Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 05-11-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
It's a generalisation, and it depends how you sit on the bike. But think about where your centre of mass is (if that's the right term?)

How do you find pedalling up hills when seated?

Have you considered stretching exercises?
Not sure what you mean about the first question. I don't think I pedal up hills any different than in the past, though I feel less powerful than I used to. Where I notice the biggest difference with this fit setup is hammering the flats. In short, I can't. I've also had bike handling problems with this fit which makes me think @OtayBW has a solid point.

I do stretch, but not as much as I need to. I can stretch all day every day, but I'm still going to be stiff. One positive thing I will say about this fit is I used to get a lot of low back pain after a few hours on the bike, and that hasn't really been an issue.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:37 AM

What is your height and inseam? A lot of people I've seen on the internet that claim to have long legs and a short torso have exaggerated the needs of their bike fits. There are bike racers out there with long legs and short torsos yet none of them have wonky looking setups. I'd just try to stick to the basics personally, put the bars level with the saddle and go down from there, 90-100mm stem on 52-54cm bikes and maybe go longer as the frame size goes up. Most people are probably more powerful with the saddle farther forward (time trial position) but it's not sustainable or comfortable, you need the saddle far enough back to be balanced. Put your butt against the wall and your heels against the wall and squat down. You can't without falling forward. Put your feet farther forward, now your center of gravity is back and you don't fall forward. Your saddle setback is exactly the same.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
For setback
I touch rear wheel to wall & measure distance from wall to center of bb
I then measure wall to nose of saddle
That may change everything. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
What is your height and inseam?
About 5'9ish, inseam is 86.5 cm.

Quote:
Most people are probably more powerful with the saddle farther forward (time trial position) but it's not sustainable or comfortable, you need the saddle far enough back to be balanced. Put your butt against the wall and your heels against the wall and squat down. You can't without falling forward. Put your feet farther forward, now your center of gravity is back and you don't fall forward. Your saddle setback is exactly the same.
Solid advice, thanks.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreen505 View Post
About 5'9ish, inseam is 86.5 cm.

Solid advice, thanks.
What’s your saddle height and what size bike are you riding? It sounds like you should probably be on a 56cm frame with a 90-100mm stem and the bars level with the saddle and you’d be fine.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
What’s your saddle height and what size bike are you riding? It sounds like you should probably be on a 56cm frame with a 90-100mm stem and the bars level with the saddle and you’d be fine.
That has been my assumption as well, but reality has proven different because I have yet to find a 56 with a tall enough head tube for that to be true. I'm currently riding a Desalvo with about a 53 ETT and 18.5 HT that gets me close.

A couple of fun bits for anyone following along. I haven't had the bike off the trainer yet, so we'll see how this all goes. Using @flying's measuring recommendations and John H's idea of using KOPS, I'm having better luck changing saddles and keeping the fit pretty consistent. KOPS is hard because it is very difficult to measure without a second person.

Second, I stumbled across a fit video from @Ti-Designs on youtube (https://youtu.be/tVlcjl05epA) that is worth a look.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreen505 View Post
That has been my assumption as well, but reality has proven different because I have yet to find a 56 with a tall enough head tube for that to be true. I'm currently riding a Desalvo with about a 53 ETT and 18.5 HT that gets me close.

A couple of fun bits for anyone following along. I haven't had the bike off the trainer yet, so we'll see how this all goes. Using @flying's measuring recommendations and John H's idea of using KOPS, I'm having better luck changing saddles and keeping the fit pretty consistent. KOPS is hard because it is very difficult to measure without a second person.

Second, I stumbled across a fit video from @Ti-Designs on youtube (https://youtu.be/tVlcjl05epA) that is worth a look.
What’s your saddle height out of curiosity? 53cm seems very short. One person I know is 5’7 with a 72cm saddle height and has 53cm top tube bikes, and another is maybe 5’4 has a 52.2cm ett on his bike. Also I wouldn’t get hung up on kops, if your saddle is in the right spot you will be able to take your hands off the bars in the drops and not pitch forward, you may even be able to ride no hands in that position if you have good core strength.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
What’s your saddle height out of curiosity? 53cm seems very short. One person I know is 5’7 with a 72cm saddle height and has 53cm top tube bikes, and another is maybe 5’4 has a 52.2cm ett on his bike. Also I wouldn’t get hung up on kops, if your saddle is in the right spot you will be able to take your hands off the bars in the drops and not pitch forward, you may even be able to ride no hands in that position if you have good core strength.
Saddle height is 77 cm from the bottom bracket. John H. was suggesting KOPS to compare relative saddle position of different size/shape saddles. E.g. if I'm 2 cm behind KOPS on my reference saddle, make sure I'm 2 cm behind KOPS on trial saddles.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
"Is saddle fore/aft position important"

This is where you start when fitting a bike and is very important.
Nope....should start with cleat position.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:51 PM
cmg

cleat position at the setting closet to the arch of the foot and work forward. The Dave Kirk set up is one of best set up practices, takes weight off the hands.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:40 PM

I'll only say this for now: there is no way you should rely on a trainer set-up to determine your fit. And yes, fore/aft is critical. But it varies by saddle (the sweet spot on saddle 1 can be 2cm from #2), usage (pounding out a pursuit on a track vs a 200km brevet), and of course anatomy, fitness, cleat position and crank length. The best place to fine tune it is on the road and take notes in a fit/training log. Trainers are too static.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:05 PM

I have similar physical proportions, and what worked - for me - was placing the cleats all the way back, so slightly behind the 1st metatarsal, getting a saddle that rotates my hips, and moving my saddle forward.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:46 PM

I usually own one bike at a time . I do not save measurements (always forget) but I have gone from road bike to f/s MTB to gravel ATM. On all the last three bikes I produce the same commonality.Cleats pushed back towards heel as far as they go. Saddle tilted down 1-2 is degrees below horizontal.170mm cranks(I am 5’6”) . Nose of saddle at least over BB or a bit forward. Altogether this produces a bike position that helps me rotate my pelvis enough to put proper power down in or out of the saddle. One of the checks is the ability to comfortably pedal hands of the pedals and still produce power.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:55 PM

So i work off of a ballpark seat height , TT length and stem length then adjust to each different bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2D1F45E9-CF6F-4F72-BBD9-5FC3C45FD95C.jpeg (74.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpeg 39DB6365-F9C7-4655-96D7-8441C3CD6CEC.jpeg (29.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 PM

Figured I'm due for an update. Trying some different saddles. I'm pretty happy with my saddle position. Still have too much weight on my hands causing numbness. The position feels good with a 90 cm stem, but handling is a little quicker than I'd like. So many variables.

Tags
bike fit, saddle