Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Her BAL was 0.4.
No way! That's practically comatose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content
Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
There are drug rehab programs in prison. In some cases Inmates can reduce their sentence if they complete the program/programs
Yup, but
Quote:
An estimated two-thirds (68 percent) of 405,000 prisoners released in 30 states in 2005 were arrested for a new crime within three years of release from prison, and three-quarters (77 percent) were arrested within five years, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) announced today
The 'system' is lacking plus the drug laws makes for a bunch of non violent, small time drug users filling the jails..PLUS the DC push for private prisons doesn't help BUT..yup, I hope this person doesn't get high/drunk and drive after she's out but chances are, she will...
Old 10-16-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, but

The 'system' is lacking plus the drug laws makes for a bunch of non violent, small time drug users filling the jails..PLUS the DC push for private prisons doesn't help BUT..yup, I hope this person doesn't get high/drunk and drive after she's out but chances are, she will...
However the result in this case was very violent, resulting in death to the rider and severe loss and suffering to the family.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalax View Post
However the result in this case was very violent, resulting in death to the rider and severe loss and suffering to the family.
Correct and her sentence will probably reflect that BUT her chances of not repeating, because of not only the prison system into which she will be placed but also the situation she will return to after getting out, are small..she's not facing execution of life behind bars, she will get out.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
No way! That's practically comatose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content
Five times the legal limit.

https://tucson.com/news/local/driver...=home-trending
Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
That's an astounding amount of booze.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
That's an astounding amount of booze.
Yes it is. My close riding buddy has an alcoholic wife, she's reasonably operable in the 0.3s but her eyes roll back in her head and they take her to the emergency room at 0.45.

Trying to drive at 0.4 is impossible for hard core long time alcoholics, no wonder it ended up this way.

Before anyone yells at me about excusing any drunk driving, I'm not. In the day and age of Uber there's no reason to ever drink and drive.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzer View Post
In the day and age of Uber there's no reason to ever drink and drive.
Will Uber even take a passenger who's that wasted? They're surely a threat to throw up and otherwise trash the vehicle, and their actions would be totally unpredictable.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:07 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzer View Post
Yes it is. My close riding buddy has an alcoholic wife, she's reasonably operable in the 0.3s but her eyes roll back in her head and they take her to the emergency room at 0.45.

Trying to drive at 0.4 is impossible for hard core long time alcoholics, no wonder it ended up this way.

Before anyone yells at me about excusing any drunk driving, I'm not. In the day and age of Uber there's no reason to ever drink and drive.
It sounds like just a couple more drinks and she wouldn't have been on the road at all.

She must have driven up there that morning since the park is closed to vehicles 8-8. She had to be wasted before she went up there.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Correct and her sentence will probably reflect that BUT her chances of not repeating, because of not only the prison system into which she will be placed but also the situation she will return to after getting out, are small..she's not facing execution of life behind bars, she will get out.
I'm not sure what prison or prison system your taking about? Private?

The prison system here in CA makes a concentrated effort to assist and offer programs to help inmates while in prison and help their return to society.

Worked for two prisons in CA. for many years as a Vocational instructor. Inmates are assigned counselors that play a significant role providing guidance to inmates through out their sentence.

All the academic and vocational programs include life skills in their curriculum from the most entry level. Inmates without a HS or GED are assigned into education programs in classification. Many inmates get their GED and or complete their HS while in these programs. Within the education department both academic and vocational there are programs for Anger Management, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Employment Preparation, Substance Use Disorder Treatment, Arts in Corrections and many others including AA programs from outside volunteers that assist an inmate with social and personal development. To find and maintain work is a main factor in recidivism across the nation, these programs help reduce recidivism. I have personally witnessed many lives changed because of these programs and the prison system I worked.
The programs are there, it's up to the person to want change and better his or her live.

Last edited by Tony; 10-16-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I'm not sure what prison or prison system your taking about? Private?

The prison system here in CA makes a concentrated effort to assist and offer programs to help inmates while in prison and help their return to society.

Worked for two prisons in CA. for many years as a Vocational instructor. Inmates are assigned counselors that play a significant role providing guidance to inmates through out their sentence.

All the academic and vocational programs include life skills in their curriculum from the most entry level. Inmates without a HS or GED are assigned into education programs in classification. Many inmates get their GED and or complete their HS while in these programs. Within the education department both academic and vocational there are programs for Anger Management, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Employment Preparation, Substance Use Disorder Treatment, Arts in Corrections and many others including AA programs from outside volunteers that assist an inmate with social and personal development. To find and maintain work is a main factor in recidivism across the nation, these programs help reduce recidivism. I have personally witnessed many lives changed because of these programs and the prison system I worked.
The programs are there, it's up to the person to want change and better his or her live.
You obviously have much more info and experience than I do..I just look at the recidivism rates for this type of thing and it's depressing. I feel sorry for the family of the gent that was killed but I hope that this 20 year old comes out the other end much, much better than she went in...Both for her sake and any potential victims that may end up in front of her. Arizona prison system...
Old 10-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
You obviously have much more info and experience than I do..I just look at the recidivism rates for this type of thing and it's depressing. I feel sorry for the family of the gent that was killed but I hope that this 20 year old comes out the other end much, much better than she went in...Both for her sake and any potential victims that may end up in front of her. Arizona prison system...
Forgot to mention that as a vocational instructor we all had to develop a Trades Advisory Committee, TAC. These are folks working in their specific trades. All instructors are required to meet monthly with their TAC members on current technologies in their trade. These TAC folks would get clearance with the institution to come in and speck to the inmate students several times a year.
Many students in my program received jobs after their release with my TAC members. The vocational welding program had a very high rate of inmate employment with their TAC members.

Last edited by Tony; 10-17-2018 at 01:13 PM.