Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The bearing presses onto a seat, all the way down to the bottoming shoulder. The bearing might not be positioned fully down the seat, but it can't go beyond the bottom shoulder.

I had an old 11 crankset in the garage that needed new bearings so I popped off the old one on the NDS. This is what I'm talking about, the spindle is tapered, and I once overtraveled a new bearing and it bound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040049.jpg (50.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-23-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I had an old 11 crankset in the garage that needed new bearings so I popped off the old one on the NDS. This is what I'm talking about, the spindle is tapered, and I once overtraveled a new bearing and it bound.
I think you'll find that the diameter is constant where the bearing is seated and the taper is only in the transition between the spindle and the bearing seat. The bearing is intended to rest against the shoulder at the bottom of the seat. If the bearing bound when fully pressed on, then there may have been something caught in the space between the bearing and the crankarm. It would be a poor design to hold a bearing that is subject to thrust forces in a fixed location on a shaft merely by friction.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:11 PM

Ok, so it appears that the drag we are seeing with the new cranksets is due to the drag caused by the new seals. It's a surprising amount of drag but very similar to what Hambini shows in this clip - https://youtu.be/INPx9-YtgCA?si=8SE-P3_uNzhYfQfE&t=1846

It's interesting to note that on both cranksets, out of the box the DS bearings spin much easier than the NDS bearings.