Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #376  
Old 03-16-2019, 06:38 PM
ColnagoC59 ColnagoC59 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 87
at home i use a $25 four pot coffee machine. What makes it work is Kenyan AA coffee beans. I also have an italian espresso pot i use on the stove. If I go out I have a favorite coffee bar I pass on my rides that makes a great Cortado.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 04-28-2019, 11:46 AM
echappist echappist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,570
A friend gave my a pack of really good coffee; too bad it's a light roast, which makes it really hard to work with, when it comes to espresso

Suggestions on how else I could brew this? Adjust the grind more coarse than usual?
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 04-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Ken Robb Ken Robb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: La Jolla, Ca.
Posts: 14,071
I am a recent convert to Keurig. My coffee maker died and my burr grinder was acting up so I took it as a sign from heaven that it was time to try Keurig. I figured I'd buy it at COSTCO so if I didn't like it I could return it with no problem. So far I find COSTCO Northwoods Bold, Peet's Major Dickason, and Starbucks Pike Place pods acceptable. I love how fast I can get my first cup (even allowing for the machine to warm up) and my second cup is almost instantaneous. People who are really in a hurry can set the timer to start the warm-up cycle just before they get up. I also like being able to have one blend first and a different one for the next cup. I haven't tried using it for espresso and other "trick" brews.

The machine came with a reusable pod that I can fill with whatever custom grind I might choose. Have any of you tried that? It seems like too much trouble to me compared to the ease of regular pods.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 04-28-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 04-28-2019, 02:13 PM
stackie stackie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,006
Actually better to tighten the grind and let the shot go slowly. I’ve had some beautiful shots from Ethiopian coffees that were roasted light as they should be. Notes of blueberry pie. Maybe try and drag the shot time out to 50 seconds. Can bring those fruit and floral notes out.

Jon
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 04-30-2019, 04:00 PM
echappist echappist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Actually better to tighten the grind and let the shot go slowly. I’ve had some beautiful shots from Ethiopian coffees that were roasted light as they should be. Notes of blueberry pie. Maybe try and drag the shot time out to 50 seconds. Can bring those fruit and floral notes out.

Jon

thanks for the suggestion; it def did mellow out the coffee

there seems to be a fine line between too acidic and brightness
Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 AM
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NorCal
Posts: 937
I have been sticking with Central American beans with Guatemala being my favorite. I might need to try some African beans for my next roasting batch...
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 AM
benb benb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bedford, MA
Posts: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I am a recent convert to Keurig. My coffee maker died and my burr grinder was acting up so I took it as a sign from heaven that it was time to try Keurig. I figured I'd buy it at COSTCO so if I didn't like it I could return it with no problem. So far I find COSTCO Northwoods Bold, Peet's Major Dickason, and Starbucks Pike Place pods acceptable. I love how fast I can get my first cup (even allowing for the machine to warm up) and my second cup is almost instantaneous. People who are really in a hurry can set the timer to start the warm-up cycle just before they get up. I also like being able to have one blend first and a different one for the next cup. I haven't tried using it for espresso and other "trick" brews.

The machine came with a reusable pod that I can fill with whatever custom grind I might choose. Have any of you tried that? It seems like too much trouble to me compared to the ease of regular pods.
Please do try the reusable pod since K-Cups are an environmental catastrophe.
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 AM
fmradio516 fmradio516 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
please do try the reusable pod since k-cups are an environmental catastrophe.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:28 AM
unterhausen unterhausen is offline
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,380
we use compostable k-cups. Okay, I don't, but everyone else in the household does. I use an aeropress. The only problem with compostable k-cups is that they need to go to an industrial composting place because backyard compost piles don't get hot enough. Learned that lesson the hard way with compostable compost bags.
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 05-03-2019, 06:28 AM
skiezo skiezo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 581
I got a 30 ounce chemex a few weeks ago and have been running panama geisha through it. Love the coffee and my local roaster has a stock of it that is fairly reasonably priced. Americas for the chemex and africans for the drip maker.
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Safepants's Avatar
Safepants Safepants is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 43
Using a V60 mostly for daily drop coffee. I have a Breville Infuser espresso machine which is slightly above entry level, but hard to dial in with my Baratza Encore grinder. It depends on the beans. Looking to upgrade down the road but at the moment want to spend that money on bikes instead haha.

Does anyone home roast?
My friend made me a flour sifter/heat gun roaster which he gifted to me after he upgraded to a proper micro test batch roaster.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM
jh_on_the_cape jh_on_the_cape is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,858
If you could get any ONE home countertop setup available, what would you get? Money no object, but should be available for purchase online and fit on your countertop...

like the 'if you could get only one bike' discussion...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing
I don't think I could ever have the words "Soft Machine" so close to my junk.
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 06-04-2019, 12:49 PM
echappist echappist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,570
btwn an Eureka Mignon Specialita (55 mm burrs, rather fast grinding speed) vs Eureka Club E (60 mm burrs, slow grinding speed), which would you pick?

I also don't see a lot of reviews for the latter. Thoughts?

THe former would be purchased from the EU and cost ~$475 all said and done; latter would be about $100 more

Last edited by echappist; 06-04-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 06-04-2019, 12:55 PM
oldguy00 oldguy00 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,614
Anyone here with a nice espresso setup but only (or mostly) drinking decaf??

High BP runs in my family, and despite being in good shape, training 10-15 hours per week swim/bike/run, my BP was creeping up around 145 / 90.

I've cut out caffeine and that has lowered it a bit. Interested in getting a nice setup again, but not sure what the quality is like of decaf beans??

Thx!
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 PM
echappist echappist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Anyone here with a nice espresso setup but only (or mostly) drinking decaf??

High BP runs in my family, and despite being in good shape, training 10-15 hours per week swim/bike/run, my BP was creeping up around 145 / 90.

I've cut out caffeine and that has lowered it a bit. Interested in getting a nice setup again, but not sure what the quality is like of decaf beans??

Thx!
they are mostly hit or miss

seek out places that allow you to buy by the ounce (or at least by the quarter pound). That's the only way to guarantee freshness. Where are you located? I have suggestions if you live in the mid-Atlantics.

Personally need to find another shop that sells decaf by the ounce, as I'll be moving
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.