Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 03:42 PM

OT: PayPal Dispute

I’ve purchased countless items through PayPal and sold a number as well. When I’ve had claims made against me (a MRP Ribbon fork needed its threads chased) I covered the cost because it’s damage I didn’t know about.

It’s my turn to make a claim, I purchased a wedding dress for my fiancée on the used market, and it arrived with tears and stains in the dress that weren’t documented. My documentation shows I specifically asked for all damage to be portrayed.

It’s a standard boutique dress that’s sold in standard sizes. PayPal is claiming it’s not covered by the goods and services protection because it is a custom made item. In reality it’s no more custom than a specialized frame you buy online…

My thinking is to write to the designer and confirm they only sell the dress in standard sizes (and no customs). And then provide a snapshot of the listing showing its label size as sold. Any other ideas on how I could protest the cancellation of the dispute?

TLDR; PayPal protection isn’t as good as I used to think it was. There are also further ramifications to these rules I didn’t know about, lots of custom bike frames out there… and to me they are no longer covered by PayPal.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:03 PM

Wow, this is very surprising to hear. Paypal was always known for their, almost blindly, siding with purchasers. If that doesn't work, I would contest the charge with your CC company.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:29 PM
Administrator

I've got no advice, but wanted to say you must be marrying a very practical woman to be good with a second hand dress. I know wedding costs can quickly get out of hand, and I applaud this kind of practical thinking.

I hope you get it sorted and you have a wonderful wedding.

Congratulations on getting hitched!
Old 02-22-2024, 04:56 PM

If you used a credit card through paypal, you could try pursuing the issue with them.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:59 PM

I think this is the policy, I think you have a case of argued correctly
https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/b...on#snad-claims

Might have to reopen the case if possible. This applies to custom stuff as well
Old 02-22-2024, 05:43 PM

Wow, sucks that you’ve run into this.

You’re right - the “custom or semi-custom” exclusion would rule out ANY claim against “high end” clothing (that would typically be altered to fit, even if OTR). And any custom bike. And arguably any bike with non-OEM parts installed.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
I think this is the policy, I think you have a case of argued correctly
https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/b...on#snad-claims

Might have to reopen the case if possible. This applies to custom stuff as well
You didn’t read far enough, semi-custom items are explicitly excluded. Any tailored items (even if originally OTR) would fall into that bucket. Which is really ****ty because what the OP described isn’t a dress that was labeled a size 4 and altered down, but a dress that has damage. The former should be excludable; the latter should be a valid claim. IMO.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:52 PM

Wow, that’s crazy….I totally overlooked that part.

Does this mean if you purchase any custom bike it’s not covered? I bought a few custom bikes over the years and just assumed if it showed up not as described would be covered. That’s nuts. I got a Seven once that had dent in it that was not disclosed, sent it right back but could this have been blocked?

What’s stopping people from just selling stuff and indicating it’s custom for “seller” protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
You didn’t read far enough, semi-custom items are explicitly excluded. Any tailored items (even if originally OTR) would fall into that bucket. Which is really ****ty because what the OP described isn’t a dress that was labeled a size 4 and altered down, but a dress that has damage. The former should be excludable; the latter should be a valid claim. IMO.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
That’s actually a really good point. It’s a standard dress but they shortened it. The damage has nothing to do with the alterations made, but if PayPal views it as because there’s alterations it’s a custom dress… we may be out of luck.

If you think about it it’s like buying a bike with a slammed stem, discovering there’s undisclosed damage to the bottom bracket shell, and being denied the claim because the fork was cut.

At the end of the day, not the end of the world. We will just be paying as much as if it’s new to get it all rectified, sometimes that’s how life works. It just makes me appreciate the purchases I’ve made in the bike community because there’s always been integrity.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:37 AM

The seller refused a return? Don’t forget to slam them in reviews.

If it’s repairable, that might be the least annoying path forward. Totally stinks for you, but gets you out of the email and phone call hell that is customer service today.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
Wow, this is very surprising to hear. Paypal was always known for their, almost blindly, siding with purchasers. If that doesn't work, I would contest the charge with your CC company.
I couldn’t agree with you any more. Purchaser screwed me in the past and I had no chance even with video evidence and photo evidence of the item taken by USPS. The person made a video of themselves “opening” the “empty box”. It took a lot for me to not just make the drive cross country to confront the person but it was only a couple hundred dollars.