Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 03-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Return of the Team Miyata...

This is probably TL;Dr for many and not enough for a few, but here goes...

In high school, I worked at a Miyata dealer and purchased a Miyata 912 to start my racing career. I soon managed to acquire a Team Miyata. It was my 1st *real* race bike (read: tubulars not clinchers). How I acquired it is a story in and of itself...Thanks to Don Moore for helping a broke kid out.

Recently, A bunch a friends started doing Eroica California, resurrecting or buying outright a variety of classics. I wanted to join them but had sold the Team long ago, as well as many others over the years that would have fit the bill. However, none of the others (campy equipped Trek, Ciocc, Gios..etc) held quite the same nostalgia for me as the Team. I'm really not the nostalgic type...

But when this popped up in December...I'd finally found a reason.

Plenty of photos on the original condition in the classified thread.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=214371.

It was the exact same model year as mine... Full Dura-Ace EX, with the single boss EX shifters...failry uncommon....and the price was right (I knew it would need few parts).

The bike had obviously been ridden as evidenced by the nail polish touch ups here and there, but had sat neglected in a basement for over a quarter century according to the OP.

Upon arrival, I stripped it down and got to work.
The frame was in decent shape save a dent hidden by a oddly placed sticker on the headtube. I can't imagine the cause but it didn't affect the alignment or steering. Everything was straight. In addition, no rust was evident inside the frame...so far so good.

The majority of the parts cleaned up nicely and just needed some bearings and grease...both elbow and lubriplate. That generation of DA was rebuildable as was the style of the times ;-)

The headset races were pitted, but rotating and resetting cured the indexed steering.

Sadly, the tires and rims couldn't be salvaged. The tires looked like they had never hit pavement, as if they were mounted then the bike was mothballed for 30 years. The sidewalls were completely rotted out...as were the spares in the seatbag. So sad. The GP4 ferrules were rusted (common) and the nipples fused beyond even Kroil Oils magic. I just them out and laced them onto some new rims I had on hand.

Honestly the hardest part was getting the old adhesive residue off the fork. The precious owner had used what looked to be Gaffers tape to secure the wiring along the fork for an old Avocet computer. Dear God. It laughed at GooBeGone and my 3M industrial adhesive remover didn't make a dent. It came down to a Scoth Brite Dobie, followed by polishing compound.

Caveats to purists: Since I didn't have a pile of cash to throw at it, I placed a few constraints on myself so I didn't end up thowing tons of cash down the rabbit hole of a 'period restoration'.
-used an old flite saddle I had in the box, but thought it was better than the yellow one that was on it.
-used a pair of Mavic Reflex instead of chasing down some Arayas.
-used Black Cinelli cork instead of cloth, BUT there IS a layer of Cloth underneath to beef up the bars a bit ;-)
-King cage instead of the stock Minoura.
-Veloflex instead of Panaracer. I think I can be forgiven....

I DID spring on some period dura-ace EX brake levers, hoods, brake shoes, and brake barrel adjusters, the latter of which had fused to the ferrules and cable. Ouch.
Oh and a new set of frame decals. I've only replaced the downtube one at this point as it was really trashed from the owners use of a Minoura stand, but I'll do the seattube one soon as the gold is a slightly different shade.

A few nice surprises: Marco, the mechanic who facilited the sale, threw in the Shimano headset wrench! Thanks Marco!
I also came across the extra long 6mm and extension tube that came with the DA EX stem! It was in the seatbag. So cool.

I really liked this DA EX stuff. While quirky and sometimes a total PITA (see: headset wrench), it's obvious they were trying to be bleeding edge at the time for better or for worse. The aero stem, the tilt adjust on the seatpost, the spring loaded gate on the rear der cage, the "aero" shift levers, Dyna Drive Pedals...etc.

Will continue my search for a 26T cog, some not too insanely priced laminated toe straps and strap buttons.

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82BelleIsle.jpg (55.4 KB, 793 views)
File Type: jpg HDSTBB.jpg (117.7 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2850.jpg (105.9 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2853.jpg (139.5 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2925.jpg (151.2 KB, 784 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2926.jpg (151.0 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2928.jpg (147.8 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2929.jpg (140.1 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2930.jpg (136.1 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2932.jpg (78.3 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2934.jpg (95.6 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2935.jpg (93.6 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2936.jpg (149.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2851.jpg (62.2 KB, 387 views)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 PM
needs adult supervision

So cool!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:56 PM

Wow, I love reading stories like this! Sir, your restoration project is beautiful! Love those vintage Dura Ace bits! I hope you are able to ride many, many miles together in the future.

Wonderful!

Thanks for sharing your story and photos!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 PM

“Živeli” means “Cheers”

My friend,

The bike looks amazing. You did great job restoring the bike, it came out super nice.
It was meant to be I guess .... very nice and clean.
How was the first ride after the rebuild, did it brought back some memories from the past?
I'm glad that you got it, seriously it was a pleasure and it's a beautiful story .... things like this bring smile to my face, so happy for you.

Enjoy the bike and all the best.

Marko Protić
Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markoprotic View Post
My friend,

The bike looks amazing. You did great job restoring the bike, it came out super nice.
It was meant to be I guess .... very nice and clean.
How was the first ride after the rebuild, did it brought back some memories from the past?

Marko Protić
I'll let you know...Those tires still aren't glued. LOL.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Man, awesome bike! Great story, thanks for sharing.

Back in '83 I went from a 710 to a Pro frameset that I built with Nuevo Record. Great bikes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM

Great story. Hope it brings you many miles and smiles!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 AM

Job well done!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Great job on the restore and thanks for sharing the story.

How did the Team ride compared to your other steel rides?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:16 PM

This is really cool. You did a great job pulling it forward. Enjoy riding it. BTW, I recall a traditional 32mm headset wrench will work on that locknut with some care.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
BTW, I recall a traditional 32mm headset wrench will work on that locknut with some care.
very true. I've used them in the past, but the aluminum locknuts are soooo soft that "some care" is a bit of an understatement;-). It's nice to have the right tool for the job.

ps. I'm going to borrow the phrase "pulling it forward". That's a nicer way of saying "not period correct".
Old 03-15-2018, 08:05 PM
v a n i l l a

There have been few forum instances where older bikes have found exactly the right new homes. If for some reason I had purchased this and the story had surfaced, I would be compelled to catch and release. Your childhood bike. Your first girl/boy friend.

simply awesome. I recall when it first came your way. this is a great update.

I remember dreaming about Miyata's in the 80s at Spectrum Cycles in Sunnyvale.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:46 AM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-23-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:36 AM

Beautiful restoration and build. I started out on a Suntour Cyclone II equipped Miyata 1200.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
What a wonderful story. I hope that you enjoy Part 2 as fully as you obviously did Part 1.
I will for probably about 15 minutes;-) I'm no retro grouch by any means
(although most of my bikes *are* steel) and am pretty sure by about
mile 10 of Eroica I'll be pining for my comfy brake hoods and actual brakes.
My mile 50, I'll probably do just about anything to have my compact
cranks back. By the the end I'll have chucked it in the Pacific. This thing as 130BCD with a 53/42. LOL. I'm a dead man.