used Record 10 speed ergo shifter?

Thanks.
What type 'Veloce? What year? 2009/2010 UltraShift Gumby shape? 2007/8 'Escape' type? 2006 and older 10s?
Regardless, the take-up 'spool', the body and a lot of the shifter innards are the same as those levers above it. Centaur, Chorus, Record..even SuperRecord if 2009/10 lever. The spool part number is a 'RE' or 'SR' number, same as Record, SR.

BUT, I suspect it's perhaps the ferrule used(if 2008 and older..NO der housing Ferrule for 2009+ levers), whether or not it was seated in the lever, and then the routing..Behind the handlebars is more better, makes for a smoother routing/bend.

I'd also put a bit of grease where the ferrule lives(if there is one) or where the cable rides on the lever(if 2009+ type)..install a new one and go ride.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What type 'Veloce? What year? 2009/2010 UltraShift Gumby shape? 2007/8 'Escape' type? 2006 and older 10s?
Regardless, the take-up 'spool', the body and a lot of the shifter innards are the same as those levers above it. Centaur, Chorus, Record..even SuperRecord if 2009/10 lever. The spool part number is a 'RE' or 'SR' number, same as Record, SR.

BUT, I suspect it's perhaps the ferrule used(if 2008 and older..NO der housing Ferrule for 2009+ levers), whether or not it was seated in the lever, and then the routing..Behind the handlebars is more better, makes for a smoother routing/bend.

I'd also put a bit of grease where the ferrule lives(if there is one) or where the cable rides on the lever(if 2009+ type)..install a new one and go ride.
I have the latest version with the droopy shift lever. I had many of the older version(s).