Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Old 12-09-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
57cm Zunow Hummingbird, now bidding at $255: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zunow-Hummi...s/193787431068.
Curious to see sale price on this. Frame looks to be in pretty good shape.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:54 PM
cnighbor2

WOW Schwinn Paramount by Waterford OS 60cm Road Bike - $2,095 (Wenatchee)

Schwinn Paramount by Waterford OS 60cm Road Bike - $2,095 (Wenatchee)
This is a top of the line for 1992, Schwinn Paramount road bike. This is a true Waterford built Schwinn, and is a rare and awesome bike. I purchased the frame from Schwinn in 1992 and outfitted it with the 1990's era components listed below. The frame is lugged True Temper OS custom double-butted tubing with Shimano dropouts on the front and rear. Paramount front fork. Original Paramount custom paint and decals in excellent condition. Frame color is a combination blue velvet gas (iridescent purple) and intense red. Only blemish is a minor ding on the right side of the down-tube caused by the front brake swinging into the tube (see photos). I've touched up the paint here, but it is not an exact match.

The bike was built using 7 speed drivetrain components available in the early 1990's. Because available Campy index shifter systems of this era were flawed, a Suntour Superbe rear derailleur & downtube shifters were installed (the front uses a Chorus derailleur). The rear derailleur is capable of shifting an 8 speed rear cog if a different rear wheel is used. The spacing on the rear would also allow upgrade to a 8, 9 or 10 speed drivetrain if desired.

Included with the bike an original Paramount catalog from 1992. I'll also throw in a Paramount cyclometer if desired.

Serial Number 600EMWF9204
600: 600mm or 60 cm
E: fork steerer size (consistent w/frame size)
M: True Temper OS
W: Waterford, Schwinn factory made
F: April
92: 1992
04: 4rth frame made

Components:
Rear der. & shifters: Suntour Superbe Pro
Front der.: Campy Chorus
Crankset: Campy C Record 175mm w/53-42 chainrings
BB: Campy Chorus
Brakes: Campy Chorus calipers w/Record levers
Headset: Paramount by Stronglight
Seatpost: Campy Super Record
Wheelset: Campy Record hubs newly rebuilt with Alex rims and dt spokes, Regina extra 7 speed (12-21) freewheel
Tires: new Continental Ultra Sport
Stem/bars: Modolo with newly installed Vetta cork tape
Seat: Selle San Marco Squadra HDP

Feel free to call with any questions. If the ad is currently listed on Craigslist, the bike is still for sale. $2,095.00 cash
https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/bik...228026002.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schwinn_paramount_60cm_2001a.jpg (124.7 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg schwinn_paramount_60cm_2001b.jpg (115.8 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg schwinn_paramount_60cm_2001c.jpg (68.2 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg schwinn_paramount_60cm_2001e.jpg (60.0 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg schwinn_paramount_60cm_2001d.jpg (77.0 KB, 480 views)

Last edited by cnighbor1; 12-09-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
Custom Steve Rex Cycles 58cm Frame Only with S&S Couplers - $800 (berkeley)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
make / manufacturer: Steve Rex
Custom Steve Rex Cycles (from Sacramento) 58cm road/travel bike frame. Frame only, with S&S couplers. Has 57cm seattube and 52cm toptube (slanted). Fillet brazed tubing with Ritchey vertical dropouts. Excellent design and quality frame. Ideal for 5'11" to 6'1" rider.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop...232491169.html
This one's been posted before. It's a gorgeous bike, but the head tube is insanely tall (~250mm ish). Not going to fit most people.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:21 PM

U sure is a zunow??? I dont see a single engraving in that frame.

Maybe thats why the numbers are really low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Old 12-09-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
U sure is a zunow??? I dont see a single engraving in that frame.

Maybe thats why the numbers are really low.
Lower level model, but yes, it has em at the top of the seat stays.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:57 PM

Downtube shifters on headtube BRAXTON

First time I've seen this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143834053092
Old 12-09-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
i'm always looking for these. never come up in my size. sometimes they sell for $400 sometimes for $1k regardless of condition. can't wrap my brain around it.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
First time I've seen this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143834053092
Very cool. Those are some very interesting handmade racks too.

More about this framebuilder:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Braxton_Sam.htm

Quote:
Sam Braxton of Missoula, Montana, an avid outdoorsman whose pursuits included skiing, mountaineering and cycling, began his bicycle career in 1969 when he got a job assembling and repairing bicycles for a local sporting goods shop. The job was short-lived, but Sam continued working from his home and opened Braxton Bike Shop in 1970 with the help of his wife, Shirley, and their sons Bart and Dalt.

