Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Don’t forget to consider storage of the case after you’re done with your trip. If you live in an apartment, a hard case takes up a lot of space. Maybe not a problem if you live in a big house and can chuck into a basement.

I like the pika pack works cause it folds up into a smallish box and I can chuck it into the back of a closet. It’s served me well for 6 or 7 trips without an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2018, 08:17 PM

I purchased Scicon's AeroTech Evolution in 2017. Used it twice. Did ok, but i would not repurchase. For nearly $1,000 it just isn't what it should be. I'll look elsewhere. My frames are 58cm square and it was tough getting the bike in as well.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 PM

Like the Pika as you can fit in car packed or unpacked. Have checked my wife’s 50 cm carbon bike from Hawaii to Italy probably a dozen times without an issue. Only avoided paying for a bike once or twice though. Always well under 50 lbs even with some other gear packed in side. My 56 cm bikes fit okay too when I have used. You do need to pull the rear derailleur and remove the stem/bar assembly. Di2 makes it easier to remove. I also put pipe insulation on her tubes with tie wraps for extra safety. Takes about 30 minutes to pack and unpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Administrator

There is almost zero chance I would ever fly with a non coupled bike; too much hassle for me.

The modern solution is bikeflights shipping. Find a local shop or hotel to accept the shipment and have the bike waiting for you at your destination. Way less trouble and expense than flying with a full sized case.

I fly a LOT. Just my opinion
Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
There is almost zero chance I would ever fly with a non coupled bike; too much hassle for me.

The modern solution is bikeflights shipping. Find a local shop or hotel to accept the shipment and have the bike waiting for you at your destination. Way less trouble and expense than flying with a full sized case.

I fly a LOT. Just my opinion
Alaska doesn't charge oversize fee for bikes (sports equipment) and according to multiple reps they know to keep the box upright. I trust that a lot more than the tossing of a FedEx transit.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Alaska doesn't charge oversize fee for bikes (sports equipment) and according to multiple reps they know to keep the box upright. I trust that a lot more than the tossing of a FedEx transit.
Properly packed, a bike should survive Fedex. I had no issues with Fedex Ground and my Iron Case. They did lose a tag off the case once, but I had written my contact information on the case too. They apologized for the delay; I had n other bikes I could ride so it was no big deal.

And your bike survived its original shipping by boat and truck from wherever...I would trust Fedex far more than most airport luggage handlers. And...as I noted before...TSA may fully unpack your bike, lose your small bits, and then try to cram it back into the box. Good luck with that.

My bike was always insured for far more than I had into it (but not as much as full retail replacement). Each time I shipped, I was just a bit disappointed that they didn't lose it.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-19-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post
I went with the BIKND HELIUM V4 and am very pleased with it. It is really well made and has room for two sets of wheels.

I thought the price was a bit high but figured it was worth it to protect nice bikes. Packs up into a compact size for storage when not in use.

Excellent product.

In your experience have the TSA agents ever deflated the airbags, then not been able to reinflate them again? I like the idea but those airbags and how they must be pumped up leave me thinking that TSA would surely want to be checking to make sure nothing else other than air is in there, and then not really spend much time faffing about getting air into them again.
How many times have you traveled with it, International?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Two wheels good

I've been using one of these. Not too heavy and a good design with lots of handles. Just remove the wheels, pedals and take off the bars and rear derailleur (don't de-cable, just take off and swing around).