Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM

Pearls Before Swine

Today's comic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cyclist2.jpg (62.1 KB, 516 views)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:02 AM

Reminds me how much I dislike Pastis.

No need to pour gasoline on a raging fire.

Nineteen cyclists dead in NYC already this year...
Old 08-17-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Reminds me how much I dislike Pastis.

No need to pour gasoline on a raging fire.

Nineteen cyclists dead in NYC already this year...
well said
Old 08-17-2019, 10:44 AM

can't wait for Trump to re-tweet that cartoon

we're next.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Member?

Thumbs down

There is enough hate going around. I certainly don't want to see it in the funny pages.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:26 PM

It's Out There, The Toon And The People It Mocks

Art imitates life. Comedy exposes an inconvenient truth and finds humor in it.

There was even a guy on this board that was a fan of following drivers to their homes and arguing with them. His last escalation involved following a woman drive home and arguing with her husband in their driveway.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Art imitates life. Comedy exposes an inconvenient truth and finds humor in it.

There was even a guy on this board that was a fan of following drivers to their homes and arguing with them. His last escalation involved following a woman drive home and arguing with her husband in their driveway.
Of course it does, but what exactly is this mocking? And what exactly is the take-away message?

The cyclist is shown to be in cycling gear, even not on a bike, thus suggesting that he's some sort of an "other". That he suggests an outrageous (and unlawful) response takes the issue away from accidental swerving and into the territory of "look at how unreasonable these misfits are". The original offense is trivialized, and the cartoonist goes out of his way to set up a strawman.

Just lazy, cynical, and misanthropic.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Of course it does, but what exactly is this mocking? And what exactly is the take-away message?

The cyclist is shown to be in cycling gear, even not on a bike, thus suggesting that he's some sort of an "other". That he suggests an outrageous (and unlawful) response takes the issue away from accidental swerving and into the territory of "look at how unreasonable these misfits are". The original offense is trivialized, and the cartoonist goes out of his way to set up a strawman.

Read my post, he's not mocking all cyclist, he's mocking a zealot and again, per my post, they are among us.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Read my post, he's not mocking all cyclist, he's mocking a zealot and again, per my post, they are among us.
I did read your post. Except in this cartoon strip, that zealot is representative of all cyclists. There's only one cyclist in the strip, and his name is Jeff (the person portrayed).

Jeff is a caricature for all cyclists. Any nuances about mocking a small minority of the group is lost, as the presumption is that this is how all of the group behaves
Old 08-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:

<like>
Old 08-17-2019, 02:27 PM

Nope

Quote:
I did read your post. Except in this cartoon strip, that zealot is representative of all cyclists. There's only one cyclist in the strip, and his name is Jeff (the person portrayed).

Jeff is a caricature for all cyclists. Any nuances about mocking a small minority of the group is lost, as the presumption is that this is how all of the group behaves
No, I think you're not giving people enough credit. To your point there are some small minded people, sure, but they aren't the majority of your peers.

We can indeed joke about Cowboys fans and still know that they "all" aren't whiners

I think the internet has given small voices a bigger audience than they deserve and the ability for like minded individuals to congregate has had some bad consequences.

Mature people can differentiate a person from a cartoon caricature and the context for which it's applied.

For anyone thinking or doing harm to a cyclist because of a cartoon, it isn't the fault of the cartoon, that person has issues.

You'll have more impact on the image of a cyclist where you are by how you interact with people way more than a cartoon.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:32 PM

The cartoon is so far off the mark! Jeff The Cyclist would NEVER carry a lock on his bike because its weight might cost him a win in the town line sprint.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM

O.m.g!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
The cartoon is so far off the mark! Jeff The Cyclist would NEVER carry a lock on his bike because its weight might cost him a win in the town line sprint.
Something is wrong with both of us because I actually thought the same thing, Ha!
Old 08-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Not to be a stickler for details but his name is Jef, he dropped the second 'f' to save weight.

Now I am off to play a baseball game with a beagle in centerfield since I saw it in the COMICS
Old 08-17-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
Not to be a stickler for details but his name is Jef, he dropped the second 'f' to save weight.

Now I am off to play a baseball game with a beagle in centerfield since I saw it in the COMICS
Beat me to it. Jef the Cyclist. A friendly poke at the creator of Frazz, Jef Mallett. https://www.stand-magazine.com/the-a...or-jef-mallet/