Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cycling Independent
...braze-ons for zip-tying cable housing are a new look for a Serotta
Personally, when I spend more than any other titanium offering out there, I like to ensure that my zip ties are matched to my frame. Also, nothing conveys a high-quality build like a cleanly snipped zip tie.

But Ben! Ben, Ben, BEN!
Old 06-10-2022, 09:23 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
..... I like to ensure that my zip ties are matched to my frame. Also, nothing conveys a high-quality build like a cleanly snipped zip tie.....
school me on the need for zip ties.....is this cuz the housing is for hydraulic rather than cables? Do other builders route them internally?

thx
Old 06-10-2022, 10:19 AM

It’s super useful for brake bleeds. Pull off the caliper and let it hang instead of trying to tilt the frame set way up in the air. It’s actually a pretty well thought out detail.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Personally, when I spend more than any other titanium offering out there, I like to ensure that my zip ties are matched to my frame. Also, nothing conveys a high-quality build like a cleanly snipped zip tie.

But Ben! Ben, Ben, BEN!
Sure, internal cable routing looks clean and has become a hallmark of an expensive, halo level build but why? Added complications, noise, lack of easy serviceability, added welding heat, are all downsides to internally routed lines.

The zip tie guides are quiet, make brakes easy to install, and make servicing and diagnosing problems super simple.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but assigning external zip tie guides a low status is misguided.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:34 AM

I’ve no issues with external routing or the zip ties. I do have an issue with that bloody downtube decal though. $10k and I’m getting a sticker? Come on! At that price I’d expect some level of etching or anodizing or whatever.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:48 AM

Zip ties are atrocious, couldn't imagine using such on anything other than a BSO. Nicely anodized aluminum cable clips are readily available and cost almost nothing.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:14 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
At that kind of value at some point you start to rationalize a separate insurance policy against theft I guess?
I'd love to see the Paceline gang go at ^^^this topic in a separate thread, 'cuz it's definitely crossed my mind more than a few times...and I don't even own any $8k frames!

Quote:
I like to ensure that my zip ties are matched to my frame. Also, nothing conveys a high-quality build like a cleanly snipped zip tie.
Total thread drift: When I was first learning to be a recording engineer one of my mentors showed me something that has stuck with me for >40 years. We were bundling cable runs inside surface-mount raceway using zip ties, and after I had zipped & clipped three or four ties he came over to spotcheck my work...then, shaking his head, took his diagonal cutters and clipped off some of my work. "The zip ties need to all be facing the same direction" he explained.

"Why?" I asked.

He says "Because it shows you care."
Old 06-10-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post

So about perceived value...it reminds me of my son. He is getting into carpentry and honestly is getting pretty good at it. He puts his heart into every piece he builds, but he also can't bring his prices down based on economies of scale. His pieces are well crafted but that's because he takes forever to get it right. He's not a pro. I ask him how much he's going to sell a little bedside table for and he tells me $250 because that's what its worth to him...and he's not a pro so part of his perceived value is based on his hard work to get it right. But he doesn't get that the random person is going to compare his table to one that can be purchased online for $75. That's the harsh fact until his market knows what he's all about. He knows what he's all about, but other than our neighbors, no one else does.
If you lived closer and shipping, I'd be all over having someone with skill build me a set of night stands for $250 each, I am looking at nearly double that for off the shelf ones. But, maybe that says more about what is important to me vs other people.

And on the point of spending money on a bike vs vacation - I used getting my SV as an excuse to go to Portland. Combined both cost more than $15K USD, but have a great bike and memories from the trip.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:48 PM

looks like the original link is no good?
Old 06-10-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
looks like the original link is no good?
Yes, they scrapped that one. New website is https://serotta.com/.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:28 PM

anyone know who is making the current Serotta F9 fork?
Old 06-10-2022, 09:41 PM

Padraig, whom I like, comes off as a fan boy in the “review”. “Clears 38’s”, so 2018. The new offering is not unsimilar to the original Ritchey Outback that had small sales and was replaced with V2, more of an adventure bike with big clearance. Good luck, Ben.