Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2022, 12:18 PM

Caliper Brake mounting and thick Carbon forks

So I'm mounting up some new R8000 calipers on my 2014 Madone, and the included recessed caliper mounting nuts are WAY too short, both front and rear.

I have a stache of mounting nuts here, so I've got the rear sorted... but WHERE besides ONE eBay seller can I find a 40mm (~35-36mm shaft) caliper mounting nut??

Currently I've robbed the nut from a different bike, but that's less than ideal, since I want to ride both bikes without moving critical parts around everytime.

While I'm venting a little... this is why I LOVED my local Coop in the past, and why I HATE what it has become this year. Basically our Coop lost some state grant funding and decided it had to turn profit or close. I get that, takes money to pay the staff, rent, etc. But they L I T E R A L L Y threw away probably 1,000 pounds of old bike parts, vintage frames, shifters, chainrings, and racks and rack and racks of mounting bolts like this. Not to mention trashing an ENTIRE stand-up cabinet of NOS spokes. It used to be heaven for me to walk in there with a vintage bike need, and walk out with $15 spent on some rare but necessary stuff. Now it's all beat-to-hell 9 and 10 speed parts being sold (or trying to be sold) for near-retail prices. It's a damn shame because now it's just a *****ty version of an LBS.

Last edited by BRad704; 06-10-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:19 PM

Your LBS probably has a drawer full of these, many new brakes come with multiple nuts and most forks only need the shortest length.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:12 PM

I thought I needed one of those for a new-to-me Colnago EPS (thanks, Matthew) a couple of years ago. Figure I stopped at 10 different shops local to me looking for a 40mm nut but no dice. In the end I discovered that a tight fit/new-ish paint was keeping the nut from recessing far enough inside the fork crown to reach the initial threads of the caliper. (The "seat" for the nut is recessed more than I expected, much deeper inside the fork crown than in the case of my EP, for example.) Once firmly pressed in a bit, the supplied 36mm - as I recall - nut did the trick. But, yeah, 40mm nuts are hard to come by.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Your LBS probably has a drawer full of these, many new brakes come with multiple nuts and most forks only need the shortest length.
Good thought, but my main LBS only had a few in a bin up to 30mm max. Will check some other shops this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homagesilkhope View Post
I thought I needed one of those for a new-to-me Colnago EPS (thanks, Matthew) a couple of years ago. Figure I stopped at 10 different shops local to me looking for a 40mm nut but no dice. In the end I discovered that a tight fit/new-ish paint was keeping the nut from recessing far enough inside the fork crown to reach the initial threads of the caliper. (The "seat" for the nut is recessed more than I expected, much deeper inside the fork crown than in the case of my EP, for example.) Once firmly pressed in a bit, the supplied 36mm - as I recall - nut did the trick. But, yeah, 40mm nuts are hard to come by.
Yeah it's kinda crazy to me that modern groupsets on somewhat modern bikes don't have any provisions for anything longer than what they feel is the typical size.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:12 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113903350233

40mm on eBay?
Old 06-10-2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Yep. That’s exactly the one i ended up ordering earlier today.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Good thought, but my main LBS only had a few in a bin up to 30mm max. Will check some other shops this weekend.

Yeah it's kinda crazy to me that modern groupsets on somewhat modern bikes don't have any provisions for anything longer than what they feel is the typical size.
It's even worse with flat mount bolts.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
It's even worse with flat mount bolts.
This. What a crap system.