Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 02-03-2020, 10:58 AM

Fit Kit RAD Fitter

Looking for a fitter that uses Fit Kit’s RAD pedal system. Need adapters for Speedplay Zero pedals.
Prefer 250 mile radius of St. Louis, Mo.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Looking for a fitter that uses Fit Kit’s RAD pedal system. Need adapters for Speedplay Zero pedals.
Prefer 250 mile radius of St. Louis, Mo.
You shouldn’t need anything fancy to set up Speedplays. Once you determine fore-aft position, just put the cleats on the shoe. Set the release screws on the cleat so you don’t rub your heel on the seat stay, and so you have as much float to the outside as you want. The less float you use, the less you will have to move your heel out to release.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:28 PM

I want to go back to no float for knee issues.
I don’t want trial and error, or to spend countless hours playing with it.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Fit Kit RAD pedals are just free floating pedals with two indicators sticking out the side. One stays parallel to the pedal spindle, the other stays parallel to the cleat. You can make the same thing with a SpeedPlay pedal by attaching one indicator to the pedal, the other to the cleat with the rotation limit screws backed off.

The problem I have with your idea of going with zero rotation (It's rotation, not float with SpeedPlay) is that there are three somewhat defective pivots between you and the ground - hips, knees and ankles. The RAD pedals give you two related pieces of data. The first is the range of rotation your foot uses each time around the pedal stroke. The second is the centerpoint of that range, which is how you adjust the cleat with RADs. I would only set up zero rotation if I saw almost no range between the indicators as they pedaled the bike - that doesn't happen often.

There are exceptions. I tend to use black Look cleats or red Shimano SPD-SL cleats (zero float/rotation) if the person just had an ACL or MCL replaced. In that case rotation isn't going to do them any good, and I want them doing the exact same pedal stroke each time to regenerate a clean orbit on the joint.