Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 03-04-2020, 10:25 PM

Spindle Length

How does a fitter determine if a rider needs a longer pedal spindle?

When I switched to Speedplays from Time RXS (due to doctor’s recommendation after TKR) the fitter went with a 1/8” longer spindle. I never asked why, and he has left the area.
Considering a move to Shimano SPD SL and wonder if I should go with standard or +4mm spindle length.
Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:12 AM

An obvious reason to use longer spindles would be to keep your heels from hitting the crankarms if your feet tend to be toe out. Longer spindles are also used for creating a wider stance for some people that can't use a narrower Q-factor. This is a bit harder to determine without an experienced fitter.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:15 PM

I've used different length Speedplay pedal spindles, from the narrowest to the widest (about a half inch difference per side, as I recall). I didn't really notice much of a difference and doubt that you will at the increments that you are using.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:36 PM

On longer rides I would get knee pain above and below the knee cap and on the outer side. I chased cleat position, saddle height and setback for a long time and nothing seemed to work.

Going to longer spindles resolved this issue (+3 ultegra pedals, then +6 issi pedals).
Old 03-07-2020, 02:29 AM

ultra uses larger spindles aswell but i use keywin pedals.

In my case is because of the stance of my feet... like 1:50 pm my arches are super flexibles aswell so just counting those two factors my ankles tend to touch the cranks, same with the heels touching the frame stays.

As older i got the worse it got, now i correct my stance in two ways, one with carbon fiber insoles and with longer axles in the pedals. A pain I had in my hip kind'a disapeared aswell, but that has to do aswell I imagine with the search of another saddle.

I just cant put my shoes too close to the crankset because just to start I cant unclip because i cant swing my foot, thats the 1st indication that your cleats are in the wrong angle position, you can't swing or is hard to swing the shoe to unclip.