Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 AM

OT - External Monitor for Mac Book Air Help

I just got a standing desk which I love but I use a laptop and my head is constantly cranked down looking at the screen. I would like to set up my laptop to an external monitor which I can have high up. If anyone has a reasonably affordable set up that they like could you please share? Thank you!

Wes
Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 PM
Happy Hourist

I use an HP 27er as recommended by a salesperson at Apple. Works great, needed some connecting piece to get the laptop to talk to the monitor.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post
I just got a standing desk which I love but I use a laptop and my head is constantly cranked down looking at the screen. I would like to set up my laptop to an external monitor which I can have high up. If anyone has a reasonably affordable set up that they like could you please share? Thank you!

Wes
You can use pretty much any monitor that has an HDMI or DVI port (you'll need the appropriate Apple adapter cable). I'm currently using two Dell 20" monitors side by side. If i were to do it over, I'd pick up a used 27" Apple Cinema Display with a Thunderbolt connection.

Or get a Sony 32" XBR flat screen. Just depends on how you're going to position/mount the monitor and how much screen real estate you need...

As long as you're at it, pick up a pair of B&W MM-1 powered speakers for sound.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 10-15-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post

Wes
First choice would be a Thunderbolt display from Apple or a comparable display here.

https://www.imore.com/best-alternati...erbolt-display

Thunderbolt would be the best 1 cord solution and allow the external monitor to act as a sound and data hub as well. This is my preferred setup compared to a simple display adapter which only carries Video.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:15 PM

I'm selling a mint condition 30" Apple Cinema Display if that would be of interest Wes?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Another option is hook up an Apple TV to regular TV and mirror through that.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Get a monitor, can't recommend a TV - they are designed to run for less than 8 hours a day, full brightness, with a lot of input lag since they are passive devices. Monitors are designed to run at moderate brightness, for 12+ hours a day, with no input lag.

Input lag is when you move the mouse or type and there's a delay seeing the mouse move or characters appear on the screen. There are some tvs that do well as a double duty, but generally speaking the good tvs with the latest tech start at 40" - small tvs are a few generations behind since there is much less demand and profit.

New monitors are pretty cheap now. You can get 4k monitors for $300 that aren't terrible. Costco has excellent stock and very easy returns. Make sure you Air can output the resolution you want to run at though.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:36 AM

Buying a second hand Apple Cinema Display with thunderbolt connection (not display port) is the way to go. Relatively cheap these days too, and look really good.

Apple TV is useful for watching videos that you’ve downloaded on a tv but the lag is too painful for any serious business use IMO.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:42 AM

Dell has a pretty good monitor selection in a variety of sizes and price points. Depends on what your needs are but you can probably find a good fit at dell
Old 10-17-2018, 08:11 AM

i use a hp connnected by dvi cable
Old 10-17-2018, 09:47 AM

Moniprice

They have a 28” for 219
Old 10-18-2018, 05:27 AM

What model of Air? Most of them won't be able to drive a 4k monitor