Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2020, 05:21 PM

Steel Frame Repair in LA

I picked up a sweet old lugged steel Stumpjumper but it appears the frame may have been crashed at some point. Nothing major but I can see some slight stress on the headtube lugs and the rear-triangle appears to be slightly out of alignment.

-Does anyone know a reputable frame repair person in LA that could look at it and make repairs if necessary?

-Would something like this be worth fixing?

-Does anyone want it as is??

What do y'all think?
Old 03-05-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnptrjhnsn View Post
I picked up a sweet old lugged steel Stumpjumper but it appears the frame may have been crashed at some point. Nothing major but I can see some slight stress on the headtube lugs and the rear-triangle appears to be slightly out of alignment.

-Does anyone know a reputable frame repair person in LA that could look at it and make repairs if necessary?

-Would something like this be worth fixing?

-Does anyone want it as is??

What do y'all think?
Unless its a super rare or EXTREMELY sentimental frame, its not worth it.. Unless youve got a bunch of money you need something to do with.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:18 PM

Not LA, or even California, but when email YellowJersey about rolling a couple dents out, and preforming a full alignment on my RB-1 frame and fork, it was only $140. With shipping both ways, it would've been $240. If it's something you care about, you should be able to find someone local for the same money. If your plan is to to flip it, not worth the investment.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:28 PM
mentholated

if youre tall and ride big bikes i have a 1983 gary fisher i would sell you for a fraction of what the repair of the stumpy would cost. youd have to come pick it up from me in burbank.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:39 PM

Re:

I have a lugged Stumpjumper that was recently returned to me by a neighbor who bought it from me 20 years ago. The bike was left in weather at his river house most of that time.... many of the parts are corroded and unusable but the frame is straight and good except for weathered paint, but hey- you have to paint a repaired frame anyway!... I'm local and open to offers.

Last edited by bart998; 03-05-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Tags
framebuilder, framebuilding, stumpjumper, vintage mtb