Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2020, 12:04 PM
#RYFB

Chorus 12 FD failure -- need advice on warranty or other course of action

Seeking guidance from those of you knowledgeable on warranty from Campy on how best to proceed here.

I bought a Chorus 12 groupset from Merlin almost exactly a year ago, I've put 3250 miles on it, all on one bike. The front shifting had always been excellent, but recently I changed bars and in the process disconnected shift cables then reconnected and adjusted. Since then, front shifting has been poor, in particular to go from big to small I'd have to completely eliminate tension on the chain. I kept doing fine adjustments on cable tension and limits with minimal effect.

Well, just now I was looking at it and discovered the cause: the cage has broken at the junction between the outer portion and the spring. See slightly out of focus picture below (I'm pulling the cage to expose the gap).

This seems like something that should be under warranty, but given that I bought the groupset from overseas, I'm unsure how best to proceed.

Would very much appreciate advice, especially from those of you who work directly with Campy (lookin' at you, @velocipede, and of course OP). Thanks in advance.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:13 PM

95 bucks for a new one, what is your time worth?
Old 12-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Vendor

lol... I so wanna be a d!ck and be like, well, if you'd bought it from me blah blah blah. But I won't. Anyways, I reached out to CNA. Send me a really good pic of the damage and I'll see what I can do. info@velocipedeimports.com. Shouldn't be an issue. Just a matter of getting one.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:31 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
95 bucks for a new one, what is your time worth?
Fair, but it depends on the amount of time. I don't mind spending the time on a couple of email exchanges and even a trip to the post office, after that …

Then again, it's kind of a matter of principle. I have three other perfectly performing Campy FDs all of which are at least a decade old, so experience says this shouldn't happen.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:43 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
lol... I so wanna be a d!ck and be like, well, if you'd bought it from me blah blah blah. But I won't. Anyways, I reached out to CNA. Send me a really good pic of the damage and I'll see what I can do. info@velocipedeimports.com. Shouldn't be an issue. Just a matter of getting one.
Thanks so much, Michael. email sent.