Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 08:51 PM

My wife ran track, cross country and played basketball in high school. Shin splints ended anything past that. She's tried running a number of times since. Pain comes back straight away.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:00 PM

Hoka One

They are the best for this and knees too
Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 PM

You shouldn't give up hope of pain free running.

I've never suffered from shin splints, but I get pains in other places, so I get it. Your mind is in the right place. It's so much quicker to get the benefits of a ride from a run.
From my limited understanding of shin splints, they are usually related to gait and/or shoes. I wonder about diet sometimes since some people seem to be more prone to them than others. There are all kinds of stretches to combat them once you get them, but prevention is really what you're after.

I think it would be worth it to look around your area for someone who can analyze your running gait. I also think it would be worth it to try out some different types of shoes after you have someone look at how you're running.
You can tell a lot from your outsole wear on your old shoes, or by having someone follow you on a run, or watch your foot fall on a treadmill. Of course, those with higher education will say that's all pseudo-science and you need to be filmed in slo-mo with fancy equipment in order to know anything factual. But I don't have access to that kind of person easily...

While running, it's important to be aware of how your feet are landing and how your legs are working in order to keep everything feeling good over time. Along with appropriate mileage and rest periods.

For me, if I'm not doing the condition before running, and stretching after running, I will start feeling pain and discomfort. Running is not like riding a bike at all. I can't just muscle through it if I want to keep running all the time. There are loads of people on youtube putting out great content for runners and you've already got some good advice in this thread from runners. Though I would like to add that most of the high school runners that I coach that have suffered from shin splits run in hokas...They're too narrow for my feet, but I wouldn't think of them as the end all be all. I know soccer players that run solely in grass that get horrible shin splints so terrain isn't always the solution either. Remember shoes are like a bike saddle you've got to find one that works for you. The best part about shoes is last year's models can usually be found for what a bike tire goes for, so you won't go bankrupt experimenting.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:23 PM

I got shin splints for three years before finally getting prescription orthotics, which cured them entirely for almost two decades. I pronate, and even "support" shoes by themselves didn't cut it.

Everybody's biomechanics are different. One responder here might do well with minimalist neural shoes, another with super-cushioned Hoka's, and another with support shoes. Some people are biomechanically blessed and basically never get shin splints or knee pain. Lucky them.

You might at least start with this: https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a2...or-low-arches/, and then head to a good running store to see if they have someone who will check out your footstrike.

But take heart, because you can almost certainly fix this with the right shoes and a careful reintroduction to running.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:00 PM

Disclaimer I haven't read all the responses. But while doing physical therapy for some knee pain my PT suggested if I do wall squats using a core ball and if pointed my toes up (on heels) during said squats will help with shin splints. It helps strengthen the muscles associated with shin splints.

Worth a shot to try out in addition to stretches. Try for high reps like 15+ sets. I too would have shin splints when returning to running from extended periods off. Would also get them early on playing tennis as a teen in the beginning of the high school season. All winter would be couped up inside and then the hard back and forth on the court I'd get them the first couple of weeks.

Last edited by loxx0050; 07-01-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-02-2020, 04:29 AM

I have been running In brooks shoes and they are a definite step up from nikes. I echo go to a good running store and get fit. For me the running while cycling requires balance. I need to run 2-3 times a week to keep it enjoyable and not hurt. That means 2-3 less rides. But it helps with family life and I get to enjoy my children more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2020, 05:45 AM

Yeah, something biomechanically wrong. I rarely get shin splints, but if I do , it's when I change shoes to something that doesn't work for me.

My daughter had the same issues when she ran track. Nikes didn't work her, and when she switch to Asics Kayanos the problem went away. I also bought compression sleeves for her lower legs, which helped.

I definitely hit a reputable running shop which allows you to run on a treadmill and see your foot strike.

You might also want to do some of the stretches for shin splits. My first track coach in junior high school was religious about us doing this before every workout and I have had religion ever since.
Your calf muscles might be a little weak, so doing some toe raises on a stairs might help strengthen and stabilize the lower leg.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 07-02-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
They are the best for this and knees too
There is no one shoe that is "best" for everyone. In my case, I run in Mizuno lightweight trainers. I started running in Mizuno shoes that were slightly heavier, with more padding, but still neutral (versus stability).

I tried a pair of Hokas once. They felt wonderful in the store, on the treadmill, like I was running on a cloud. Then I ran with them outside, and it felt like I was running with pillows attached to my feet. Just didn't work for me.

Oh, and my son, who is an experienced runner, got a pair of the new(ish) Nike Vapor Fly shoes. Evidently, these force a slightly different running gait, and are not really supposed to be worn everyday. (Huh? Kinda like event wheels, right?) He ended up with the start of a stress injury and had to take six weeks off... Apparently not an uncommon problem for these shoes. Yikes.

So...find what's comfortable for you...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 07-02-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:39 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-iGZPtWXzE
Old 07-02-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLS View Post
Agree with advice on getting fit by a proper running store. I ran for 20+ years using same size running shoes (10.5) as my bike, dress, golf, etc shoes.

They sized me up a full size to 11.5. Felt like clown shoes at first but feel great and no more foot pain...and it has been 3+ years

Start slowly in time, distance and frequency. Your cycling aerobic fitness will not be in balance with your knees, ligaments, etc so prone to injury

I use running for the same purpose - gaps when I do not have time to ride but stay pretty consistent with at least one run weekly year round, generally 2-3 week.
Same exact thing happened to me when I started running a few years back. All my adult life I simply went to a shoe store and bought size 13's. I went to a good running store and they measured me as a 14 and I was like... Oh! Yeah that's it!
Old 07-02-2020, 02:08 PM

When I resume running after weeks or months off, I pretty much have to start with really short distances at quite-modest speed, away from steep hills.

If I do this, I can get up to "speed" (like five 11-minute miles, LOL) within ten days or so.

If I don't start so slowly, I usually end up with some sort of "injury" slowing my progress.

My happy level of maintenance mileage is 2-3x/week, doing like 4-6 eleven-minute miles. Going much above that becomes challenging and leaves my body feeling taxed.
I'm lightweight and @ late 50's btw.

Right before the CX season is when I must be able to run comfortably or suffer lower-leg issues during pre-season races.

Firmer shoes usually feel and work better as mileage increases.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:07 PM

Don't give up....after one run! LOL

Enjoy