Sam took an Eisentraut course and began building frames in 1974; however, he credited much of his later success to the time he spent with Jack and Norm Taylor, and often said it was Norm who taught him how to apply heat and braze correctly. The Taylor influence is readily apparent in Braxton's frames, from the reversed placement of the rear brake on early models to the custom fabricated and brazed on racks and the gothic font Sam used for his decals. A great many of Braxton's expedition touring bikes were styled in the mold of the Taylor "Rough Stuff" model, a style Sam came to call the Combie for its ability to function well on all surfaces.

Braxton Bike Shop thrived as a full service sales and repair business and Sam's framebuilding career got a great boost from the shop's reputation as "an oasis for the cyclotourist" among touring cyclists associated with the Bikecentennial organization (now Adventure Cycling) headquartered in Missoula. Others in the industry regarded him both as a guru of cycling knowledge and a curmudgeon with deeply set opinions - more than a few colleagues recall almost coming to blows with Sam about one thing or another, before forming a friendship with him. Braxton passed away in 1988 after a short battle with cancer, having built approximately 580 frames; at the time of his death, he had a 3 year backlog of frame orders.

Last edited by fiamme red; 12-09-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:09 PM

That Paramount made my eyes bleed.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Very cool. Those are some very interesting handmade racks too.

More about this framebuilder:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Braxton_Sam.htm
That's really cool - thank you for sharing - did you zoom in on the typed note? Quite interesting to read..

Old 12-09-2020, 11:38 PM

Nice Serotta Colorado Rapid Tour on TheProsCloset - 55cm TT:

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ad-bike-medium

Not exactly sale of the century at $1400ish, but looks to have a nice early Chorus 11 group on it and decent wheels - one could do much worse.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:45 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

Amazing that all it takes to ruin the look of a bike is to have the nose of the saddle tipped up a few degrees.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That's really cool - thank you for sharing - did you zoom in on the typed note? Quite interesting to read..

Thank you for pointing that out. That is a wonderful letter to the customer.

"If he could ever standardize his frames and carriers he could produce ever so many more, but the uniqueness of his workmanship is his creativity."

I found this posted on the CR list:

Quote:
I don’t specifically remember this bike, as I was just a part-timer in 1984; Sam’s elder son Bart was still there, finishing pharmacy school but handling many of the custom bike duties in the shop like painting. I may have reassembled it, though I feel like I’d have remembered that lurid purple Imron (which I love!). The letter is classic Shirl, who often had to smooth ruffled feathers because Sam was always, always behind and had an uncanny knack for offending people when he encountered an opinion different from his own.

Lots of Sam’s signature loaded touring tricks here. I built countless pairs of those Super Champion 58s on Phil hubs, 48 spoke 4x rear and 40 spoke 3x front, a design that allowed the rider to carry just one length of spare spoke as shown on the build sheet. The 27” size was a nod to rural America, where 700c touring tires were rare and a 27” tire and schraeder tube could be had in most small shops. Wheelsmith adopted the design as their signature prebuilt touring wheel in the mid- to late ‘80s, I recall. The rear brake on the inside of the seat stays was done partly to increase power and reduce pads slipping off the rim, a Harry Havnoonian touch in the later ‘80s. It had the added benefit of allowing brake adjustments without removing the rear panniers. Not sure why this bike didn’t have cantilevers, as bikes earlier and later than this did. The shifters on the head tube were also surprisingly common; Sam loved Mafac guidonnet brake levers and wasn’t a huge bar-end shifter fan because he thought it quite a reach on a bike with a heavily loaded front end. Shifters on the head tube and guidonnet brake levers allow the rider to keep their hands up near the stem and not move about too much. Shorter cable runs, too, so perhaps a bit better shifting feel at the lever? Last but not least, brazed on rear racks often wrapped the seat tube for both stability and a form of portage handle, convenient for lugging about and lifting a fully loaded bike.

I love this bike. It’s my size. I’d swap out the Biopace chainrings, which certainly weren’t stock, but it’s basically perfect other than than. The price is higher than his bikes usually command, but it’s not ridiculous. I sold a bare road frame, one I’d scooped up on eBay 15+ years ago even though it was too small for me, for more than this a few years back to someone who wouldn’t take no for an answer when I said I wasn’t interested in selling. I’m watching, and thinking about throwing an offer. It’s fantastic and cool, and in amazing shape. If one of you beats me to it, then well-won!

Derek Vandeberg

Last edited by fiamme red; 12-10-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Nice Serotta Colorado Rapid Tour on TheProsCloset - 55cm TT:

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ad-bike-medium

Not exactly sale of the century at $1400ish, but looks to have a nice early Chorus 11 group on it and decent wheels - one could do much worse.
Very nice! I wonder what clearance it has for tires and fenders.

Is that a threaded fork with a threadless adapter?

I really like the seat cluster.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Very nice! I wonder what clearance it has for tires and fenders.
Looks like short reach brakes with pads farthest out. I would expect room for 30mm, maybe 25 with fenders.