Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 10-24-2018, 04:03 PM

Palm soreness

Somewhere around mid summer after riding my new road bike all summer (got a fit) my palms started to get sore around the areas that they contact the hoods. Adjusted fit a little shorter and rose the hoods up a bit more. None of this has helped, not sure what is going on. Previous roadie had 6700, this is rival 22. I've had sram bikes before without the same problem.

Levers are Rival 22, bike is emonda alr.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post
Somewhere around mid summer after riding my new road bike all summer (got a fit) my palms started to get sore around the areas that they contact the hoods. Adjusted fit a little shorter and rose the hoods up a bit more. None of this has helped, not sure what is going on. Previous roadie had 6700, this is rival 22. I've had sram bikes before without the same problem.

Levers are Rival 22, bike is emonda alr.
Is your seat level or slightly nose-up? If it is nose down, you could be supporting more of your body weight with your arms and using your arms to keep yourself from sliding forward on the seat. That could increase the pressure on your hands.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:08 PM

Try some gloves with more padding or gel padding in the areas you are having problems.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Is your seat level or slightly nose-up? If it is nose down, you could be supporting more of your body weight with your arms and using your arms to keep yourself from sliding forward on the seat. That could increase the pressure on your hands.
Using an smp so it's tricky to figure out!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:13 PM

On SMP's, put a level from the top of the back of the saddle to the front (actually the high point before it swoops down). Level is level. If you have a level app on your phone you can put that on a straight-edge laid out like said and it will give you a plus or minus number of degrees it is tilted. Of course, make sure the bike is level to begin with (in other words just make sure that if the front tire is on the ground/ floor that the back tire is too).
Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 PM

SMP Blaster has a pretty pronounced scoop in the rear for hip rotation. Adjusted things to spec then some more for comfort, 45 miles same palm soreness. Gonna pay some more attention to tire pressure maybe? Never had an issue on my last bike, maybe this is stiffer.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:48 PM

As @djg21 said above, I would tend to believe it is something with the saddle that is forcing you more forward and resting on your palms. Either the saddle is not correctly level or the style of saddle is not agreeing with you and forcing you into a different position. Did you adjust the saddle height more than it was before? I would be looking there instead of tire pressure etc.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:16 PM

I checked saddle height after and it was a lil lower than the fit measures. Gonna just put a different saddle on there and see how things go. I too am starting to think the saddle is the culprit, just weird cause my saddle issues were always sit bone related vs causing some other fit problems.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post
I checked saddle height after and it was a lil lower than the fit measures. Gonna just put a different saddle on there and see how things go. I too am starting to think the saddle is the culprit, just weird cause my saddle issues were always sit bone related vs causing some other fit problems.
A fit puts you in a good starting place. It is not the be all and end all. Forget the fit for a minute. Was your saddle raised higher than it was before the fit? Do you have a lot of drop to the bars? More than you did before the fit?

Which begs a questions: if you paid to be fit, why aren’t you going back to the person who did the fit?
Old 11-06-2018, 03:54 PM

Fit was from the ground up, new bike. I went back adjusted some stuff but still had the soreness and was just hive minding if I missed something simple. I have some time on my hands and since it's about 50 miles per adjustment it's easier to ask around, ya know.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:59 PM

i also had something like this happen. self diagnosed myself with some type of carpal tunnel. you can look up a ton of physical therapy exercises to remedy this. trick is you have to stick with the program. also made the saddle level and started to do a ton of core work. body position is a huge factor on the bike. did your fitter go over this with you? gotta keep those elbows bent at around 15 to 20 degrees with a semi arched back (inwards towards the headset) itll feel super weird at first but give it a month and youll realize the difference in power. and lastly, if i know im headed out on a 100+ i will wear padded gloves.