Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Firefly ebike prototype

I was cruising reddit and noticed “some guy” building up a new electric commuter. Turns out it’s an owner of Firefly. Bosch 3D printed some mounts and he(I’m assuming?) was building it up.

https://reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments...muter_project/
Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 AM

It appears that FF has a Rapha party or something last weekend where they were going to show a prototype, so this make sense. If anyone here reads this and can post would be interesting.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:36 AM

I'm in Switzerland riding as we speak

ebikes ubikquitus.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
ebikes ubikquitus.
Riding home yesterday..along 26th street..bike lane..very slight uphill..got dusted off by some guy on an ebike, fatbike, thing..he's not pedaling at all..but going almost the speed limit(25mph), in the bike lane..he stops at stoplight..looks both ways, pedals about 3 times and off he goes..not pedaling..and he ran the red light too..

geez..electric scooters..
Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Riding home yesterday..along 26th street..bike lane..very slight uphill..got dusted off by some guy on an ebike, fatbike, thing..he's not pedaling at all..but going almost the speed limit(25mph), in the bike lane..he stops at stoplight..looks both ways, pedals about 3 times and off he goes..not pedaling..and he ran the red light too..

geez..electric scooters..
Isn't it nice that at least he wasn't driving a car? He even stopped at the stoplight :-)

Last edited by fa63; 09-17-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:10 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Tyler and Jamie...awesome new development. Thank you both for all your great thinking.
We all have pals that we would love for them to be able to join us on our rides.
This is something that would see frequent use in my household for all the reasons mentioned.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Steel..what else??

When do they become scooters?
At a certain speed they should travel on the road.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
When do they become scooters?
At a certain speed they should travel on the road.
100% agree.. e'assist', sure, why not..but e'drive'? I see motorized scooters in the bike lane all the time too...
Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
100% agree.. e'assist', sure, why not..but e'drive'? I see motorized scooters in the bike lane all the time too...
Here in Massachusetts, regulations allow e-bike in on-street bike lanes, but not off-street recreation paths. This seems reasonable to me, but I suspect that there will be little to no enforcement on the many rail trails here in Massachusetts. Earlier this year, there was collision death on the Minuteman Bikeway rail trail in Lexington, MA, largely due to a rider going faster than appropriate for the conditions. As it is now, the number of riders on recreation paths that can and do ride too fast is limited. But if e-bike users start riding the paths, there will be no double be more of these collisions.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 AM

that looks great, SVEN has been making some nice hand made electric frames recently. I think these are a great addition to the bicycle family.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:21 AM
DELETE ACCNT

This argument has nothing to do with ebikes. Was the accident you cited even involving an ebike? The same false logic could be applied to cars, but is not. The speed limits are enough legislation, as is for MUPS. The last thing I want is more legislation regarding bicycle sales.

High power cars are 'penalized' in two ways: Both only affect the owner of the car: luxury tax and insurance rates.
Insurance rates determined by several factors, but leave gov legislation out of it.
If we were to apply the same standard to bicycles, road racing bikes would be heavily taxed and most expensive to insure due to speed, likelyhood of crash and accidents as well as high maintenance.

The vast majority of ebikes are 'work' utility bikes.

The only legislation that should be out there is taxpayer funds allocated to segregated bike lanes and making more of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Here in Massachusetts, regulations allow e-bike in on-street bike lanes, but not off-street recreation paths. This seems reasonable to me, but I suspect that there will be little to no enforcement on the many rail trails here in Massachusetts. Earlier this year, there was collision death on the Minuteman Bikeway rail trail in Lexington, MA, largely due to a rider going faster than appropriate for the conditions. As it is now, the number of riders on recreation paths that can and do ride too fast is limited. But if e-bike users start riding the paths, there will be no double be more of these collisions.

Last edited by pasadena; 09-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Very nice, but Oy!......
Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Are there fat slobs riding ebikes - Yes - but better than just sitting

Are there lazy millenials that think it is cool to buzz you on their ebike - Yes and deserve the pump in the wheel treatment

Are there former good cyclists whose bodies are falling apart and these can get them home from their former circuit - Yes
- am I in this crowd - yes - but just slowing down, shortening rides, hoping for that blast of 20something energy in my legs again....

But are we carbon neutral YES!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
But are we carbon neutral YES!!!!!!!!!
Do you charge your e-bike with your own solar cells or wind turbine? If not, it is probably not carbon neutral. In the US, 65% of electricity is generated from fossil fuels (and we have a highly inter-linked power network, so odds are that wherever you are in the US, you're getting some of your power from carbon sources). Not even pedal bikes are carbon neutral.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Oh my goodness...
All things being equal, my preference is to see a bicycle, a tricycle, or a unicycle next to me while pedaling on a roadway.
Incremental little steps all help with making everyday bicycle life a bit nicer.