Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
I'm by no means whatsover a coffee guy but we have had a cultish espresso machine for 31 years. Until lately I've just been the espresso machine admin at our house but have now started having a cappuccino occasionally. Our old machine is now at our second home and has been rebuilt and is going strong. When my wife retired in late March I bought her a new red one to celebrate. Olympia Express Cremina:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old fashioned, molto pricey, etc., but dang easy to make a great cappuccino or espresso.
and looks amazing to boot
Old 10-11-2018, 09:38 AM

For those curious about latte art. Its half steaming quality and half technique. your steam wand is important, both in its ability to deliver steam, and the way its directed and such. not all steam wands are equal. but the common is to oversteam milk, both adding too much air, and going too long for too hot of milk. add less air and pull the pitcher as soon as its a bit too hot to handle. and be sure not to leave the steam wand at the surface too long unless you like the fluffy dry type of cappuccinos.

i used to be pretty good

i cant find any pics so ill leave this
[IMG]Drip Drip by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
gotcha. and by incredibly easy to get perfect milk, i presume that it was almost "second nature" and didn't require too steep a learning curve.

the other thing i'm considering is to pay for lessons on steaming and latte art

i mean, eff it, i'm already paying lessons on how to ride a MTB properly; surely doing a latte art would have greater utility

how did you learn to do latte art? i surmise from one of your previous posts that you are a barrister, but were you also a barista?

if it comes down to expensive machine makes foaming consistent milk easy, well, again, eff it, i might just bite the bullet, though I think i'll likely buy used

------------------------------------------

speaking of buying used, any particularly good machines to get, where i can buy at say 3-5 years used, skip the depreciation, and still get 20 years out of it?
I can't comment on latte art cause that really takes skill/practice, but in terms of getting perfectly steamed milk, it was almost second nature. Just followed general guidelines you can see on youtube, get some air incorporated and stretch it to temp, really easy and fast. But gain, very expensive machine (to me, anyway). I think current prices here in Canada are about $2400.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM

KitchenAid pro grinder - tecnivorm moccamaster which diedafter 7 years - started french pressing and haven't looked back.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM

La Pavoni Professional + Faema Family

Bought the La Pavoni in Tuscany (San Gimignano) in 2000 and hauled it back in my suitcase.
Pretty much used daily since and probably one of the best purchase I've ever made.

Got the grinder a few years after here in the US.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Bought the La Pavoni in Tuscany (San Gimignano) in 2000 and hauled it back in my suitcase.
Pretty much used daily since and probably one of the best purchase I've ever made.

Got the grinder a few years after here in the US.

How is temperature consistency? and how does the steam wand work?
I miss working a lever machine and have considered one for home, but I want to have a reliable steam wand and capable boiler for my wife's Mochas as well.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
PegoNagos

I have had a Gaggia Classic at my office for the last 6 years. Currently eyeing a Expobar Office Lever to replace it.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
Baby steps.

When we first started dating. I bought her a bike. A hybrid. A Giant Liv pink thing. She started riding more and more and now loves riding and has two road bikes (including a custom steel lugged Goodrich).

When we started living together, she was massively unpersuaded that my espresso machine was anything other than a nuisance. Cappuccino with latte art delivered while she was still in bed got her to give it a chance. Now she is asking me if I don’t need a new grinder for my birthday.

She has become more of a coffee snob while away from home than I am.

Hmmm. I think I’m out of luck. Bought her the demo Orbea Orca with Di2 she rode while on holiday a number of years ago. Never rides it. Afraid of cars.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Venturi baby....

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 11.37.50 AM.jpg (24.2 KB, 321 views)
Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM

Old 10-11-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
I'm by no means whatsover a coffee guy but we have had a cultish espresso machine for 31 years. Until lately I've just been the espresso machine admin at our house but have now started having a cappuccino occasionally. Our old machine is now at our second home and has been rebuilt and is going strong. When my wife retired in late March I bought her a new red one to celebrate. Olympia Express Cremina:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old fashioned, molto pricey, etc., but dang easy to make a great cappuccino or espresso.
I love these Creminas. The kind of machine that's easy to work on yourself.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
man we’ve planned entire family outings multiple times around a local roaster or bar.
you, sir have your priorities in order!

When we drive from the bay area to Seattle, we map the route based on coffee.
It's truly a coffee desert between here and there, with surprisingly few oases along the way.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
Same situation. I had had an ECM Giotto that predated my wife. It started to give up the ghost after 15 years of service. When I got a new job 2-1/2 years ago and started day dreaming about machines, my wife said “clearly the slayer is ridiculous, but think about how many cappuccino you make for me, get the la marzocco”.

Cheers to our wives!
well, the slayer is really a linea at heart. It's just that one's wrapped in Prada, the other in, well, Carhart...

check out some of the refurbs Paul does @ cafelatco.

I WILL own something like this one day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVmUYrZn...n-by=cafelatco

ps. speaking of cafelat. When it comes time to replace your grouphead gasket, get one of his silicon ones. He doesn't make one to fit my Diva (damn those crazy French) but he makes them for several flavors of the E61.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I love these Creminas. The kind of machine that's easy to work on yourself.
Yes, about 8 years ago I rebuilt our 1987 Cremina with Orphan Espresso afermarket parts and it worked really well until it started seeping a little water this summer. I just this week ordered a rebuild kit from the official US distributor (Cerini Coffee in the Bronx). I'll spend a couple hours on a rainy day and it'll be good for a long while.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:40 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
veggieburger
Hah! Fancy!.....mine is plastic.

I have a Starbucks (Saeco) Barista machine as well, plus a couple French presses....but the go to is the melitta single serve cone....just too fast and easy.

I would love to get a new machine and such, but my wife does not drink coffee and is allergic to caffeine....I am certain that warrants a blue tag to hang in her car...

Love the Marzocco Linea...I toured their USA headquarters a couple years ago....lots of cool toys. Their "café" at KEXP at the Seattle Center is pretty cool too. They feature a new roaster each month:http://www.lamarzoccousa.com/locations/

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso